The Student Room Group

Is esports now more popular than football with teenagers because of Fortnite ?

Poll

Is esports now more popular than football with teenagers because of Fortnite ?

In the UK.play and watch?
Long time, no see... moved to Gaming. :smile:
No, and it's unlikely to ever be. Football is absolutely massive worldwide - 3.4bn people watched some of the world cup this summer. E-sports isn't even small fry in comparison to that, it's practically irrelevant in comparison.
Reply 3
No ****ing chance
Reply 4
Original post by Iupao

No, but you can do a degree in it:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5597848
Reply 5
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
No, and it's unlikely to ever be. Football is absolutely massive worldwide - 3.4bn people watched some of the world cup this summer. E-sports isn't even small fry in comparison to that, it's practically irrelevant in comparison.

It's smaller, for sure. But getting pretty significant.

"By 2020, the global eSports market is expected to generate $1.5 billion in annual revenues, primarily from sponsorships and advertising to an estimated global audience of 600 million fans."

https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/insights/us/articles/4677_eSports/4677_eSports.pdf
Reply 6
Original post by Doonesbury
It's smaller, for sure. But getting pretty significant.

"By 2020, the global eSports market is expected to generate $1.5 billion in annual revenues, primarily from sponsorships and advertising to an estimated global audience of 600 million fans."

https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/insights/us/articles/4677_eSports/4677_eSports.pdf

Yeah, but OP will need to keep asking this question for about 20 years before he gets the answer he wants.

In fairness, however, he's anyway will on his way, given that he's made the same thread about 20 times now.
Reply 7
Original post by Drewski
Yeah, but OP will need to keep asking this question for about 20 years before he gets the answer he wants.

In fairness, however, he's anyway will on his way, given that he's made the same thread about 20 times now.

And maybe one year they'll actually reply in their own thread :moon:
Reply 8
Football is huge, it's roughly been around for 100 years and is worldwide. But I think there is a high chance in 40 years it will probably surpass football.
Original post by Iupao

It depends what we are classing as esports.
What relative values you are using to collect the data.

It wouldnt surprise me if the people who participate in one or the other on a regular basis then computer gaming came out on top.

You need to decide what the relative popularity metric is though.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Iupao

Extended Reality (VR, AR, and the other one) will take it to the next level - that goes for all games and nearly every other industry. I hope we aren't able to make a simulation that's like this Earth. That will make me think that this really could be a simulation - I don't want to believe that my life is orchestrated - I do, however, feel a sense of free will. I hope there's a threshold at which improvement cannot occur (after hearing Elon's theory), a point at which there's a universal law which stops such simulations from being able to be created.
Fortnite br is an esport? Since when?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest