The Student Room Group

Why don’t any girls want to do science?

So, science has always been my favourite subject at school, I have always really enjoyed it and there is no doubt on my mind that I want to go on to do a science related career in the future. But why are there always more males in science than females? Same with maths too. I just don’t understand it, in my a level chemistry and physics I am the only girl.
What are your thoughts on this?
Do you think there is a particular reason why science and maths are male orientated subjects?

Scroll to see replies

But from what I remember females were into science more than men. Currently in college from a variety of my classes I see more females than males. Is that statement based on your own point of view or is it backed up with a fact? I understand where you are coming from but it's like me saying "why don't any girls do business/ict/media" because I mostly see males doing those courses/subjects.
Basically it all depends on the school but for the most part STEM (science, technology, maths, engineering) subjects tend to be more populated with males as STEM tends to pander to men more - think about things like gamers and programmers. There's something of a stereotype surrounding the whole thing shown through things like male nerd culture. The TV show Girl Meets World actually did a whole episode on this (Girl Meets STEM). Science and subjects that require logic and a clear head are assumed to not be "for girls" because of the mental requirements and stereotypes that also surround women of being more "ditzy" or "scatterbrained", not suited for lab environments.
All of these stereotypes basically contribute to this male oriented culture and if girls feel that there might be a bias they are quick to be discouraged. I know my (male) science teacher in high school, for instance, once joked that he didn't know why he bothered as it was an all girls school, and with just that half my class just... stopped trying.
Who cares? It's their choice. Feminists shouldn't complain about the myth of unequal opportunities for each gender.
Reply 4
At my school roughly half of the girls are doing science A-level and many want to do medicine. I think it's becoming slightly more popular for girls maybe because of 'women in STEM' days encouraging us. Did your school do these?
I think, on the whole, there are more men in science careers because their brains tend to steer more towards logical, quick-thinking tasks such as maths, so they enjoy it more. Not that girls don't enjoy logical subjects, but more boys are likely to enjoy them.
Reply 5
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
But from what I remember females were into science more than men. Currently in college from a variety of my classes I see more females than males. Is that statement based on your own point of view or is it backed up with a fact? I understand where you are coming from but it's like me saying "why don't any girls do business/ict/media" because I mostly see males doing those courses/subjects.

I just think it’s weird that I’m the only girl in my chemistry and physics class. Also I believe at my school there are no girls in a level maths either. Science related professions too, at every doctors surgery I have ever known there have been very few female doctors (at my current one there is just one female doctor) it’s based on what I have seen around me really.
Reply 6
Original post by LogicKnight
Who cares? It's their choice. Feminists shouldn't complain about the myth of unequal opportunities for each gender.

But opportunities are unequal, why are women still paid less than men for the same job? Sounds pretty unequal to me.
I went to an all girls school and science and maths were the most popular courses

Moved to Educational Debate
Reply 8
Original post by Daisy02
At my school roughly half of the girls are doing science A-level and many want to do medicine. I think it's becoming slightly more popular for girls maybe because of 'women in STEM' days encouraging us. Did your school do these?
I think, on the whole, there are more men in science careers because their brains tend to steer more towards logical, quick-thinking tasks such as maths, so they enjoy it more. Not that girls don't enjoy logical subjects, but more boys are likely to enjoy them.

I really hope it is becoming more popular. And I think you are right, except I tend to be a logical thinker and have always preferred maths and science over English (I hated English so much) maybe I just have a male mindset...? lol 😂
Reply 9
*sigh* the wage gap is a myth. This is a FACT. Don't speak of that feminist lie. No credible economist believes in your elusive and non existent wage gap.

Articles such as this one exist everywhere:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/24/women-may-earn-more-than-1-million-less-than-men-throughout-a-career.html
Original post by Icykitten
I just think it’s weird that I’m the only girl in my chemistry and physics class. Also I believe at my school there are no girls in a level maths either. Science related professions too, at every doctors surgery I have ever known there have been very few female doctors (at my current one there is just one female doctor) it’s based on what I have seen around me really.

Yh but other people are used to seeing both genders doing science related subjects. From my area, colleges are filled with a majority of science students. I think more females are studying science now whereas more males are studying: the business/enterprise related subjects.
Reply 11
Original post by CoolCavy
I went to an all girls school and science and maths were the most popular courses

Moved to Educational Debate

That’s interesting, at my school they just seem to be all boys and no girls except for me.

Very interesting article but it only covers average earnings, not individual pay. You simply have no evidence of men being paid more than women FOR THE SAME JOB NOT OVERALL AVERAGE EARNINGS.
Reply 13
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
Yh but other people are used to seeing both genders doing science related subjects. From my area, colleges are filled with a majority of science students. I think more females are studying science now whereas more males are studying: the business/enterprise related subjects.

That’s good to know, I guess it’s just my area then..
Original post by Icykitten
That’s interesting, at my school they just seem to be all boys and no girls except for me.

Shouting sexism at every chance you get just makes you look immature. The wage gap is a myth. Overall average earnings are not the same as individual pay.

Personally, I think we need to remove the stereotype that STEM's for boys. As surprising as it is, it's very true for many people. There many people who could really help in the industry but won't study STEM subjects due to previous perceptions. Look a the percentage of people in STEM that are women. It's not always male majority in of course.
Original post by Obolinda
Personally, I think we need to remove the stereotype that STEM's for boys. As surprising as it is, it's very true for many people. There many people who could really help in the industry but won't study STEM subjects due to previous perceptions. Look a the percentage of people in STEM that are women. It's not always male majority in of course.

Sorry but there is no stereotype, at least not anymore. Where is your evidence that this stereotype exists?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Because of the patriarchy.

Ah yes, my favourite myth.
Sorry but there is no stereotype, at least not anymore. Where is your evidence that this stereotype exists?

I'd quote anecdotal evidence but that's not always reliable.

In a survey of more than 8,600 young people and adults, more some 57 per cent of teachers admitted to having made subconscious stereotypes about girls and boys in relation to sciences, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) subjects.

Yh, Id quote more surveys but I have homework...
I found my biochemestry degre to be mostly female. I think women are really strong in sciences, because they tend to have more patience and are more thorough. In any lab I have been, there have been more females too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending