The Student Room Group

Giving your dog a vegan diet, a good idea?

Here we find ourselves in a strange situation where self-righteous, annoying vegans have become a bigger threat to animals than meat-eaters.
Original post by Dandaman1
Here we find ourselves in a strange situation where self-righteous, annoying vegans have become a bigger threat to animals than meat-eaters.

Something tells me that moronic vegans aren't nearly as much as a threat to animals as meat-eaters, despite their stupidity.
Anyone with a slight bit of knowledge on animal nutrition will know that this is a pointless idea and can never happen. I have to say that I agree that Vegans are becoming more of a threat to animals than meat-eaters, especially if you look at the bigger picture. This is sugessting that because humans may be able to thrive on a vegan diet means that dogs, which descended from carnivores, could too. If their preferences start affecting animal welfare then surely this statement would be proved true.
Reply 4
Why would you get a pet that needs to eat meat if you're not prepared to feed it the correct diet? There are plenty of naturally vegan animals which make great pets, and also plenty of vegetarians and vegans don't eat meat themselves but are happy to give meat-based foods to their dogs.
Original post by Dandaman1

A handful of vegans malnourishing their pets vs billions of animals being kept as slaves, fed until they are ready to slaughter, milked inhumanely, or used as expendable objects in experiments.

Yeah, vegans aren't the threat here.
Reply 6

Ugh so dumb. I would never do that do my dog. And I'm vegetarian too. But dogs NEED meat! If you can't accept that, don't get a dog...

"He calmed down" - because he has zero energy now, what a dumb *****.
(edited 5 years ago)
What evidence is there to say dogs need meat? - All I hear is blank statements about how stupid vegans are but where is the scientific evidence/studies to prove dogs need meat in their diet - what evidence is there to say it is natural - is there any physiological evidence?

I am generally curious, could someone provide any evidence?

Im open to both sides!
Thanks - Interesting point of discussion. :smile:
Original post by MFox300100
What evidence is there to say dogs need meat? - All I hear is blank statements about how stupid vegans are but where is the scientific evidence/studies to prove dogs need meat in their diet - what evidence is there to say it is natural - is there any physiological evidence?

I am generally curious, could someone provide any evidence?

Im open to both sides!
Thanks - Interesting point of discussion. :smile:

It can survive on a Vegerterian diet, but needs meat to thrive. That’s how dogs have evolved.
Original post by MFox300100
What evidence is there to say dogs need meat? . :smile:

Have a look inside a dog's mouth. You'll find some big, pointed teeth for piercing into meat and ripping it off, and some chisel shaped carnassial teeth for shearing meat from bones. Finally, you'll find some small incisors for nibbling meat from bones.

I can't think of any better proof you might need.
Cats certainly need meat, and if an owner tries to make them vegetarian then well... the cat will take getting meat into its own hands, (or paws)
Vegetarian versus Meat-Based Diets for Companion Animals

'both cats and dogs may thrive on vegetarian diets, but these must be nutritionally complete and reasonably balanced'

' growing body of evidence appears to indicate that dogs and cats can survive and thrive on nutritionally sound vegetarian or vegan diets'
(edited 5 years ago)
Yes - more research is needed but it seems to all point to the fact that dogs can thrive on vegan/vegetarian diets so meat isn't a necessity? Is there any studies to which prove this idea that teeth morphology is evidence that dogs need to consume meat - I need academic literature.
(edited 5 years ago)
Is it possible, sure. Is it a good idea that we let people who cannot.manage either their own diets or that of their pets already attempt to manage a difficult and complex diet that needs to be closely monitored, probably not.
Reply 15
I'd feed my mutts cake, but they are too fussy.
Original post by mojojojo101

(Original post by mojojojo101)Is it possible, sure. Is it a good idea that we let people who cannot.manage either their own diets or that of their pets already attempt to manage a difficult and complex diet that needs to be closely monitored, probably not.

Agree with this in general terms that the majority of people are unable to understand the complexity of nutrition and diet - however it underpins the ethical question to which is it okay to kill animals for food and the other underlying problems that this also causes? If so why? - I doubt the majority of people do not have the ability to understand such thoughts but therefore isn't it a moral obligation for us to tell them so? - this is in the case to which vegetarian/vegan diets are indeed beneficial for which it seems so.

Interesting discussion. 😁
Original post by Beth_H
Why would you get a pet that needs to eat meat if you're not prepared to feed it the correct diet? There are plenty of naturally vegan animals which make great pets, and also plenty of vegetarians and vegans don't eat meat themselves but are happy to give meat-based foods to their dogs.

This.
I'm vegetarian myself & moving towards a more vegan diet but feeding a dog on a diet without meat sounds like a really bad idea & there's no way I'd do this. Even if it's technically possible with the right supplements it's so unnatural for a dog that I don't understand why anyone would want to. If someone objects to meat so strongly that they won't feed it to their pet then why get an animal that's a natural carnivore? Surely a rabbit or a guinea pig etc would be more suitable.
Reply 18
If we wanted to eat every animal on the planet they wouldn’t be endangered, so eating meat saves species.

Just one way to look at it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending