The Student Room Group

Ever done something stupid when driving and been like 'That was a very bad idea'?

I was leaving a car park at my work a few days ago, car park isn't very big, anyways on one side there was a lorry with it's rear door thing out flat, then on the other side there was a ford ST, I shouldn't have even tried going through, should've just waited for the removal men to return anyways, I tried to go through (I knew it was going to be a very tight squeeze) was like 1/5th of the way through when I heard a scraping noise, I knew I had scraped my car on the removal door, so had to reverse, I had no choice which just made the scrapes deeper/worse and instead of waiting, went back through, luckily I managed to get through without a problem this time, probably should've waited though just to make sure I didn't scrape it again.

Anyways, I would like the rest of you to share your stories, some may be more serious than others or they may be stupid ideas like myself, share them! I've done other things like stalling but as I wanted to correct myself as quick as possible, I ended up stalling like 5 more times in the exact same space, just learnt to take my time if I do stall.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cbaforcba
I was leaving a car park at my work a few days ago, car park isn't very big, anyways on one side there was a lorry with it's rear door thing out flat, then on the other side there was a ford ST, I shouldn't have even tried going through, should've just waited for the removal men to return anyways, I tried to go through (I knew it was going to be a very tight squeeze) was like 1/5th of the way through when I heard a scraping noise, I knew I had scraped my car on the removal door, so had to reverse, I had no choice which just made the scrapes deeper/worse and instead of waiting, went back through, luckily I managed to get through without a problem this time, probably should've waited though just to make sure I didn't scrape it again.

Anyways, I would like the rest of you to share your stories, some may be more serious than others or they may be stupid ideas like myself, share them! I've done other things like stalling but as I wanted to correct myself as quick as possible, I ended up stalling like 5 more times in the exact same space, just learnt to take my time if I do stall.

You did report the incident right?

Give details to the Lorry driver and/or contact Police?

Otherwise you’ve damaged his/her property and they’ll be out of pocket to fix the damage you have caused
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Unistudent77
You did report the incident right?

Give details to the Lorry driver and/or contact Police?

Otherwise you’ve damaged his/her property and they’ll be out of pocket to fix the damage you have caused

I don't know if you've read the post, the lorry was fine, you know the lorrys which have the doors the open downwards and you press a button to lower it, to be fair they left it unattended and down, which could be dangerous to kids and trust me mate, due to the size of the car park, was very stupid, even when I came in they had it down and after asking for like 5 straight minutes and explaining that nobody could get past (Which they couldn't) they finally lifted it up, anyways only damage was on my car
I don't know if you've read the post, the lorry was fine, you know the lorrys which have the doors the open downwards and you press a button to lower it, to be fair they left it unattended and down, which could be dangerous to kids and trust me mate, due to the size of the car park, was very stupid, even when I came in they had it down and after asking for like 5 straight minutes and explaining that nobody could get past (Which they couldn't) they finally lifted it up, anyways only damage was on my car

I have re-read, if the only damage was to your car then fair enough.

It’s hard if they were only there unloading/loading but yes they were in the wrong.

Did you report the other occassion where you hit the audi, you mentioned it in a previous post?
I made mistakes but those mistakes are what made me
Reply 5

It’s hard if they were only there unloading/loading but yes they were in the wrong.

Did you report the other occassion where you hit the audi, you mentioned it in a previous post?

Nope, got to be honest with you, wrong of me yes, and I only noticed it because I was looking for it in detail, so it wasn't noticeable unless looking in detail, also believe me or not, if it was any more, of course I would've left my detail, I'm not really looking to be arrested for a hit & run, also to be honest, didn't really cross my mind.
(edited 5 years ago)

Drove around stoned practically all of the time for approximately three years, often actually smoking joints whilst driving around. Drank a 70cl bottle of Morgan's Spiced rum at a ska music festival down at Folkestone harbour during the day, stopped drinking maybe four or five o'clock in the afternoon, went to get pizza for dinner and chilled out for a few hours. Felt like I'd sobered up so decided to drive home maybe eight or nine in the evening but soon realised I was still very drunk; fortunately made it home without drawing any unwanted attention to myself or seeing any police. Lots of questionable overtaking when I drove cars - such as around the wrong side of a traffic island (i.e. in the lane for traffic oncoming the opposite way) in Sandgate (tiny Kentish seaside village) high street. In my first car I attempted to do a handbrake turn at 30ish mph on a field next to the skatepark in my town, drifted across the field and crashed the side of the car into the skatepark fence.

Fortunately, that was all between ages 19-23. Now I'm 28, don't smoke weed anymore, drink only a handful of times a year. Sold my most recent car when I decided to go travelling in September 2016. Since coming back have got a motorcycle licence and a 690cc bike. Sometimes on bikes I have definitely made some poorly judged decisions to overtake and been incredibly lucky not to have had any reprecussions. Riding bikes is a whole other world to driving cars and I'm actually taking heed of those poor judgements, learning from those mistakes. There is very little - practically none at all - scope for making mistakes on a motorcycle and keeping your body intact.
Nope, got to be honest with you, wrong of me yes, and I only noticed it because I was looking for it in detail, so it wasn't noticeable unless looking in detail, also believe me or not, if it was any more, of course I would've left my detail, I'm not really looking to be arrested for a hit & run, also to be honest, didn't really cross my mind.

Yeah fair enough.
Make sure you do report or at least leave a telephone number/note in future pal.
However these things happen and you live and learn
Original post by insouciancedward
Drove around stoned practically all of the time for approximately three years, often actually smoking joints whilst driving around. Drank a 70cl bottle of Morgan's Spiced rum at a ska music festival down at Folkestone harbour during the day, stopped drinking maybe four or five o'clock in the afternoon, went to get pizza for dinner and chilled out for a few hours. Felt like I'd sobered up so decided to drive home maybe eight or nine in the evening but soon realised I was still very drunk; fortunately made it home without drawing any unwanted attention to myself or seeing any police. Lots of questionable overtaking when I drove cars - such as around the wrong side of a traffic island (i.e. in the lane for traffic oncoming the opposite way) in Sandgate (tiny Kentish seaside village) high street. In my first car I attempted to do a handbrake turn at 30ish mph on a field next to the skatepark in my town, drifted across the field and crashed the side of the car into the skatepark fence.

Fortunately, that was all between ages 19-23. Now I'm 28, don't smoke weed anymore, drink only a handful of times a year. Sold my most recent car when I decided to go travelling in September 2016. Since coming back have got a motorcycle licence and a 690cc bike. Sometimes on bikes I have definitely made some poorly judged decisions to overtake and been incredibly lucky not to have had any reprecussions. Riding bikes is a whole other world to driving cars and I'm actually taking heed of those poor judgements, learning from those mistakes. There is very little - practically none at all - scope for making mistakes on a motorcycle and keeping your body intact.

Honest haha.

A fair few of those things I may or may not have done myself tbh.

Much better behaved these days but I do love an aggressive overtake where you absolutely burn another vehicle.
Being completely sensible is boring.

Yeah with a motorbike you’re dead so do be careful. I doubt the emergency services want to deal with the mess
Reply 9
Yeah fair enough.
Make sure you do report or at least leave a telephone number/note in future pal.
However these things happen and you live and learn

Yep, it didn't cross my mind not because I didn't want to have to pay, it just obviously registered in my head as something that isn't really worth repairing, I guess it's a bit like when somebody opens their car door on yours and leaves a mark, it's going to be very expensive to repair for a little scratch and if you do end up seeing the other driver who did it, unless you really do want them to pay for it which they technically should, you usually have an argument with them.

In my short time of driving that's really the only bad thing I have done involving somebody else, I curbed my car and had to get my CV joint repaired which was £100, then my friend was driving me to college once and he hit the wing mirror of a parked car, the road was busy so he pulled into the next Road and went back to leave a note, the driver was actually in the parked car and said he had originally called the police because he thought my friend has done a hit and run, for me the problem is definitely judging width
I was cocky about my parallel parking skills whilst being tired and trying to squeeze into a small space. I nudged a BMW and in BMW fashion, it just crumpled and the headlight washer (who needs those?) sprang out whilst my Ford had a couple scratches. :lol: Took about half an hour and googling the criminal record I could get for a hit and run, before I asked for his address from someone who knew the owner and put a note on his car. I lost my three years no claims discount :frown: but it's coming back down again.:thumbsup: And I wasn't left with a guilty conscience.

I very occasionally do things I think was stupid afterwards. It usually happens when I'm tired, stressed, impatient or behind an old driver who is driving really poorly/slowly. I get annoyed that people so bad at driving are allowed to continue to drive (and that includes some of my coworkers).
Reply 11
Original post by insouciancedward

as somebody else said, at least you're honest! I don't smoke, but drink a fair bit, I usually only drink at night anyway so I don't need to use my car, but on the other occasion that I drink during the day, I don't even risk it and if I want to go out later on I just get the bus, even if it's one drink and it's 2 or 3 hours later, knowing me I will think I'm fine, but I will be swerving all over the place
Reply 12
Original post by hannxm
I was cocky about my parallel parking skills whilst being tired and trying to squeeze into a small space. I nudged a BMW and in BMW fashion, it just crumpled and the headlight washer (who needs those?) sprang out whilst my Ford had a couple scratches. :lol: Took about half an hour and googling the criminal record I could get for a hit and run, before I asked for his address from someone who knew the owner and put a note on his car. I lost my three years no claims discount :frown: but it's coming back down again.:thumbsup: And I wasn't left with a guilty conscience.

I very occasionally do things I think was stupid afterwards. It usually happens when I'm tired, stressed, impatient or behind an old driver who is driving really poorly/slowly. I get annoyed that people so bad at driving are allowed to continue to drive (and that includes some of my coworkers).

I understand why they do it, if it ever came to it I might say different, but just to save all the hassle of going through insurance, if the person smashed something as little as a headlight I would probably just ask for it in cash, but obviously I would ask for like double the price as I wouldn't be taking away the persons no claims :biggrin:, if I was to scrape a car I would probably just drive off, but if it was anything more I would leave my details, it probably makes me look bad by saying this, but if I did clip somebodys wing mirror and I knew 100% that there would be no evidence to prove it to me, there's a possibility I would just drive off, but hopefully I never get put into that situation.

I tend to avoid situations where I have a possibility of damaging another car, like I tend to avoid tight spaces and usually give way, but every now and again I take a chance and it massively backfires but only backfires on me because only my car gets damaged, when I was on my way to work the other day somebody was overtaking a learner driver on the bend and came onto my Lane, I was thinking if I was only going a bit faster the guy would definitely have gone head-on with me but it would have been 100% his fault.

How were they in the wrong? They were stationary...
Original post by RoyalSheepy

Offence to cause an obstruction.

However, you’re correct. I was talking nonsense.

That’s mitigation for ‘cba’ ‘s collision, not in any way a legal defence.

A reportable RTC is any collision which occurs on a road or other public place and there is:
Damage to another person’s property, or another person’s vehicle or another person.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by RoyalSheepy

They just left there van with the back door down and open, just trust me, the car park was very small and as I said, even when I entered the car park, I had to ask them to lift it up, also when I was leaving they weren't any where to be seen, for all I know I could've been waiting for ages, either way I shouldn't have attempted to go through, also if for example it was a cars bumper sticking out, i.e. somthing that me attempting to get through could've caused serious damage to mine and the other persons car, I would've just waited, either way my car was the only thing that took any damage.

The term you're after is an elevating liftgate. Was your experience anything like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3n7ydQt140
Reply 17
Original post by Vinny C
The term you're after is an elevating liftgate. Was your experience anything like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3n7ydQt140

Thats exactly what I mean!
I understand why they do it, if it ever came to it I might say different, but just to save all the hassle of going through insurance, if the person smashed something as little as a headlight I would probably just ask for it in cash, but obviously I would ask for like double the price as I wouldn't be taking away the persons no claims :biggrin:, if I was to scrape a car I would probably just drive off, but if it was anything more I would leave my details, it probably makes me look bad by saying this, but if I did clip somebodys wing mirror and I knew 100% that there would be no evidence to prove it to me, there's a possibility I would just drive off, but hopefully I never get put into that situation.

I tend to avoid situations where I have a possibility of damaging another car, like I tend to avoid tight spaces and usually give way, but every now and again I take a chance and it massively backfires but only backfires on me because only my car gets damaged, when I was on my way to work the other day somebody was overtaking a learner driver on the bend and came onto my Lane, I was thinking if I was only going a bit faster the guy would definitely have gone head-on with me but it would have been 100% his fault.

He needed a new bumper which cost over a grand, so I had no choice.

How would you feel if someone hit your car and drove off? I'm sure you'd be very angry that someone didn't own up and you had to pay for repairs. I've had someone hit my car and seriously damage it and no-one owned up to it, so when I hit someone's car, I didn't want to make them feel how I felt or have to deal with a guilty conscience. It is a criminal offence to do a hit and run. You can't really hide from CCTV. Takes one hit and an owner willing to do some digging and suddenly losing your no claims discount is minor compared to having a criminal record.
if I was to scrape a car I would probably just drive off

You're the type of person who needs to get off our roads.

Quick Reply

Latest