The Student Room Group

Really high first salary at entry level

Dear All,

I have recently been invited to an interview for a Project Manager position in London, with an annual salary of 100.000-140.000 GBP.

As I stated in my resume, I have just completed my MSc degree in engineering and even for London standards, this is a really high salary.

Is there any chance they have made a mistake in their emails directory? They have already contacted an agent to book my tickets and accommodation for the interview. Any opinions overall?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

There's no way that's a genuine offer.

Does it say 'OTE'?
Reply 2
What is 'OTE'?
Original post by EvanKastis
What is 'OTE'?

Don't you have google?

Opportunity to earn / on-target earnings. Basically, maximum commission rather than salary.
Reply 4
5.1. Basic Salary: Between £105,000.00 GBP– £140,000.00 GBP per annum (this is will be disclosed after interview).
This is exactly what it says in the letter of invitation.
Is the company you are interviewing with listed on the stock exchange or well known ?

if not sounds like a scam and MLM job or something
5.1. Basic Salary: Between £105,000.00 GBP– £140,000.00 GBP per annum (this is will be disclosed after interview).
This is exactly what it says in the letter of invitation.

What's the company? They've either made a mistake or it's a scam. Without being disrespectful, there is absolutely no chance that you are in line for a 6-figure PM job as an entry level MSc graduate.
(edited 5 years ago)
Who is the company? Because I have only seen on graduate getting anywhere near similar at that was at GS, and Investment Banks usually pay highest salaries. That seriously seems like a scam buddy, check the fine print.
Reply 8
Exactly my thoughts... I am not sure I can publicly say which company is, but I would gladly share it in a private message along with any correspondence I have with them. Anyone who is in the mood to help me, please message me.
Reply 9
So £100 to £150? Find another place, that isn’t great.

Maybe they made a mistake with the decimal point and it is far less than you are expecting, 10k isn’t realistic.
Exactly my thoughts... I am not sure I can publicly say which company is, but I would gladly share it in a private message along with any correspondence I have with them. Anyone who is in the mood to help me, please message me.

What sector is the company?
Original post by chosenone93
What sector is the company?

oil and gas extraction
Reply 12
Marine engineering services.

Hmm well assuming there hasn't mistakenly been extra zeros added the employer may have misinterpreted your cv and thought your previous job were more senior than they are. If its a recruiter your going through this wouldn't surprise me since a lot have no genuine knowledge of the technicalities of the roles they are trying to fill and want to push candidates through the interview door as quick as possible without screening properly.
Original post by Duncan2012
What's the company? They've either made a mistake or it's a scam. Without being disrespectful, there is absolutely no chance that you are in line for a 6-figure PM job as an entry level MSc graduate.

Anything is possible you'll be surprised :biggrin:

not surprised.

if you've got the interview, run with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Renaissance-Man
Anything is possible you'll be surprised :biggrin:

Nope, OP messaged me the company name. A simple google check shows it's a scam - asking people to pay travel and accommodation to be 'refunded' after the interview.

As I said, there's absolutely no chance an inexperienced graduate will land a 6-figure project manager job. In any industry. Rather surprised that anyone could think this was genuine. Hopefully OP hasn't wasted too much time or effort on this.
yeah, it's always funny to see people in disbelief about the long-tail of grad job compensation available.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, this is a scam.

This thread is about a fake project manager position.
I suggest you re-read the bit where I said OP and I had messaged each other and he told me the company name. He doesn't want to name the company here, so I haven't either. The position is a scam. Please stop suggesting otherwise.

Quick Reply