The Student Room Group

I want to study law but have a D in GCSE maths :(((

Hellooo, i’m a student currently studying A-Levels: English lang and lit, sociology and psychology.
I flopped my GCSE maths, straight up. Maths has NEVER been my strongest point and i have taken into consideration that this may let me down massively. Although my GCSE’s aren’t very good, i have stepped up my game and am now working with predicted grades of A/A/A*. Would universities overlook my bad maths GCSE?
p.s i’m looking to apply to some russel groups also

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Jenny102
Hellooo, i’m a student currently studying A-Levels: English lang and lit, sociology and psychology.
I flopped my GCSE maths, straight up. Maths has NEVER been my strongest point and i have taken into consideration that this may let me down massively. Although my GCSE’s aren’t very good, i have stepped up my game and am now working with predicted grades of A/A/A*. Would universities overlook my bad maths GCSE?
p.s i’m looking to apply to some russel groups also

Thank you :smile:

Umm, if you've got a D in GCSE maths then you've got to retake it anyway!

The answer is that it's not going to help you, either the original D or whatever you get at your retake, by virtue of your having to retake it. You'd need to check carefully with the universities you're interested in that (a) they will accept a retake and (b) what grade (if any) they actually require at GCSE maths. Some need a 4(C), some will expect a 5(high C) or 6 (B)

Showing very poor mathematical ability can be a bit of a red flag for law. Law is based in large part on logic, and what is maths if it isn't logic?
(edited 5 years ago)
If you can get that high of an A LEVEL grade then I’m sure you can get a C in GCSE maths. They all need it nowadays so I suggest resitting to get a 4/5.
Resit your maths at a local college evening course or by home learning by oxford open learning,
As other's have said, you need to consider resitting Maths at your local college. Because if you wish to become a solicitor, chances are you'll probably going to learn tax stuff when SQE route comes into force. I'm doing the LPC right now and all tax and numbers stuff is bit daunting. So getting a good Maths grade will be beneficial for your career and future study.

Just no, there is no shame in resitting, you should do anything to maximise your employability/career potiential.
resit, there's no reason you shouldn't have a maths gcse, its a basic qualification that pretty sure most unis require with the exception of e.g. essex for socio
You can also study law with the Open University online after retaking your maths.
(edited 5 years ago)
you can resit your maths next month (november)
also you can’t get lower than what you got so you will either get a D or go higher

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending