The Student Room Group

Any GCSEs straight grade 8/9s students advice for Year 11?

I’m in Year 11 now and have my mocks soon and I want to do extremely well since my mocks in Year 10 were horrible. My mocks are in October (German Speaking) and November.

What should I do to revise/study them and study for GCSEs please?

I don’t really know what studying techniques work for me plus for English Lit I can’t write a really good essay and for Lang I suck at everything. For Maths and Sciences I always think that I understood it but then I do the real test and fail miserably (>_< ).
I don’t know how to revise Geography,German and Religious Studies as well.

I really want to turn my grades around and do well (T^T ) What should I do everyday? Plus how should I plan my studying sessions for my mocks if everyday I get homework while having a test almost every week that I have to revise for?

I watched this S.Korean documentary about schools there and a class managed to finish a 1 hour GCSE Maths paper in 15mins! That’s seriously goals as I would love to be that great at Maths but I’m struggling so much(T^T )

Please do you guys have ANY tips/advice for Year 11s wanting to achieve high grades?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not a 'straight 8/9' student, but if you need any help for English (Edexcel), I can definitely offer your advice.
past papers, and cramming if you have to (predicted a 3 and got a 8 in History by revising on the morning of the exam for my second paper )
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Tolgarda
I'm not a 'straight 8/9' student, but if you need any help for English (Edexcel), I can definitely offer your advice.

Thank you! Sadly the exam board I’m doing is WJEC/Eduquas for English (>-< ) do you have any general tips that I can still apply?
Reply 4
Original post by AngelStarfire
Thank you! Sadly the exam board I’m doing is WJEC/Eduquas for English (>-< ) do you have any general tips that I can still apply?

Yes! I do, but they are really general and basic. It isn't like maths where the awarding body generally doesn't matter.

I would advise reading more often (anything really, from books to articles), this will help you expand your vocabulary. I also feel like you should learn a few quotes from your prescribed texts in literature, but ones that you consider versatile, so that they have a great coverage over a myriad of interpretations. This is very efficient and allows you to go into the exam with confidence as you will be prepared for a good number of questions (I discovered from my results that this was a game changer). Don't get form and structure missed up in the exam, and try and show a rich knowledge of context when it is getting marked. You should practice copious past papers so that you know what you must do to get the highest mark in the exam, this is crucial for hitting the top grades.

Sorry, I wish I could have been more useful. :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Yes! I do, but they are really general and basic. It isn't like maths where the awarding body generally doesn't matter.

I would advise reading more often (anything really, from books to articles), this will help you expand your vocabulary. I also feel like you should learn a few quotes from your prescribed texts in literature, but ones that you consider versatile, so that they have a great coverage over a myriad of interpretations. This is very efficient and allows you to go into the exam with confidence as you will be prepared for a good number of questions (I discovered from my results that this was a game changer). Don't get form and structure missed up in the exam, and try and show a rich knowledge of context when it is getting marked. You should practice copious past papers so that you know what you must do to get the highest mark in the exam, this is crucial for hitting the top grades.

Thank you so much!! Don’t worry you were really helpful! I’ll try my best to follow these tips!
I’m in Year 11 now and have my mocks soon and I want to do extremely well since my mocks in Year 10 were horrible. My mocks are in October (German Speaking) and November.

I don’t really know what studying techniques work for me plus for English Lit I can’t write a really good essay and for Lang I suck at everything. For Maths and Sciences I always think that I understood it but then I do the real test and fail miserably (>_< ).

I really want to turn my grades around and do well (T^T ) What should I do everyday? Plus how should I plan my studying sessions for my mocks if everyday I get homework while having a test almost every week that I have to revise for?

I watched this S.Korean documentary about schools there and a class managed to finish a 1 hour GCSE Maths paper in 15mins! That’s seriously goals as I would love to be that great at Maths but I’m struggling so much(T^T )

Please do you guys have ANY tips/advice for Year 11s wanting to achieve high grades?

