The Student Room Group

Does studying while listening to music affect your studies?

Hey guys, Does studying while listening to music affect your studies or makes it harder to study? In a condition where you don't have to memorize anything, just writing some code for schoolwork.
My experience is music can help you actively engage in your studies. But it can depend on the type of music and what you are studying.

What genre do you listen to as you study?
I believe it depends, although there have been research on it.

Personally, it distracts me, whatever the genre.
Depends on what im doing, if im trying to revise and memories stuff then i cant have music. But if im writing essays i usually have music quietly on in the background
Reply 4
Original post by According to Pete
My experience is music can help you actively engage in your studies. But it can depend on the type of music and what you are studying.

What genre do you listen to as you study?

I haven't started listening to music as I'm studying yet but I like to listen to remixes of songs in r&b and hip hop, I am going to be writing code while I listen
I can't listen to anything with words, or anything classical with interesting bits in (I am from a musical background so end up analysing chord patterns etc). I can cope with background piano music, but white noise is the best for me.
Reply 6
If I'm just doing some maths questions that are relatively mindless or learning something not too difficult, listening to music helps to to concentrate for hours, where I usually procrastinate and lose focus. I usually listen to house, tropical house and deep house. Not your classical music but it works.
Definitely! Music with lyrics ruins my productivity, music without lyrics boosts it :smile:
For me it helps! Can't focus without it, and just end up procrastinating.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending