The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
I was going to send off my application for medicine tomorrow. However, I want to apply to access to leeds. Do I send off my application then complete the A2L at a later date when its available?
thanks
Original post by amybyrne99
Hi,
I was going to send off my application for medicine tomorrow. However, I want to apply to access to leeds. Do I send off my application then complete the A2L at a later date when its available?
thanks

They are accepting applications now.

I would.

1. Ring them and confirm you will apply plus read about the program.
2. Send your medicine application off well before the Oct deadline.
3. You can submit your A2L before then end of Oct to make it in time for the mid Nov cut off.
Reply 42
Original post by TCL
See posts 631 and 656 in this thread. I can't remember where I saw it on website. Maybe @Bobbyfloater can tell you.

Ah Thanks :smile:
If Leeds is the only BMAT you are applying to, and you have max academic points, now is the time to worry about your A levels and secondly your MMI interview practice. If you are applying to Oxbridge you have my sympathy.
A startling number of people with an offer miss their grades. If you have the grades and no offers you can reapply with reasonable confidence. If you miss your grades you are in serious doodoo.
For interview you need to carefully review your work experience and create “stories” you can adapt to circumstances. Learning from mistakes, team working, role of a doctor etc. No-one ever seems to ask why you want to be a doctor (they assume you didn’t apply by accident). Try them out on people. Under no circumstances believe anyone who says you can just turn up and wing it. You may regret spending your first three interviews practising......
Original post by TCL
It was different last year because the were scoring PS. The Admissions office said that if they had been operating the current system last year, the cut off for interviews would have been around 33.

Can i ask what you mean by the scoring system?
Hey,

Can anyone confirm where Leeds state their scoring system? I haven't seen it anywhere on their website or admissions policy. ASAP please!
Original post by JammyBand
Hey,

Can anyone confirm where Leeds state their scoring system? I haven't seen it anywhere on their website or admissions policy. ASAP please!

Just forget it mate, your not cut out for medicine.
Reply 47
Original post by JammyBand
Hey,

Hi JammyBand,

You are not alone, transparency is not something Leeds likes to do!

I e-mailed them for clarification and their reply was:

On receiving the application the initial shift looks at academic background and BMAT (not UKCAT)score.

We add the marks for GCSE or AS (whichever is the higher of the 2) with the marks for predicted or actual grades at A Level to give a total of 35 points for exams.
The highest score for GCSEs is 27 points for 9 A*s (including English, Maths, and Double Science or Chemistry and Biology) or 27 points for 3 grade As at AS (including Chemistry).

The predicted grades (supplied by your school/college) are scored out of 8. 8 point are awarded for AAA. The standard offer for Leeds is AAA at A2 including chemistry. A fourth AS-level would not be academically scored therefore the presence/lack of a fourth AS would not affect an application.

BMAT scores are ranked at Leeds. The top scoring 20% (only those who applied to Leeds) are given 5 points, with 1 point being given to the bottom 20%.

Once academic scoring is finished applications are ranked again with the top 1000 being called for interview.

There are 8 stations for the MMI interviews with marks awarded for 3 attributes per station. Communication skills are marked on all stations. Points for each attribute range from 1 (poor) to 4 (excellent).

We then make around 360 offers for 256 places.

Further information can be found at the links below

Kind regards

Nicky Danks
Senior Student Education Service Officer (Admissions and WP)
School of Medicine
University of Leeds
Level 7, Worsley Building
Clarendon Way
Leeds
LS2 9NL
Tel: 0113 3437194

Useful links

MBChB course information: http://medhealth.leeds.ac.uk/info/205/mbchb

Academic and non-academic requirements: http://medhealth.leeds.ac.uk/info/202/applying_for_the_mbchb/84/selection-first_pass

How to apply: http://medhealth.leeds.ac.uk/info/202/applying_for_the_mbchb/80/how_to_apply

International students: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/info/123000/international_students

Admissions Policy: http://medhealth.leeds.ac.uk/info/202/applying_for_the_mbchb/111/full_admissions_policy

BMAT: http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/bmat/about-bmat/

UCAS: https://www.ucas.com/
Reply 48
I have 3A* 4A 2B at GCSE
Therefore I only score 19/27 for GCSEs :frown:
I score 8/8 for predicted A Levels which takes me to 27/35 for academics before BMAT. Do I stand a chance with this? Im an access to Leeds student if that helps.
Reply 49
Original post by Bajoai
I have 3A* 4A 2B at GCSE
Therefore I only score 19/27 for GCSEs :frown:
I score 8/8 for predicted A Levels which takes me to 27/35 for academics before BMAT. Do I stand a chance with this? Im an access to Leeds student if that helps.

Sorry, but it would be a waste of an application. Even if you did amazingly in the BMAT, 5 more points would take you to 32 and the cut off would have been 33 this year and may well get higher this year once people realise that PS is no longer a significant factor at Leeds so people with perfect GCSEs are pretty much guaranteed an interview.
Reply 50
Original post by TCL
Sorry, but it would be a waste of an application. Even if you did amazingly in the BMAT, 5 more points would take you to 32 and the cut off would have been 33 this year and may well get higher this year once people realise that PS is no longer a significant factor at Leeds so people with perfect GCSEs are pretty much guaranteed an interview.

I didn’t know if being an access to Leeds student would help. I know they have to give a certain percentage of interviews to access students
Original post by TCL

where do you find the score system? i couldnt find it on their website
Reply 52
Probably a good idea to move threads now so you keep this for 2018 entry and don't confuse people in the future with 2019 entry stuff.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5596196
Reply 53
Access to Leeds student
Doing bmat in October
4A*, 4A, 2B GCSE and AAA predicted A levels
Original post by Bajoai
Access to Leeds student
Doing bmat in October
4A*, 4A, 2B GCSE and AAA predicted A levels

Have you already applied for access to Leeds? or are applications not open yet?
Reply 55
Original post by The_JoKeR
Have you already applied for access to Leeds? or are applications not open yet?

No I don’t believe they are open yet (it says end of sept on their website). I have plans to apply though
Original post by Bajoai
No I don’t believe they are open yet (it says end of sept on their website). I have plans to apply though

Ah. If you meet the criteria are you guaranteed acceptance to the scheme?
Reply 57
Original post by The_JoKeR
Ah. If you meet the criteria are you guaranteed acceptance to the scheme?

Initially yeah, but you have to complete some online workshops and a mini assignment to secure the access to Leeds offer.
9 A* and 1 A at GCSE.
Predicted A*A*A at A-level.
Doing BMAT in October. This gives me a score of 34 before BMAT.
Would I have a good chance at Leeds to get an interview?
Thanks
Original post by Bajoai
Initially yeah, but you have to complete some online workshops and a mini assignment to secure the access to Leeds offer.

Ah, doesn't sound too bad.
Original post by medapplicant2k19
9 A* and 1 A at GCSE.
Predicted A*A*A at A-level.
Doing BMAT in October. This gives me a score of 34 before BMAT.
Would I have a good chance at Leeds to get an interview?
Thanks

Yep, a very good chance.

Latest

Trending

Trending