I think maths is the only subject that any school should be worrying about, other subjects are just “show” you learn nothing but waste of time.
I didn’t read the whole message btw
6 girls got straight 9s in our school. One of them was me. I did a lot of flashcards and crying. Flashcards mostly - so I made one for every single little thing in the sciences textbooks, and went through them multiple times until I had them all down. Same with dates for History and vocab for Latin Lang. For Latin Prose and Verse, I used the usual strategy - write down the English with linking words, about thirty lines at a time, and memorise it that way. I made about a side of quotes for English Lit. I did not revise for English Lang and Maths. For Further Maths, I did a lot of practice questions and memorised equations.
I didn't revise for French either, but you probably should do that, especially for the speaking exam. Don't lose marks like I did by trying to bluff your way through it. I scraped a 9 so barely it's painful.

go on YouTube for english I watch Mr salles he does aqa really good but I'm sure there r other youtubers who do ur exam board, for maths use mathswatch or mathsgenie science use freescience lessons and homework just do it at break or lunch, I'm in yr 11 aswell all of that works for me and my grades have gone up since then
Reply 10

thats the exam board i done but i got a 7 in my english. still message if u need advice tho
Reply 11
i got 998 in triple science after only getting 6s in every mock, i used a lot of flashcards (i made flashcards for literally the whole spec) then used them on my half hour bus journey to and from school. This is because you need to make sure you are writing the correct information in your exams and not waffling and forgetting key information.
Original post by angelstarfire
i’m in year 11 now and have my mocks soon and i want to do extremely well since my mocks in year 10 were horrible. My mocks are in october (german speaking) and november.

What should i do to revise/study them and study for gcses please?

I don’t really know what studying techniques work for me plus for english lit i can’t write a really good essay and for lang i suck at everything. For maths and sciences i always think that i understood it but then i do the real test and fail miserably (>_< ).
I don’t know how to revise geography,german and religious studies as well.

I really want to turn my grades around and do well (t^t ) what should i do everyday? Plus how should i plan my studying sessions for my mocks if everyday i get homework while having a test almost every week that i have to revise for?

I watched this s.korean documentary about schools there and a class managed to finish a 1 hour gcse maths paper in 15mins! That’s seriously goals as i would love to be that great at maths but i’m struggling so much(t^t )

please do you guys have any tips/advice for year 11s wanting to achieve high grades?

i got grade 9 in rs and 8s in science!!!!

Hi I am doing Edexcel. Do you have any specific advice for that exam board?

Hi! I somehow managed to get 10A*s, simply because I kept going over practise and past papers again and again. Just drill the exam technique into your head, and if you got questions wrong go over them again throughly in the textbook. If you do this process then you should be good :smile:
Original post by A level RPP
i got grade 9 in rs and 8s in science!!!!

That’s awesome! Do you have any advice/tips for achieving the same grades please?
Past papers are a big help. For English, you should do exam questions and ask your teacher to mark them and provide verbal feedback to you.
Original post by B-sian
i got 998 in triple science after only getting 6s in every mock, i used a lot of flashcards (i made flashcards for literally the whole spec) then used them on my half hour bus journey to and from school. This is because you need to make sure you are writing the correct information in your exams and not waffling and forgetting key information.

Congrats on your results! (>~< ) Also thank you for responding! When you said that you made flashcards for the whole spec what do you mean exactly? I’m really sorry that I don’t understand(>-< )
I would say the thing that helped me the most at GCSE to get straight 8s&9s was past papers! i know there's not a lot for the new syllabus but use questions from the old syllabus and textbooks. also start early. people always say start after easter but honestly i started past papers in january so by the time it got to easter i wasn't stressed or had a mountain to do
I got 6s all year for both English Lang and Lit. Be confident in your writing, and make sure basics are correct in terms of grammar, spelling and structure. What I found helped with the books (mostly Macbeth, as that killed me), was mindmaps - do part on context, part on characters, part on key themes and include quotes in these areas. Also extend your vocabulary, so that you seem far more into the subject than you probably really are...

For Geography, I'd say make posters. Posters are good for the main parts (so hazards, do a poster for each hazard for example). I think the main part of Geography is case studies though, as if you remember the case studies you'll remember the theory behind it (mostly for human stuff, for physical make sure you remember the key words and phrases). For each case study, outline it in as much detail in a word document and compile them all together for each topic. Then, create flash cards as a summary for each of these, and make sure to remember some facts, figures and dates for these as they're the true indicator that you've learned them.

Sceince - state the obvious. Build it up. Make sure you understand the basics of what you've been learning. Back in the day when there were six markers, you'd have to make sure you'd know the basics and then elaborate. Best thing for this is flashcards - make flashcards on literally everything! That's how I got my As in sciences.

Maths is formulas and practice.

Good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest