The Student Room Group

Cambridge university

I am planning to apply to Christ College to do engineering, but in the entry requirements, they mention they want further maths A* or at least an A in AS level. I don't do further maths and AS doesn't really exist anymore... so I don't know what to do. Is it worth talking to my head of maths to try and learn the entire further maths syllabus in 1 year? I'm already taking maths, physics, and chemistry so I don't know if I am physically and mentally handle the load.
either do further maths AS/a level, apply to a college without that specific entry requirement, or apply to natural sciences and then try to switch to engineering if you get in
Original post by Guarddyyy
I am planning to apply to Christ College to do engineering, but in the entry requirements, they mention they want further maths A* or at least an A in AS level. I don't do further maths and AS doesn't really exist anymore... so I don't know what to do. Is it worth talking to my head of maths to try and learn the entire further maths syllabus in 1 year? I'm already taking maths, physics, and chemistry so I don't know if I am physically and mentally handle the load.

I would choose a different college ... AS level certainly does exist,
It's entirely feasible to do A-level further maths in a year. Honestly, you don't really need teachers for further maths. Just purchase the books and practice past papers. Trust me when I say the difficulty level is just the same as single maths, but just more workload. If I were you I'd self-study the entire further maths course.
Reply 4
Original post by boojai
It's entirely feasible to do A-level further maths in a year. Honestly, you don't really need teachers for further maths. Just purchase the books and practice past papers. Trust me when I say the difficulty level is just the same as single maths, but just more workload. If I were you I'd self-study the entire further maths course.

I guess I could give it a go. I have a friend to nearly gets full marks in his further maths and normal maths papers and he said he can help me out.
Apply to a different college- the college isn't a big deal at the end of the day
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
I would choose a different college ... AS level certainly does exist,

Original post by AzureCeleste
Apply to a different college- the college isn't a big deal at the end of the day

The only problem with me applying to a different college is that Cambridge strongly advises further maths for engineering because the first year is based a lot of further maths. Applying to a different college wouldn't make the first year easier for me whichever college I apply to.

I was also told by one of the professors that the STEP paper I will take is harder than further maths.
Original post by boojai

Exactly this
The only problem with me applying to a different college is that Cambridge strongly advises further maths for engineering because the first year is based a lot of further maths. Applying to a different college wouldn't make the first year easier for me whichever college I apply to.

I was also told by one of the professors that the STEP paper I will take is harder than further maths.

Some colleges don't require it though do they?
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
Some colleges don't require it though do they?

Sorry, I made this conversation a lot more confusing. Christ strongly advises it but it's not crucial in the entry requirements. Most colleges don't require it though.
(edited 5 years ago)
Sorry, I made this conversation a lot more confusing. Christ strongly advises it but it's not crucial in the entry requirements. Most colleges don't require it though.

As I said I'd pick another college ... those studying it will be at an advantage.
Reply 11

About a third of Cambridge engineers don't have A-level FM. You will cover the necessary FM topics during the course anyway. STEP isn't "harder" than FM per se, it's just a different way of asking (and answering) maths questions that does require some practice*. STEP I doesn't have any FM content.

Peterhouse and Christ's use STEP as part of their engineering admissions with the result that equally strong applicants are more likely to get an offer. Other colleges don't, use STEP and as Muttley said, other colleges may not have an FM requirement.

If you have no plans to take FM AS-level (which you can self-teach if necessary) then a Christ's application is a poor idea.

On the other hand the workload at Cambridge is significant, and self-teaching FM may give you a flavour of what to expect.

*There's a STEP prep thread here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5537494
Reply 12
Original post by Doonesbury
About a third of Cambridge engineers don't have A-level FM. You will cover the necessary FM topics during the course anyway. STEP isn't "harder" than FM per se, it's just a different way of asking (and answering) maths questions that does require some practice*. STEP I doesn't have any FM content.

Peterhouse and Christ's use STEP as part of their engineering admissions with the result that equally strong applicants are more likely to get an offer. Other colleges don't, use STEP and as Muttley said, other colleges may not have an FM requirement.

If you have no plans to take FM AS-level (which you can self-teach if necessary) then a Christ's application is a poor idea.

On the other hand the workload at Cambridge is significant, and self-teaching FM may give you a flavour of what to expect.

*There's a STEP prep thread here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5537494

I've just spoken to my head of maths department and he's enrolled me into AS further maths. My only question is... didn't the government remove AS? All my other A-levels are exams after 2 years.

I will definitely check that STEP prep thread, thank you :smile:
Reply 13
I've just spoken to my head of maths department and he's enrolled me into AS further maths. My only question is... didn't the government remove AS? All my other A-levels are exams after 2 years.

I will definitely check that STEP prep thread, thank you :smile:

That's good! And nope, ASs are still very much a thing, they just don't contribute towards the final A-level, hence why many schools don't offer them.
Reply 14
Original post by Doonesbury
That's good! And nope, ASs are still very much a thing, they just don't contribute towards the final A-level, hence why many schools don't offer them.

Ah ok, thank you for clarifying :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest