The Student Room Group

OCR A-Level Biology PAG 10.1

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the extension questions for the practical assessment on investigating DNA structure using RasMol.
The questions are-
1) How many of the chains does the DNA have? How do these chains interact with each other? What is the orientation of these chains?
( I have written two chains form the double helix structure of DNA and are connected via H bonds between the bases but don't know whether to add more depth?)
2) How does this structure relate to its function?

I know we don't have to do the questions but I have to for HW and I already asked my teacher for help but forgot what she said (please don't bash me, I know..) so any help would be appreciated xx
Original post by tigr
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the extension questions for the practical assessment on investigating DNA structure using RasMol.
The questions are-
1) How many of the chains does the DNA have? How do these chains interact with each other? What is the orientation of these chains?
( I have written two chains form the double helix structure of DNA and are connected via H bonds between the bases but don't know whether to add more depth?)
2) How does this structure relate to its function?

I know we don't have to do the questions but I have to for HW and I already asked my teacher for help but forgot what she said (please don't bash me, I know..) so any help would be appreciated xx

Hints (I'm not doing it for you...)

Look at the ends of the two chains that comprise the double helix and see what groups are at the ends of each chain (labelled 5' and 3'). What can you then say about their orientation?

What is the point of DNA? What's it for? And thus, what parts of its structure contribute to that function? Think in particular of ways that the DNA might be able to be copied, and how one strand might be able to be used as a template, both for replication and transcription into RNA.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
Hints (I'm not doing it for you...)

Look at the ends of the two chains that comprise the double helix and see what groups are at the ends of each chain (groups being -NH2 and -COOH). What can you then say about their orientation?

What is the point of DNA? What's it for? And thus, what parts of its structure contribute to that function? Think in particular of ways that the DNA might be able to be copied, and how one strand might be able to be used as a template, both for replication and transcription into RNA.

By looking at the ends of two chains does that mean the 5' to 3' orientation? Does that count as an answer?
Original post by tigr
By looking at the ends of two chains does that mean the 5' to 3' orientation? Does that count as an answer?

Well yes, that's part of it. If one chain is 5➛3 and the other 3➝5, then what does that tell you about them?
Original post by tigr

I'm happy to work with you to help you, but there's no point my just giving you the answer. You can look that up yourself online. It'll benefit you if you think through the problem and reach the answer yourself and, hopefully, I can guide you towards it :smile:
The strands are described as anti parallel to each other

Quick Reply

Latest