The Student Room Group

GCSE Grades???

I'm really struggling with maths and science rn, I have a maths/science tutor but part of me feels like I'm not getting any better, although she is amazing at teaching. My teachers at school are just terrible honestly i don't even see me being there sometimes. My mental health actually is the worst it has ever been right now, I just feel low and stressed all the time, this is only the beginning of year 11 so I know its gonna get worse. I am dyslexic but honestly work my socks off like my life is get up, school home revision 4.30-9.30 this is literally most nights now. My EOY 10 mock grades where-
maths- 4
english lit/lang-6-6
media-6
music-8
rs- 7
geography-5
science-4-4
german-5

I'd like to get
maths- 6
english lit/lang-7-7
media-7
music-9
rs- 7
geography-6-7
science-6-6
german-5-6

Do you think this is possible?
I think it is definitely possible. I would recommend using Youtube to revise. For science, FreeScienceLessons and PrimroseKitten will help so much. I personally made topic notes on A3 paper based on FreeScienceLessons and then did things like PrimroseKittens' question lists. Honestly it helped so much.
In regards to maths, I there are less well-know Youtube channels but there are still useful videos such as if you don't understand a topic, type it into Youtube and watch until you get the hang of it.
Also with any subject, practice. You can use past paper questions, questions in revision guides or Quizlet but this helps with memory greatly
Please make sure you keep time for you as it's only September and good luck :smile:
i went from a average of 5.8 end of year 10 grades to 7.6 in the GCSEs. So yeah it can be achieved u just have to work consistently. good luck
Hi Maisie, i would say that it is extremely possible to reach these goals , if you put in the right revision/work and pay attention in class. i also struggle with maths i just find it so hard ughhh.:s-smilie:
btw are you doing foundation or higher maths? good luck with school! Halimah xxx :wink::h:
Reply 4
Original post by busybee1614
Hi Maisie, i would say that it is extremely possible to reach these goals , if you put in the right revision/work and pay attention in class. i also struggle with maths i just find it so hard ughhh.:s-smilie:
btw are you doing foundation or higher maths? good luck with school! Halimah xxx :wink::h:

Hi,
I am currently in between the two, they decide in our mock this November! I'm hoping to do higher, however, whether this will be possible I don't know!! Hopefully though!! Wbu?
Hi, I’m in a mixed set where there’s higher and foundations so I’m not too sure, hopefully higher tho! ❤️
Reply 6
Hi!! I just started year 12 and I remember being in your place this time last year!
One thing I wish i knew was that your hard work will pay off - i got demotivated really badly and kept thinking 'what's the point, i'll fail anyway'

n oOoOOooOOooo

I started off with a 5 in maths, in the foundation class (in yr 11) and i ended up getting a 7 - which honestly could have been higher, and at this point i don't really see why you aren't aiming for top grades? I genuinely think you do NOT need to be clever to get good grades at gsce, just hard working. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask!

Btw mathsgenie is brilliant - it has almost every topic, with videos and exam questions. Aim to do as many exam papers (under exam conditions) as you can per week, as soon as possible.
Reply 7
also, don't be disheartened by having crappy teachers - my year had to teach themselves most of the courses (we had new teachers for every subject except 1) - its very possible at gcse. definitley NOT easy, but if you start now (like, right now) it would honestly be a breeze in comparison to starting a few months before.
Original post by tay_lee
Hi!! I just started year 12 and I remember being in your place this time last year!
One thing I wish i knew was that your hard work will pay off - i got demotivated really badly and kept thinking 'what's the point, i'll fail anyway'

n oOoOOooOOooo

I started off with a 5 in maths, in the foundation class (in yr 11) and i ended up getting a 7 - which honestly could have been higher, and at this point i don't really see why you aren't aiming for top grades? I genuinely think you do NOT need to be clever to get good grades at gsce, just hard working. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask!

Btw mathsgenie is brilliant - it has almost every topic, with videos and exam questions. Aim to do as many exam papers (under exam conditions) as you can per week, as soon as possible.
Reply 8
how many hours did u revise each day??
Reply 9
Yes, it's definitely achievable! Just revise consistently and use any online resources you can to help you. Make sure to have some time to chill as well though, you don't want to burn yourself out. Good luck!
Reply 10
did you get a 7 just by using maths genie only? I'm using that too rn so I'm just curious.
Original post by tay_lee

n oOoOOooOOooo

nope, i luckily had a really good maths teacher who i went to after school every week and got tons of help from. literally just bug your maths teacher as much as you want, also, there's always some maths genius in every class - if you're teacher is no good then get help off them. you'll be thankful for it later on. don't move on from a topic until you've done exam qs on it and are getting them all correct. do every past paper you can find. I also found it really helpful to print off this checklist offline with all the maths topics on it closer to exam season (like a month or 2 before) to make sure everything was covered.

in short, mathsgenie is definitely not enough.
Original post by ajsar
did you get a 7 just by using maths genie only? I'm using that too rn so I'm just curious.
Original post by tay_lee

n oOoOOooOOooo

thank you so much for this reply! Has really boosted my confidence, to try to do well!

Congats with your 7 in maths!!
Original post by tay_lee
nope, i luckily had a really good maths teacher who i went to after school every week and got tons of help from. literally just bug your maths teacher as much as you want, also, there's always some maths genius in every class - if you're teacher is no good then get help off them. you'll be thankful for it later on. don't move on from a topic until you've done exam qs on it and are getting them all correct. do every past paper you can find. I also found it really helpful to print off this checklist offline with all the maths topics on it closer to exam season (like a month or 2 before) to make sure everything was covered.

in short, mathsgenie is definitely not enough.

Unfortunately, I honestly think my maths teacher would win an award for being the worst teacher no lie. All we do is make cardboard shapes all lesson, like in primary school, however i do have a maths tutor who has been a great help, but things just don't stick :frown:
english language - learn some fancy words and use a technique to help you answer the questions like PEFI or something else to make sure you get the marks and keep doing practice questions. analyse random texts from books and look at mark schemes to see where you get marks. also, always look at the focus of the question
what really helped me was when the exam started i would first look at the questions and highlight the sections theyre asking for so i knew where i had to look to find my quotes. and use time wisely and always keep an eye on it
english literature - make mindmaps on characters and themes. find quotes and analyse them.
condense them onto flashcards. make essay plans and learn them. look at markschemes. legit tells you how to get into the top band and keep doing practice questions
science - get ahold of the spec and use it as your checklist. get the cgp revision guides - and do excercise and practice questions in the book. make notes and flashcards and keep condensing them
maths - use maths genie and past papers and keep doing practice questions
practice, practice and practice. :smile:
Original post by ajsar
how many hours did u revise each day??

I do an hour before school, in form. Then after school, I do homework that takes a long time and then maybe 1 hour-2 hour. At weekends I usually do around 8 hours in total, this is definitely not enough. The problem is that I get so much homework then it's almost too late to revise!!

Quick Reply

Latest