The Student Room Group

Why do women lie about their dating preferences?

Proof.

"Results showed that a man's looks influenced both groups of women more strongly than his personality profile. This held true even if a man's profile was filled with highly desirable personal qualities, such as being respectful, honest and trustworthy."

And...

"This is not true of men, she said. Men are more consciously aware or more willing to admit that good looks in a woman are more important to them than personality, Fugère said."

So can we finally put to rest the view that women care more about a guy's personality?
Reply 1
Yes, we can put it to rest

Take care
Reply 2
I dont think girls really know what they want, they aren't able to quantify what they are attracted to.

Girls really do care more about personality once a guy meets a certain standard for attractiveness, shallow guys won't be any good for the long run.
Women prefer good looks than personality. Period.
Original post by anniekeshler
Women prefer good looks than personality. Period.

Besides the question of whether women "lie" about what they really prefer (maybe they do, maybe they don't), a more pertinent question is: why then do women profess to be so upset if men say they prefer looks (and BTW different men prefer different looks in women)?
Reply 5
because women get emotional about this and i dont wanna get into personal fights.
Original post by Justvisited
Besides the question of whether women "lie" about what they really prefer (maybe they do, maybe they don't), a more pertinent question is: why then do women profess to be so upset if men say they prefer looks (and BTW different men prefer different looks in women)?

Men prefer looks in women, and they wouldn't lie about it. They'll answer it straight that they prefer looks more than anything that woman has to offer. It goes way back then with Helen of Troy, that shows beauty is everything.
This thread makes you look bitter.
Reply 8
Original post by YaliaV
This thread makes you look bitter.

You were saying?
Original post by Anonymous
You were saying?

That's a stretch. You're the one getting emotional because you were turned down on a dating site. Maybe it's your personality that's repelling the ladies.
Original post by YaliaV
That's a stretch. You're the one getting emotional because you were turned down on a dating site. Maybe it's your personality that's repelling the ladies.

This isn't about me. I simply cited study and one of you is being passive-agressive for no reason and the other is attacking me personally.

Thanks for proving me right tho.
Reply 11
it's because a personality profile doesn't tell you anything about a person. who doesn't say they are honest, intelligent, respectful, etc? nobody. but so far they're just words on paper; doesn't mean anything to a stranger. moreover, personality traits are subjective. you're not honest and intelligent until someone else thinks you are. i could say i'm really funny, but if you don't think so it doesn't really matter.

imo women say looks don't matter much because they know they've liked average looking dudes in the past - it's just that they got to know them first. these women in the study don't know these dudes, so of course their looks matter more. plus studies show that good looking people are more trusted than not good looking people. and, if you take care of yourself physically it sends the message that you're not lazy, that you value yourself, which is a huge turn on for anyone. so yeah, the way you look showcases your personality. these researchers should know this.
Original post by Anonymous
This isn't about me. I simply cited study and one of you is being passive-agressive for no reason and the other is attacking me personally.

Thanks for proving me right tho.

You're being disingenuous. You should take responsibility for your own failures instead of being bitter towards women. You didn't even have the courage to post this without going anon - that says a lot.
Reply 13
I think people understimate in real life what moderately attractive actually means.

It's definately greater than attractive.

Having approached a lot of woman eventually I realised that if upon approaching her you are not getting the vibe in the next few seconds that this girl is strongly attracted to you ...then it's best to simply cut your losses and walk away, because the intereaction has a very slim chance of progressing to something more physical. despite what you say to her or how much she is laughing at your jokes/enjoying your company etc..
Reply 14
I've come accross this same study myself before

I think what OP is trying to point out is that personality is not as important as women claim it to be, and so he is asking them why they lie [as lets face it, most women on here claim personality to play a significantly greater role in attraction than looks, and frequently imply that a man of medicore/so so looks can be desireable to them if he has a great personality]
How is he bitter? it's a natural fact that women are entitled to what they don't deserve.

Latest

Trending

Trending