The Student Room Group

rm.25's Year 13 GYG

Spoiler alert:

Spoiler

RM.25'S YEAR 13 ATTEMPT/JOURNEY

HEY!!

Welcome if you are new and thank you so much for coming back if you have read my blog before! I'm rm.25 and back again in the weird and wonderful world after failing to keep my 2017-2018 GYG blog going... hopefully it will actually work this time :u:
So now I am in my last year of Sixth Form, I thought I would need this blog more than ever for motivation. I am taking Maths, Chemistry and Biology which are getting more difficult through the year :s-smilie:
I am hoping to get minimum AAA but A*AA would be an absolute dreammmmm. Also currently completing my UCAS application and hoping to study Dentistry :h: UKCAT is done and I am not taking BMAT

GCSE GRADES

Spoiler

UCAS stuff

Spoiler

UKCAT

Spoiler

PREDICTED GRADES

Spoiler

There are times when I am the procrastination qween but I am determined to become a lot more productive this year after not achieving the grades I wanted at the end of year 12. I admit I didn't spend as much time doing work as I should have... I learnt the hard way that I can't do that anymore! I have been trying to work over the summer to make sure I am ready for Y13. I started school a few days ago and I've already started to feel the jump between Y12 and Y13 :s-smilie:
I am hoping to update at least twice a week this year but that might be a bit difficult as everyone knows Y13 is a rollercoaster D:

rm.25 :h:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good luck with dentistry!! :rave:
Reply 2
Original post by nyxnko_
Good luck with dentistry!! :rave:

Thank you!! Good luck with NatSci :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by rm.25
Thank you!! Good luck with NatSci :biggrin:

Thank you!! :hugs:
good luck with this year! and don't worry if you can't post twice a week, once a week's ok and it's your blog so you decide how it goes:h:
Reply 5
Original post by entertainmyfaith
good luck with this year! and don't worry if you can't post twice a week, once a week's ok and it's your blog so you decide how it goes:h:

Thank you!! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Chemistry Revision
Update 14/09/18

HEY

I have a test next Tuesday in chem which will be used to determine if my predicted grade will be moved up or not :/ so this weekend is literally all chemistry revision and past papers :frown:
I have been told that my other subject teachers will also be looking at the grade I get in this test to see if my predicted grade in my other subjects should move up or not (???) I think it is to see if I've actually put any effort into my subjects over the summer... confused ngl

To do:

Entropy reminder

Periodicity

Group 2

More Mole Calculations

Skim through Alcohols

Mass Spec questions

Infrared radiation questions

Few more Kp questions

3 past papers

Reply 7
Best of luck with that chem test!! :rave:
Reply 8
Original post by nyxnko_
Best of luck with that chem test!! :rave:

Thank you!!! :bigsmile:
Reply 9
Chem Test Blues
Update 19/09/18

HEY

Okkk so that chem test was even worse than my Y12 chem exam :/ Ngl I left out several questions, partly because the test was really time-pressured and partly because I just didn't know the answer. Note to self, learn how to draw the practical equipment needed to make an aldehyde :colonhash: It was split into two sections: organic chemistry and physical/inorganic chemistry with 1 hour to complete it all. I thought I would find the organic part slightly easier but it actually turned out to be just as hard as the physical chemistry (which I think is my weaker subsection). All I can do now is wait for the results and go from there... :s-smilie: and if my predicted grades don't move, taking a gap year is looking like the most likely option at the moment...

In other news, I now have two more tests to look forward too :boring: yay!!! Mechanics test for maths and Inheritance/Respiration test for bio. We just finished respiration in biology today and I have a massive pack of exam questions to do for homework which is hopefully going to help my revision. These tests are in 2/3 weeks but I think it is just better to get started now than panic about it a few days before. ALSO, I have finished my personal statement yasss but I am yet to upload it onto UCAS which I should probably do right now :biggrin:

Reply 10
Update 26/09/18

HEY

Cannot wait until this week is OVER!! Update on the Chemistry test: 57%, exactly the same as I got in my end of year 12 exam :s-smilie: BUT apparently the whole year did quite badly soooo let's hope my score was around the average! Looking back on the test, there were definitely some question I could have achieved full marks in and there were some stupid mistakes like forgetting to use units, not drawing the line of the graph through the origin :angry: etc. Also managed to get some simple orbital questions wrong. AHHH I feel so frustrated but oh well I can't do anything about it now except learn from it... My organic section was worse than the inorganic/physical section and that was a general trend for everyone according to the teachers.

In Maths, it turns out that our test is NOT in about 2/3 weeks but instead its on the 2nd October :colonhash: Testing Chapter 8, 9 and half of 10 on year 1 (AS) mechanics and chapter 1, 2 and some of 3 for year 2 (A2) pure maths. Greattttt, I'm also away on the weekend so my revision time has been cut short already... but I should be taking my stuff with me to revise when I have a lil free time.

For biology, we have finished respiration and will be tested on it in two weeks along with cellular control/inheritance. Ngl I don't really understand what is going on in inheritance. That test will be sometime in the week beginning 8th October.

I have an interview on Friday after school :redface: It is a meeting with the headteacher to go through my personal statement and basically grill me on anything and everything I have mentioned to make sure I'm ready to send my UCAS form off and also preparation if I actually get any uni interviews (touchwood). I feel like I should do some prep for it but with the maths test so soon and all the homework I have to do, I don't know if I'll have time. After asking around, most of my friends just went in to see what happens and just quickly read over their statements beforehand. No update on predicted grades yet, no news is good news??

To do:

Mechanics revision

modelling
constant acceleration
forces and motion

pure 2 revision

algebraic methods
functions and graphs
arithmetic sequences and series

nucleic acids revision

notes for kidney/liver

PAG write up

notes for carboxylic acids

Good Luck Again!
Reply 12
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Good Luck Again!

Thank you! You too!
Best of luck with your to-do list!
Reply 14
Thank you! I'm going to need it!!

Original post by nyxnko_
Best of luck with your to-do list!
Original post by rm.25
Thank you! You too!

Thanks so much mind checking my GYG out https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5594382
Reply 16
Update 06/10/18

HEY

WOW it's October already, time flies when all you can think about is UCAS :biggrin:
Righhttt soooo maths testttt this week yeaaaaa abouttt thattttt I think it was overall 68% which is not too bad considering I had only a little time to revise BUT whether or not it's enough to move up my predicted grade :frown:... we will find out Monday!!! I did have a bit of a breakdown but after speaking to one of my teachers I realised it's just best to accept it and move on. Looking back over the test I did make some v stupid mistakes which I will fix right away!! I also found out that I cannot and have no idea how to prove anything by contradiction after losing another 4 marks in the pure maths section. Grade boundaries have not been finalised apparently but I have emailed my teacher just in case...

Biology test on monday is about inheritance (40%) and respiration (60%). Ngl so glad inheritance counts for less of the paper. How do you guys revise for bio?? I find it so difficult sometimes because there is just SOOOO much to remember :colonhash:

After the maths test I thought I deserved some retail therapy and went on a trip to the PAPERCHASE SALE :banana: I didn't buy that much in the end though, just a new folder and a daily desk planner :u:

That interview I had the other week was actually not too bad! She asked me all the normal questions and then there were things like should cosmetic dentistry be on the NHS? What has been your biggest challenge and how did you overcome it? And that was it, not so scary as I thought it would be.
In other news, my predicted grade for chemistry has been moved up to an A. Thank God!! And there's a chem test on the last day of half-term :angry:

To do:

Inheritance revision

Respiration revision

All that chem homework :frown:

Hey there rm.25!

Nice to meet you,
I did the exact same A-levels as you are taking and I got a lot of U and D grades in the beginning. I ended up with AAB in the end which I'm super happy with. :smile: At the start, you will get some bad marks but mistakes are really important to find your weaker areas. Your blogs are very focused and you have a clear goal which is great. I wish you all the luck in the world on your journey (NOT attempt as you will surprise yourself!) and on dentistry. If you have any biology of maths questions I'd be happy to help but Chemistry was my B grade (sigh) and I've forgotten it all in the last year. Do your absolute best and try to be happy and enjoy learning!

All the best,

Beth
PS. My blog (if you're interested) :wink:
Good luck!
Reply 19
Original post by emilynxlan
Good luck!

Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending