The Student Room Group

Confused about how dangerous is 40mph or 50mph on dual carriage roads

The 45 limit has always baffled me really. It's definitely dangerous to have a significant speed difference in traffic, if the right lane is going at 80-90 (which a lot of people do on dual carriageways) then going at half that speed is not a good idea.

You will get a major fault in your test if you're not driving at the speed limit when conditions allow you to, so you definitely need to rethink this habit if you want to pass, regardless of the weird laws you'll be subject to afterward. :smile:

If you're taking a sharp corner you will need to slow down (your stopping distance must never exceed your viewing distance). If you're stuck behind another car or lorry then obviously you'll need to slow down as well (FYI, overtaking is never required on the driving test). Apart from that, assuming visibility is good you should aim to be driving at or near the speed limit at all times.
Original post by Dez
The 45 limit has always baffled me really. It's definitely dangerous to have a significant speed difference in traffic, if the right lane is going at 80-90 (which a lot of people do on dual carriageways) then going at half that speed is not a good idea.

You will get a major fault in your test if you're not driving at the speed limit when conditions allow you to, so you definitely need to rethink this habit if you want to pass, regardless of the weird laws you'll be subject to afterward. :smile:

If you're taking a sharp corner you will need to slow down (your stopping distance must never exceed your viewing distance). If you're stuck behind another car or lorry then obviously you'll need to slow down as well (FYI, overtaking is never required on the driving test). Apart from that, assuming visibility is good you should aim to be driving at or near the speed limit at all times.

Totally agree with this. It's the people, always pensioners, who have a set speed of 45mph who are the most dangerous. 45 in a 30, 45 in a 60, 45 on a motorway, 45 past a primary school.

If you're stuck behind another car or lorry then obviously you'll need to slow down as well

Not if you're on a motorbike and can filter through them :smile:
Original post by Dez
Apart from that, assuming visibility is good you should aim to be driving at or near the speed limit at all times.

You're suggesting here that the speed limit is a target one should aim for. That's not how I understand the speed limit...
Original post by claudiu1234
You're suggesting here that the speed limit is a target one should aim for. That's not how I understand the speed limit...

The speed limit is a maximum speed that you should reach, depending on current driving conditions, which includes the type of road, weather, traffic etc.

It is dangerous to go significantly slower than the rest of the traffic, because for example if you're on a motorway and merge at speed, you should to some extent assume that traffic is travelling at least close to the speed limit, unless there is obvious traffic congestion. If a car is going ridiculously slower, it is dangerous for you to be approaching at the speed limit as you won't notice their lack of speed until you are quite close as you haven't been on the road long enough to observe the vehicle. You then either need to slow down quickly and potentially shock vehicles behind you, or overtake - which isn't always possible. I would suggest a lower limit of 50mph on the motorway, as it just seems ridiculous, and I can't imagine why anyone would need to travel slower than this.
The 45mph hard limit only applies to learners/newly qualified drivers in Northern Ireland. And this limit is set to be scrapped when the new traffic laws come into effect.

Otherwise, as others have said, you are expected to drive at or near the speed limit when conditions allow for it. If you look at the driving test mark sheet, under the "Progress" section, you can be penalised for not driving at the appropriate speed. In my test, I was given a minor for doing 30mph in a 40mph zone, mainly because I was chatting with the examiner and so kinda distracted.
Also, remember that if you travel much slower than the limits for no reason, you will cause vehicles behind to get frustrated and try to overtake you.

During your driving test, if you do not reach close to the limits where safe to do so, the examiner has no proof that you are able to handle the car at speed, and so may assume that you can’t.
You should always adhere to the conditions of the road, so going really slowly on a clear dual carriageway will probably fail you. However, some 60 roads are windy, narrow etc., in which case it is better to go at a lower speed.

Somebody above mentioned that overtaking isn’t a required part of the test - however it shows that you are confident and comfortable on the road if you can, for example overtake a vehicle going at 50 on the dual carriageway - safely of course! Luckily my examiner told me when we got to the dual carriageway that we would only be on it for a mile, so I didn’t overtake anyone as I would be coming off soon and having to get back in lane quickly.

If you are on a normal road and behind a cyclist or something extremely slow like a road sweeper I find it safer to overtake (when is straight and clear ofc) or you can end up in first gear going less than 10mph behind them for ages, having to be really careful not to get too close etc. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check
Not if you're on a motorbike and can filter through them :smile:

I know. :frown: Wish I still had my motorbike.

Original post by claudiu1234

When conditions allow you to drive safely at the speed limit, that speed limit is your target speed. When conditions don't allow you to do so for whatever reason (traffic, bend in the road, hazards like pedestrians, ice etc.) then you drive according to those conditions instead.
Original post by Dez

Where's this? I don't think I've seen a mandatory (red circle) 45 limit... just square signs saying 'max speed X' which are afaik just advisory... though I suppose the cops could do you for undue care and attention if you grossly exceeded it.
Reply 9
Original post by Joinedup
Where's this? I don't think I've seen a mandatory (red circle) 45 limit... just square signs saying 'max speed X' which are afaik just advisory... though I suppose the cops could do you for undue care and attention if you grossly exceeded it.

In NI new drivers cannot drive faster than 45mph on any road. It's a pretty strange law.
Reply 10
Original post by julietlima3
And this limit is set to be scrapped when the new traffic laws come into effect.

Ooo, linky?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury

http://roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/n-a-4834/

tldr: drink drive limit reduced
learners will have to keep a logbook showing their programme of training
45mph limit abolished, learners will be allowed onto motorways
a "curfew" on new drivers
Reply 12
Original post by julietlima3
http://roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/n-a-4834/

tldr: drink drive limit reduced
learners will have to keep a logbook showing their programme of training
45mph limit abolished, learners will be allowed onto motorways
a "curfew" on new drivers

Ah, that received Royal Assent in 2016
http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/assembly-business/legislation/2011-2016-mandate/primary-legislation-current-bills/road-traffic-amendment-bill/

...but doesn't appear to be in effect, probably due to the shenanagins at the NIA.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/road-user-and-law

^no mention in here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending