The Student Room Group

Going into Year 13, which subject should I drop?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jungleseu1
I can only really talk about geography. Superpowers topic is probably one of the most interesting topics in geography edexcel. The physical stuff starts to get better. Generally for physical there is only 1 EQ on theory. The rest is human related. There's a lot of learning but the content isn't hard to understand.

Then again I had 2 very good teachers so it's hard for me to judge how hard it would be.

Sorry but what does EQ mean? Thanks. How was the synoptic paper and year 2 as a whole with the content and the controlled assessment?
Original post by Grade A
I would drop accounting if I was in that position.

Thanks but why did you think that? Was it to do with the university course that I'd do or the other subjects?
Original post by EB12456780
Thanks but why did you think that? Was it to do with the university course that I'd do or the other subjects?

I'm pretty sure that unis don't like A-Level subjects like accounting, and I know for a fact that geography will give you the option to go into a lot more careers than accounting would. It's just the safe choice.
Sorry but what does EQ mean? Thanks. How was the synoptic paper and year 2 as a whole with the content and the controlled assessment?

EQ is a section of a topic ( look at your specification. Each topic will be divided into EQ1,EQ2,EQ3 and sometimes an EQ4). So for example globalization is made up of 3 EQs. Synoptic paper was one of the hardest exams as you don't know what comes up. It's best to learn how to answer the questions and see what the examiner needs (I edited my last comment so have a look). Overall I really enjoyed geography. There was a lot to learn. The topics of superpowers,Water,Carbon and Human rights and intervention were really interesting.

The controlled assessment- follow the mark scheme (it got me an A* in the coursework). That's the advice I can give you. Remember 1 statistical test is all you need. Oh yeah and don't be afraid to go over the word count (mine was 10,000 words) just make sure it flows. There are a few examples online on how to lay it out.

Overall I got an A in geography feel free to ask any questions.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Grade A
I'm pretty sure that unis don't like A-Level subjects like accounting, and I know for a fact that geography will give you the option to go into a lot more careers than accounting would. It's just the safe choice.

Thanks! :smile:
I can only really talk about geography. Superpowers topic is probably one of the most interesting topics in geography edexcel. The physical stuff starts to get better. Generally for physical there is only 1 EQ on theory. The rest is human related. There's a lot of learning but the content isn't hard to understand.

There are more resources online due to first years exams finishing. Learn how to answer types of questions and study the mark scheme. See where you get the marks. Also there are a limited number of paper 3s (only 3 when I did the exam)so try to start looking at them at Christmas. I advise doing one at around Christmas time and saving the rest until Easter. With paper 3s look at how to answer questions, analyse where you get the marks (A01,A02,A03) and then come up with a structure to answer them. Then look over how you answer the questions a few days before the exam.

If it helps I have a list of questions that my teachers made to help us due to lack of resources with geography.

Then again I had 2 very good teachers so it's hard for me to judge how hard it would be.

Thanks for your help, my teacher can hardly use a computer and so has no idea about finding any resources for us. That list of questions would be amazing if you didn't mind giving them to me? :smile: Thanks again!
EQ is a section of a topic ( look at your specification. Each topic will be divided into EQ1,EQ2,EQ3 and sometimes an EQ4). So for example globalization is made up of 3 EQs. Synoptic paper was one of the hardest exams as you don't know what comes up. It's best to learn how to answer the questions and see what the examiner needs (I edited my last comment so have a look). Overall I really enjoyed geography. There was a lot to learn. The topics of superpowers,Water,Carbon and Human rights and intervention were really interesting.

The controlled assessment- follow the mark scheme (it got me an A* in the coursework). That's the advice I can give you. Remember 1 statistical test is all you need. Oh yeah and don't be afraid to go over the word count (mine was 10,000 words) just make sure it flows. There are a few examples online on how to lay it out.

Overall I got an A in geography feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks, what topic did you do your controlled assessment in? I've been wondering whether to do physical or human and wondered if you had any advice about choosing a question that has the potential to give me a high grade but not so over complicated that I get in a mess?

Also, well done on your grade A and A* in coursework, that's amazing!
Thanks, what topic did you do your controlled assessment in? I've been wondering whether to do physical or human and wondered if you had any advice about choosing a question that has the potential to give me a high grade but not so over complicated that I get in a mess?

Also, well done on your grade A and A* in coursework, that's amazing!

I did human. We had to do something human related. I did how successful has regeneration been in El Raval.
Thanks for your help, my teacher can hardly use a computer and so has no idea about finding any resources for us. That list of questions would be amazing if you didn't mind giving them to me? :smile: Thanks again!

I will try and find the list of questions
I did human. We had to do something human related. I did how successful has regeneration been in El Raval.

Why was that, was it the teacher's decision then to do human?

Thank you very much!
Why was that, was it the teacher's decision then to do human?

Yes we either went to Barcelona (where El Raval is) or did one in Clapham Junction. We had to come up with the question we would be investigating.

Did you find the questions, sorry but we have mocks coming up so I wondering if you had them yet? Thanks again! :smile:
Did you find the questions, sorry but we have mocks coming up so I wondering if you had them yet? Thanks again! :smile:

Oh right. Sorry I'm at uni now. My questions are at home. I'm returning 29th of October so will send them to you then. Completely forgot about this thread. I quickly google searched some questions and found these. They seem to be edexcel and I think they are from the board I did (and therefore the board you are doing). Hope this helps. They are attached as a file. They are from this link. https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/edexcel-a2-geography-2018-exam-questions-11820277#
Oh right. Sorry I'm at uni now. My questions are at home. I'm returning 29th of October so will send them to you then. Completely forgot about this thread. I quickly google searched some questions and found these. They seem to be edexcel and I think they are from the board I did (and therefore the board you are doing). Hope this helps. They are attached as a file. They are from this link. https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/edexcel-a2-geography-2018-exam-questions-11820277#

Thank you!

Quick Reply