The Student Room Group

I'm getting everything in A-Level Biology wrong...

Year 13.

No matter how much I go over the content we learn, when it comes to exam questions I never get any marks.

The mark schemes always require specific words/phrases which I miss out!

Are there any websites/resources which use mark scheme vocabulary that I could take notes from?

I'm so lost
Original post by Criminalis
Year 13.

No matter how much I go over the content we learn, when it comes to exam questions I never get any marks.

Are there any websites/resources which use mark scheme vocabulary that I could take notes from?

I'm so lost

This is a huge problem with biology especially OCR. Your best bet is to do as many practice papers as possible and study the mark schemes. read examiner reports too.
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
This is a huge problem with biology especially OCR. Your best bet is to do as many practice papers as possible and study the mark schemes. read examiner reports too.

Thanks. We're doing AQA but it is still hard. I have no idea what to do, I didn't do enough revision last year so I've essentially got two years worth of content to cover.
Thanks. We're doing AQA but it is still hard. I have no idea what to do, I didn't do enough revision last year so I've essentially got two years worth of content to cover.

Honestly it's just practising the exam questions. You will get there eventually.
Reply 4
Honestly it's just practising the exam questions. You will get there eventually.

I guess so. I hate exam questions, but I guess I should do some after each topic (no idea where to find them though)
I guess so. I hate exam questions, but I guess I should do some after each topic (no idea where to find them though)

Your textbook should have some plus the AQA website and your teacher.
Reply 6
Your textbook should have some plus the AQA website and your teacher.

Thanks
Year 13.

I'm so lost

Use the syllabus it highlights key concepts or phrases that you need to know. I’d also advise looking at some key definitions just to nail the basics - you don’t need to memorise every definition, but as you say you have twice as much content to learn, definitions are a good place to start. This means you can use the key words in your answers to hopefully pick up marks.

While you’re doing your exam questions try this method: you don’t actually have to answer the question fully, but instead read the question, and try and basically write the mark scheme yourself. E.G make bullet points of the key points you think will get the marks. Then compare it to the actual mark schemes, once you’ve done this over and over again you’ll almost be able to write the mark schemes yourself. It definitely worked for me as I got used to knowing what the examiners wanted me to say.

Hope this helps
Nah it's not hard just revise now and use highlights to highlight key notes like the structure of nephron and DCT/PCT differences and it stays in your memory. Trust me
And for 6 markers just put 3 to 4 points but just explain your points don't just state them. Like if it asks why do humans sweat in heat, explain about it don't just say it's to become cooler , explain homeostasis and ****
Unfortunately, the best way is practising exam questions and essentially learning the mark schemes. I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much, I didn't think I was doing very well in Biology and ended up with an A* at the end of year 13. The main thing is practice and learning set answers.

This is easily the best website for questions:
https://mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/a-level-biology-revision/exam-questions-topic-aqa/

They have questions by topic so you can test yourself after each section without having to find specific questions in a paper. I'd also recommend doing old spec questions because they can still use the same questions from them and it would be a mistake to not practice at least a few of them.

Feel free to ask any more questions and I'll try to help you, but it's mostly practice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending