The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by TurboZX453
The question says it all! I want to study Economics there. I study Maths, FM, and Economics. Predicted A*A*A*

Have you visited them?

You would get offers from both. They have near 90% offer rates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
Have you visited them?

You would get offers from both.

Posted from TSR Mobile

@Doonesbury

Unfortunately, I have not visited them. I have a lot of work from my school. So I don't think I have time to visit. Thank you so much you have helped me loads.
Reply 3
@Doonesbury

Unfortunately, I have not visited them. I have a lot of work from my school. So I don't think I have time to visit. Thank you so much you have helped me loads.

You have until January to apply. There's plenty of time. It's important to visit your potential choices if you possibly can.

Bristol and Bath are quite different universities. For example, one is a campus university, and the other is city-based.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
You have until January to apply. There's plenty of time. It's important to visit your potential choices if you possibly can.

Bristol and Bath are quite different universities. For example, one is a campus university, and the other is city-based.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately no! I am applying to Cambridge too, and my 6th form has an internal deadline.

:frown:
Reply 5
Unfortunately no! I am applying to Cambridge too, and my 6th form has an internal deadline.

:frown:

No, that deadline is only for Cambridge. You can send of your application with just Cambridge on it and then add your 4 other choices whenever you like. Indeed it can be a good idea to keep a couple of your choices until *after* you receive your Cambridge decision in early January.

The only thing is you can't change any other part of your application. Your personal statement and reference remains the same throughout.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
No, that deadline is only for Cambridge. You can send of your application with just Cambridge on it and then add your 4 other choices whenever you like. Indeed it can be a good idea to keep a couple of your choices until *after* you receive your Cambridge decision in early January.

The only thing is you can't change any other part of your application. Your personal statement and reference remains the same throughout.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, I see. I will see what the school says. However, this is valuable information which the school has not told us. :/

Many thanks to you.
I was recently deciding between both these universities to apply for Maths.
I chose Bristol in the end as I figured it's generally more reputed than Bath and is certainly a better option for my future Investment Banking plans because Bristol is a greater Investment Banking target university than Bath.
But general career prospects are similar for both unis, and i'm sure you know that at the end of the day, employers look at the entire application and don't just look at what university you went to. Doonesbury gave some solid advice and so it's best to follow that. :smile:
Reply 8
Ah, I see. I will see what the school says. However, this is valuable information which the school has not told us. :/

Many thanks to you.

Many schools either aren't aware, or choose not to tell their students about the options actually available. :wink:

Even if you school disagrees it's entirely your application. You can just send the application in with only Cambridge on it to start with if you want to.
Reply 9
Original post by Grade A
I was recently deciding between both these universities to apply for Maths.
I chose Bristol in the end as I figured it's generally more reputed than Bath and is certainly a better option for my future Investment Banking plans because Bristol is a greater Investment Banking target university than Bath.
But general career prospects are similar for both unis, and i'm sure you know that at the end of the day, employers look at the entire application and don't just look at what university you went to. Doonesbury gave some solid advice and so it's best to follow that. :smile:

Many people apply to both... :wink:
baths not a russel group uni btw
Many people apply to both... :wink:

I only had 1 university space left to apply this year, hence why I was led to this decision :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by CraigBackner

In what way is that relevant?
I'd really visit them if you ever get the chance, they're quite close so you can always visit them in a day! If not, I'd suggest to watch a few youtube vids /vlogs about the uni.

I've visited both, and thinking of applying for both, so here's some info:

Bath:
-the prettiest city in England (many people think that)
-quite a posh town
-the uni is on a hill (if you take a bus from the city to the uni it won't matter)
-they have great food (a good point)
-it's a campus uni, everything is in one place, it's away from the city
-the uni can have areas where it looks dull
-quite a lot of green space
-a huGE sports area
-it's quite a respected uni
-not as many clubs/societies

Bristol:
-very artsy
-A LOT of cafes/shops, a huge variety
-a city uni
-but uni is close to the city
-the buildings are quite pretty
-quite big
-lively
-v v aesthetic... like even their cafe looks like something you'd find from a tumblr post
-probably has a lot of clubs/societies
-also respected uni!

*these points are my opinion to be fair, you can tell I liked Bath more but a friend of mine loved Bristol (1st choice) and disliked Bath, it really depends on what you like / how your course looks like,,, hope this helped*
Original post by Aleks<3
I'd really visit them if you ever get the chance, they're quite close so you can always visit them in a day! If not, I'd suggest to watch a few youtube vids /vlogs about the uni.

I've visited both, and thinking of applying for both, so here's some info:

Bath:
-the prettiest city in England (many people think that)
-quite a posh town
-the uni is on a hill (if you take a bus from the city to the uni it won't matter)
-they have great food (a good point)
-it's a campus uni, everything is in one place, it's away from the city
-the uni can have areas where it looks dull
-quite a lot of green space
-a huGE sports area
-it's quite a respected uni
-not as many clubs/societies

Bristol:
-very artsy
-A LOT of cafes/shops, a huge variety
-a city uni
-but uni is close to the city
-the buildings are quite pretty
-quite big
-lively
-v v aesthetic... like even their cafe looks like something you'd find from a tumblr post
-probably has a lot of clubs/societies
-also respected uni!

*these points are my opinion to be fair, you can tell I liked Bath more but a friend of mine loved Bristol (1st choice) and disliked Bath, it really depends on what you like / how your course looks like,,, hope this helped*

i would have absolutely loved Bath uni if it was nearer the City. the daily bus ride up an extremely steep heel made it a nono for me
Reply 15
It's worth noting that Bath is extremely touristy and therefore busy, because of the above mentioned beauty, but it's also close to Bristol if you want to visit a "big" city. Transport links between the two are good.
Original post by CollectiveSoul
i would have absolutely loved Bath uni if it was nearer the City. the daily bus ride up an extremely steep heel made it a nono for me

I know right! Walking up/down there in the heat would be terrible too lmao. Luckily if you live in the campus you won't need to visit the city as often lmao
Original post by CraigBackner

:cry:
my life is over

OP, just finished a degree from Bath in CS, happy to answer any questions.
Original post by ···
my life is over

I'm not the op but I'm planning on applying for uni at Bath, is it okay if I ask a few questions?

-Were your predicted grades the same/higher than the requirements?
-Is there loads of societies/clubs?
-Did you enjoy bath uni? :biggrin:

Don't really have anything else to ask, thank you though
Original post by ···
my life is over

if you're alright at maths but not amazing it's not advisable to do a maths degree (too risky as it will be harder than A levels), but if you're just alright at maths is it a big risk to do a computer science degree...or is it mainly just programming?

Latest

Trending

Trending