The Student Room Group

Need help choosing right UNI!

Hi, I'm a 20-year-old Creative Media student from Bristol and basically I'm looking to go to University next year, I've chosen 5 Universities, but I don't know if they're good unis for Film/Media Production, I've chosen;

1.Middlesex Uni,
2.Bournemouth University (Not UAB),
3.UCA - University of Creative Arts,
4.Falmouth University
5. UWE - University of West England (Frenchay)

I don't know if these Universities are ACTUALLY good for what I want to do, so I want to ask you guys for help!

Thanks. :smile:
None of those are good uni's in my opinion, nor is that a good degree choice tbf.

But if your going to do media, Royal Holloway or at least somewhere in London, (but not there) more like goldsmiths.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
None of those are good uni's in my opinion, nor is that a good degree choice tbf.

But if your going to do media, Royal Holloway or at least somewhere in London, (but not there) more like goldsmiths.

Not gonna ask what OP's grades are? Seem to be jumping the gun, my venerable friend.
Original post by Notoriety
Not gonna ask what OP's grades are? Seem to be jumping the gun, my venerable friend.

Goldsmiths and Royal Holloway are like BBB-BBC universities...nothing crazy lol.
Reply 4
Oh Crap, forgot to so say what I mainly want to do in the future with the degree and all, basically i want to learn post production type work, script writing, screen writing and a bit of filming, and my qualifications aren't that bad, I've got my Maths and English (Maths is FL2 & English C), I've done BTEC L2 to get some extra GCSE's, Right now i'm doing UAL Creative Media 2nd year, so i'm going for a Merit (120UCASP) or a Distinction (168UCASP), i already have 48 UCAS points from IT L3 first year and doing the first year of my course, also I've just checked both the universities Realitysreflexx said and they're both great Uni's but I doubt I'd be able to get in with what Qualifications I have and will be hoping to get in the future.

I can't recommend London Metropolitan University enough, it really does live up to it's name and would very much urge you to apply to it.
Original post by Abdul/Vex
Hi, I'm a 20-year-old Creative Media student from Bristol and basically I'm looking to go to University next year, I've chosen 5 Universities, but I don't know if they're good unis for Film/Media Production, I've chosen;

1.Middlesex Uni,
4.Falmouth University

I don't know if these Universities are ACTUALLY good for what I want to do, so I want to ask you guys for help!

Hi,

Nice to hear that you are considering Middlesex University as one of your options :smile:
I am currently finishing my masters and I did my bachelor here at Middlesex as well.
I have really loved my time here and there is so much to get involved in.
There are sports, societies, jobs on campus and volunteering opportunities. There are students coming from all over the world and it is a very welcoming environment.
I did my bachelor in the Media department and I really enjoyed it.
The facilities are amazing and you will really get to work on your creativity. At the end of the three years, you will get to showcase your work to industry experts in a show. However, even during your whole course you will get to have guests speakers that will give you tips for your projects. :smile:
Have a look at this link: https://www.mdx.ac.uk/about-us/our-faculties/faculty-of-arts-and-creative-industries/media

Hope it helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Have a great day
Ludovica
I would point out, a lot of people here will immediately jump to London unis or RG unis, however for your chosen field - Film Production - the relevance of such things is much less. I would suggest checking e.g. UNISTATS to see what sectors graduates end up working in, and how many get a 2:1/1st etc. You should also see what people who actually work in your desired profession think, and where they studied.
Original post by Slaughter&Ovary
I can't recommend London Metropolitan University enough, it really does live up to it's name and would very much urge you to apply to it.

Thanks for the recommendation @Slaughter&Ovary :smile: We certainly think it's a great uni. Have a lovely day!

1.Middlesex Uni,
4.Falmouth University

Hi @Abdul/Vex,

I noticed that someone recommended London Met Uni as an option to you (thanks @Slaughter&Ovary), so just wanted to follow up to say hello as the official London Met rep.

We offer lots of interesting film and media production courses here at London Met, that you might be interested in, such as Film and Television Studies and also Journalism, Film and Television Studies. I've linked the courses to the relevant webpages so that you can take a look to see what you think.

We also have courses on Theatre and Film, in addition to Theatre and Film Production Design. Here's a summary of all of the courses in these areas, that you might find useful.

Here at London Met we're really proud of our employability record. 96.7% of our graduates were either in work or engaged in further study within six months of graduation (Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education survey 2016–17, released July 2018).

We're based in the heart of London, which as you know is a fab city :smile: We have loads of amazing facilities for our students and lots of great societies that you can join or activities to get involved with. You can get experience as a journalist, graphic designer, DJ, researcher or technical assistant with our student magazine and radio station.

Take a look at our video which will give you a sense of what it would be like to study with us.
[video="youtube;YUQYxZJaTgA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUQYxZJaTgA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

If you need any more info, just let me know.

Have a great day!
Nonie
(edited 5 years ago)

1.Middlesex Uni,
4.Falmouth University

Hi @Abdul/Vex, :hello:

It's so great to hear that you're considering UWE Bristol as one of your university choices!

Just to give you a bit of info about studying filmmaking and related courses here. We've recently invested in a new £9 million building, Bower Ashton studios, which is where a lot of your course would be based if you chose to study at UWE Bristol. This building has state-of-the-art facilities, with everything from digital media studios to editing suites, so you can be sure that you will have everything you need. This building is based next to the stunning Ashton Court, so you really do get stunning views - which you're probably familiar with, being from Bristol!

It's also worth mentioning that 81% of students on this course achieve a first or a 2:1 at the end of their degree. I attended the Creative Industries Degree Show earlier this year and saw the creations of some of our extremely talented filmmaking students, and I have to say that they were incredibly impressive.

If you're Bristol-based and have some time free this Saturday, why not attend our open day? We also have one on the 17th November if you're not available.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best wishes,

Lois
Reply 11
I would like to say thank you to everyone who commented, I will be looking and doing a bit more research into each of the universities that you have suggested, I will also be looking to go to some of the Open days for these universities. You have all been very helpful in helping me find the right University and suggesting me some of the universities that I'm quite interested in.

THANK YOU SO MUCH :smile:
I would like to say thank you to everyone who commented, I will be looking and doing a bit more research into each of the universities that you have suggested, I will also be looking to go to some of the Open days for these universities. You have all been very helpful in helping me find the right University and suggesting me some of the universities that I'm quite interested in.

THANK YOU SO MUCH :smile:

Aww shucks Abdul, that's really nice of you to say.

We like you.

Fingers crossed you're going to stop by our open day. We're gearing up for the next big one on Saturday 13 October.

Best of luck with this adventure - you're going to have a fab time wherever you are with a good attitude.

Dawn :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending