The Student Room Group

My A level Journey

27/8/18 Basically after I got my GCSE results, I wasn't too pleased.
I want to go into Y12 with a different attitude and hopefully actually make better use of my time.
This is mainly for myself but follow along if you want.
So I'm thinking of doing Maths, FM, chem, physis, econ and probs not mandarin.
I realise that no matter how good my top grades are it will the weaker ones that bring me down and i can't dedicate all my time into just maths and hings I'm good at.
Also I'm realising I was probs a bit crazy, during exams I was still attending orchestra, karate, piano lessons, sometimes table tennis and chinese school like during the half term. Although cramming is my thing i literally left no time to revise or idek I definitely could've done more.
Going into Y12 i can't stick to timetables but i think to do lists work well so revising every week and creating notes. The only subject I have my own notes for is English the rest I don't have any revision material for.
Also I really need to figure out some more super curriculum and drop the extra curriculum since it's doing nothing for me.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Wow that is a lot!
What did you get for your GCSE s?
Reply 2
Original post by Ariel2611
Wow that is a lot!
What did you get for your GCSE s?

1 A*, 5 9s, 2 8s, 3 6s +A in add maths I'm planning to drop at least one subject- but I have a bad feeling I'll want to drag out my descision.
Original post by Angel_Chen
1 A*, 5 9s, 2 8s, 3 6s +A in add maths I'm planning to drop at least one subject- but I have a bad feeling I'll want to drag out my descision.

They are fantastic grades!
Well done you!
How did you revise? When did you start? What do you want to become? Any revision tips??
Reply 4
Original post by Ariel2611
They are fantastic grades!
Well done you!
How did you revise? When did you start? What do you want to become? Any revision tips??
Honestly I crammed the night before or even morning before. But I put in work and understood everyhting the first time round so it wasn't relearning just revision. I have a good memory so reading the textbook helped. I wish I had done more exam questions and read through mark schemes and specifictions because they are pretty important. Revision tips is start early and maybe 30 mins everyday but it will make the difference. In the future I would love to go into investment banking! WBU??? what year are you in and what subjects you studying atm?
Honestly I crammed the night before or even morning before. But I put in work and understood everyhting the first time round so it wasn't relearning just revision. I have a good memory so reading the textbook helped. I wish I had done more exam questions and read through mark schemes and specifictions because they are pretty important. Revision tips is start early and maybe 30 mins everyday but it will make the difference. In the future I would love to go into investment banking! WBU??? what year are you in and what subjects you studying atm?

That's great!
Good luck for the future!
I have my own thread where it says everything about me: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5548744

Thank you for the tips too! :-)
Reply 6
28/8/18Basically I don't know why I did so badly. Honestly I didn't think I'd get any 6s but I did, not 1 but 3 and now I don't know the problem so I don't know how to do better next time. I thought it might be time but those two subjects i put the most time and effort into. I just can't find the motivation to revise for our physics baseline test, tbh I'm just so messed up.
Reply 7
3/9/18 Well only a month until the Mathematical Olypiad for Girls which I hope will go well. Also I think I just need to decide which subject to drop in the first week, it might even be Economics now because my other subjects count as facilitating ones and I don't know if I can do an essay based subject. Either I'll write better essays after 2 years or Economics will be a disaster and I might not be able to get the grades I want. 2 days before school...
Reply 8
14/9/18 Jokes how theres is 6 boys vs 138 girls at our school. School is going really well, but I still don't know what to drop I'm actually starting to worry about Economics beause I am not the best in the class and I'm not sure what my level is at since some of them did business GCSE at least. I'm settling in ok and have made some new friends- ish I guess I don't know if 2 years is enough to completely befreind people, but unsurprisingly I get on with the guys as I did in primary school. I'm struggling with physics because i don't understand the theory when u explain with maths it's fine but I forget the explanaition and I'm confused again. Chemistry i get the work done the fastest and I'm so far understanding everything. But...it seems odd to do maths, fm, chem and econ I haven't met anyoe doing that commbo. I think although I might not do chem and physics later, it's best to drop econ because I find it hardest and it leaves options open.
Reply 9
19/9/18 I've dropped economics and have like 4 frees wednesdays :P. In such a good mood as I finally have time and I've managed to finish all homework (mostly in lessons lol) but it means I just need to type up chemistry note. I've typed all my physics notes and for maths it's mostly about the questions which i always fininsh in class. Also on isaac physics I've entered the senior physics summer camp thing and so excited for the CERN trip at the end of this year, mostly to visit the place not CERN but ngl it will be so facinating and really is a once in a life time experience. I feel like I'm coping well with A levels so far but i can still be more efficient i get distracted way too easily.Also I've started at the orchestra on mondays which is like a stressful fun since the music is hard but I've never played in a proper orchestra only a string one. It will also be good for me to get to know a few of the private school kids. :P
28/9/18- who doesn't love a teacher training day. Only 4 days until the MOG and this year I'll be doing it with a friend!!! Also organising the senior team maths challenge just got to sort a day and room then we can start practising and hopefully be organised and come up with a good statergy for the day (21 nov). also feel like i still have no homework :P probably because I'm doing it asap and need to get use to doing the isaac physics questions although 5 maths and 5 physics a day is a bit optimistic! Hope everyone is doing well.
28/9/18- who doesn't love a teacher training day. Only 4 days until the MOG and this year I'll be doing it with a friend!!! Also organising the senior team maths challenge just got to sort a day and room then we can start practising and hopefully be organised and come up with a good statergy for the day (21 nov). also feel like i still have no homework :P probably because I'm doing it asap and need to get use to doing the isaac physics questions although 5 maths and 5 physics a day is a bit optimistic! Hope everyone is doing well.

Good luck for the MOG! I hope you enjoy the problems :smile: In terms of the STMC- for the group round I would advise you to put your strongest two on the team as starting at the end questions (Q10- unless you find these too hard!) and the weaker members at the start (Q1) and work towards the middle so that you don't end up stuck on one of the 'difficult' questions at the last second. This happened last year for my team last year so we just had to guess an answer (which was incorrect). For the crossnumber and relay I would say you should mix up the teams so you have the 1st and 4th best as a pair and the 2nd and 3rd as a pair, otherwise one pair may get stuck and you won't be able to progress (this once again comes from previous experiences!). It may also be helpful to become more familiar with cubes/ triangular numbers/ numbers like 3435 = 3^3 +4^4 +3^3 + 5^5 since this knowledge can seriously reduce time taken in calculations.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yh i have memorised triangular Fibonacci cubes and squares up to 15^3and 10^3 also wouldntit be better to have 1-3 2-4 instead if1-4 2-3 idk especially if u canttell who's better because I don't lnowif those from the year above are that good like I don't remeber them getting prizes or anything 😂
Original post by psc---maths
Good luck for the MOG! I hope you enjoy the problems :smile: In terms of the STMC- for the group round I would advise you to put your strongest two on the team as starting at the end questions (Q10- unless you find these too hard!) and the weaker members at the start (Q1) and work towards the middle so that you don't end up stuck on one of the 'difficult' questions at the last second. This happened last year for my team last year so we just had to guess an answer (which was incorrect). For the crossnumber and relay I would say you should mix up the teams so you have the 1st and 4th best as a pair and the 2nd and 3rd as a pair, otherwise one pair may get stuck and you won't be able to progress (this once again comes from previous experiences!). It may also be helpful to become more familiar with cubes/ triangular numbers/ numbers like 3435 = 3^3 4^4 3^3 5^5 since this knowledge can seriously reduce time taken in calculations.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yh i have memorised triangular Fibonacci cubes and squares up to 15^3and 10^3 also wouldntit be better to have 1-3 2-4 instead if1-4 2-3 idk especially if u canttell who's better because I don't lnowif those from the year above are that good like I don't remeber them getting prizes or anything 😂

1+4=2+3 quick maths. Why don't you all do a past ukmt paper and see what your respective scores are? If you've done all the ones online there are books with papers all the way back to the 1980s.
Original post by psc---maths
1+4=2+3 quick maths. Why don't you all do a past ukmt paper and see what your respective scores are? If you've done all the ones online there are books with papers all the way back to the 1980s.

Glad u can do yr 1 maths 😂 anyways I think I'm just going to get everyone to do the 10 questions individually in a set time and see who got which ones done that way I can also see who prefers which topics and who's better... which yr u in?
Glad u can do yr 1 maths 😂 anyways I think I'm just going to get everyone to do the 10 questions individually in a set time and see who got which ones done that way I can also see who prefers which topics and who's better... which yr u in?

y13- last year we got into the national final (just) but am hoping we can score higher this year!!
Best of luck with the MOG:woo: lots of my friends are doing it and it seems really interesting :smile:
Original post by Toastiekid
Best of luck with the MOG:woo: lots of my friends are doing it and it seems really interesting :smile:

Good luck to everyone but lol how in like 2011 there were only 154 applications and now it's nearly 2,000
Good luck to everyone but lol how in like 2011 there were only 154 applications and now it's nearly 2,000

wow really?! It’s grown so much:eek: I think only half the girls in my year are doing it, I didn’t sign up because I didn’t want to overwhelm myself with tests:colondollar:
Are you doing the smc this year?
Original post by Toastiekid
wow really?! It’s grown so much:eek: I think only half the girls in my year are doing it, I didn’t sign up because I didn’t want to overwhelm myself with tests:colondollar:
Are you doing the smc this year?

yh i will be i think there r 2 in the school me included lol :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending