The Student Room Group

The 'Welp, I tried' A-Level blog

Scroll to see replies

a doll's house was on my wider reading list:giggle:
Original post by troubletracking
short-ish phaha:redface:
I'm afraid not, this was the debatably even weirder 'sexy ass modest mouse' playlist *don't know whether this situation calls for the :lol: or the :facepalm:*
One chance??? No pressure:s-smilie: vampiremojo is a reference to a book series haha I swear I didn't come up with that monstrosity on my own:biggrin:
Merci!!:hugs:
Ik, been feeling a bit overwhelmed recently so tryna up my French game

:rofl:
I think it calls for the :facepalm: :tongue:
Yep :tongue: Hey, if your second username is better than your first, it's worth it, right? :dontknow:
Should I try and up my Memrise game and make you look bad? :eviltongue:
I've been offline recently and welp, it means catching up on blogs :tongue: I guess your posts are getting shorter? :lol: They don't feel that long anymore :dontknow:
Ooh! Is the maths/fm/physics/chemistry student as good as I am? :rofl:
Well done for finishing the 5K again! :woo: (that girl was deffo lying when she said she wasn't fit :/)
And yay! You're using more BBCode! :yay:
(PRSOM btw)
Sunday, 30th September 2018
Post length: moderate in length but also mediocre in content

This weekend has been pretty busy for my standards, which is pretty wild because normally my weekends are fairly quiet and usually consist of starting at a screen and/or doing schoolwork.

Started out my Saturday by accidentally sleeping in (what's new lol), and then running to my Gran's house to do some cleaning. I was halfway through cleaning out her cupboards when a lady came round to do her nails and asked if I could clean out her cupboards. I go, "£8 an hour!!" because I'm a sarcastic little **** and can't keep my mouth shut because I thought she was joking, but apparently, she wasn't, so next week I'm off to some lady's house to clean out her kitchen cupboards. Not quite the Saturday job I had in mind, but if anyone needs their kitchen cupboards cleaning, hmu because I'm your gal. Apparently.

Today, my two closest friends from high school came round to Meghan HQ, so I got up at 8am and spent a good two hours frantically dusting and vacuuming and telling my sister to get the Febreze out. Met them at the bus station at around half ten, then we had a great time in my room catching up when we were supposed to be 'working'. They both go to the same college, and an EPQ is compulsory in year 12 there, so they were both stressing over research sheets and, sheesh, I'm almost put off by the idea of doing one, and you can only do it in year 13 at my school (which seems a bit daft tbh but I'm not gonna complain). Their school also gives them matching folders and, hot damn, I'm jealous, name something sexier than white folders with matching college-branded spines:drool:

Yeah, so basically very little work got done, but I had a lot of fun and it was great catching up. It actually made me so nostalgic, which is becoming a running theme atm, and it's not that I wish I'd gone to my high school's sixth form, but more so that I just miss high school. Bit lame, but y'all know how I roll by now. As a general thing, I'm lowkey so obsessed with the past it's a little extreme, which sounds really pretentious because I'm sixteen and don't really have much of a past to mope over, you know? Really don't want this to become a place where I offload all my life's problems that I should be telling my friends or writing down somewhere, but I just need to work on living in the present, cheesy as it is. YOLO and all that, amirite? Because for the past year it's felt like I'm always walking forwards while looking backwards, and I'm kinda sick at looking at the past through rose-tinted glasses and wishing for it to be six months ago like everything was so much better then, when actually my mental health was pretty damn awful back then, but of course I don't focus on that fact when I'm listening to my Spring 2018 playlist and staring into space at 1am.

I am ashamed to say I've done very little work this weekend, specifically today. I can't remember the last time I left the house during a Sunday during term time, because I always reserve them to get all my work done, but today was quite a change from that. I have got a fair bit of English homework due Tuesday that I'll do in my free tomorrow and after school, and I copied out my history notes during the frees I had on Friday. Thankfully, we didn't get a French sheet this week, so it's not all bad. I'm not completely out of my depth yet.

French:

I imported this week's vocab into Quizlet. That's it. Wow. Such revision. Very work. Ugh, we stan a productive queen.

Apologies to anyone who dragged their eyeballs through that mess of a post, and hopefully there'll be more actual work coming your way soon but hey ho we can't all be productive 24/7. The Couple's Therapy podcast has updated, so I'm going to listen to that and tidy my bedroom, so goodnight to y'all and I hope next week (this week.?) is a great one. It's time to get spooky, my friends:wink:

Pour souls who have committed to being tagged:
(if you're also slightly masochistic, lemme know if you wanna be tagged- or removed, for that matter)

Spoiler

Ugugugug I am so bad at responding wow, sorry again:colondollar:

Original post by entertainmyfaith
a doll's house was on my wider reading list:giggle:

:highfive:

Original post by nyxnko_
I think it calls for the :facepalm: :tongue:
Yep :tongue: Hey, if your second username is better than your first, it's worth it, right? :dontknow:
Should I try and up my Memrise game and make you look bad? :eviltongue:
I've been offline recently and welp, it means catching up on blogs :tongue: I guess your posts are getting shorter? :lol: They don't feel that long anymore :dontknow:
Ooh! Is the maths/fm/physics/chemistry student as good as I am? :rofl:
Well done for finishing the 5K again! :woo: (that girl was deffo lying when she said she wasn't fit :/)
And yay! You're using more BBCode! :yay:
(PRSOM btw)

I agree, tbh:biggrin:
I guess so:yes: Haven't got round to changing it yet tho:colondollar:
Honestly it'll probably motivate me, so by all means whip out your Korean:lol:
Same, I'm pretty bad at keeping up with everything on here tbh:redface: But you're deffo a busy gal so don't feel bad:yep: Pahhaa I'll take that as a compliment:rofl:
Pfft who is as good as you, Kei?:noway:
I was so betrayed:cry2:
Ik! I'm really down with the kids, huh?:tongue:
Started out my Saturday by accidentally sleeping in (what's new lol)

Mood
Ugugugug I am so bad at responding wow, sorry again:colondollar:

:highfive:

I agree, tbh:biggrin:
I guess so:yes: Haven't got round to changing it yet tho:colondollar:
Honestly it'll probably motivate me, so by all means whip out your Korean:lol:
Same, I'm pretty bad at keeping up with everything on here tbh:redface: But you're deffo a busy gal so don't feel bad:yep: Pahhaa I'll take that as a compliment:rofl:
Pfft who is as good as you, Kei?:noway:
I was so betrayed:cry2:
Ik! I'm really down with the kids, huh?:tongue:

that's okay :hugs: you're busy and I get that :yes:
welp, when you finally decide the embarrassment isn't worth it, you can change it :yes:
okay, I'll whip out Korean, Japanese and French :lol:
which is what I just said to you :colondollar: please do :lol:
ofc, no one :rofl: (gosh, that sounds so arrogant... :colondollar:)
:console: I promise I am a much worse runner than you are.
Yes! :woo:
OMG your friends are so lucky! I would kill to get any folders from my school...
A free and empty weekend is alright once in a while as long as it's not every weekend :yep:
glad i’m not the only one who’s not productive at all :lol:
Monday, 8th October 2018
Today's timetable: History (P2), French (P4)
Post length: I don't fecking know

The auditorium is silent, and the audience awaits with bated breath. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, ‘Dancing Queen’ sounds, and onto the stage awkwardly swaggers a below-average height, dark-haired girl who looks prepubescent but may or not be approaching adulthood within the next two years. She flaps her arms around haphazardly, bops out of time, and waves. The crowd rejoices. She leans into the microphone on the podium. I’m back, homies”

Ugh, I'm so sorry about not replying and keeping up with blog posts- I'll try and catch up tomorrow, I promise. I've just been feeling really overwhelmed and unmotivated lately and there's just so much to do and so little time and wow I thought I'd at least survive a half term before feeling like I've been hit by a ton of bricks, but nope, someone peel my lifeless body from my bedroom floor, please and thank you.

So I'm five weeks into A-levels and I'd say I've realised quite a few things: wearing a watch was the best thing I ever decided to do, I probably should've bought a staples better binder because my £1.50 Sainsbury's bargain isn't holding up too well, there's way too many goddamn stairs in my college than necessary, I still don't feel completely settled in, that 5k may well have been the worst thing I've ever signed up for, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be running off too-little sleep for the entirety of these two years.

Anyway, this weekend I got done a fair bit of French and barely made a dent in my history (because I'm an unproductive potato), so this morning I voluntarily came in for first period despite not starting lessons until second, and finished off said history, which was an action/reaction timeline thing of all the beef between Ireland and England in the early 20th century. Last Monday, I got my grade for my first history essay back, which was a B+, but it's so weird not being forced to do corrections. Used to dread those lessons in high school where the purple pen of progress would come out, but it's only now that I can see how important they are. At some point this week I need to do them so I know where I can improve next time.

Had a free where I did some more history notes, then French was listening (ugh), which didn't go half bad actually. We marked the homework which I did pretty good in, and then we got our speaking feedback sheets back. On Fridays, I have a session with a French speaking assistant, and this was only my second session, but it was a slight improvement from my first one. The only issue is that she writes the feedback in French so we're all tryna Google Translate our comments. A lot of things I got wrong were pronunciation problems (lmao kept pronouncing 'aussi' as 'ozzy':wink:, and stuff that was wrong but idk why it was wrong, like I don't know if it's grammar rule I don't know or a one-off or what, but yeah that was that.

Got home at a reasonable 5pm, which is getting to be an issue because I get home at 6pm when I've got fifth period so I want to start getting the train but I don't want my parents to pay for my train fare so I need a goddamn job and I've been freaking trying for months and it's just not happening ugugug:angry:
Anyway, lately I've been so unmotivated to work when I get home. Like, I sit at my desk and eat biscuits and go on my laptop and play my guitar and procrastinate doing work until like 8pm, and by then I'm tired and fed up. Really need to get my life together tbh; tempted to read my old blog for some motivation cos right now I'm a hecking m e s s.

Today's pitiful attempt at productivity:

English:

Did my English homework, which was to listen to some woman on youtube recite a 20 minute rendition of Goblin Market because evidently she's got nowt better to do which I did in my frees on Friday, and then to make a summary of every one of the 26 stanzas, which would've taken a lot less time if I didn't get distracted every five minutes. Goblin Market is literally 20-odd pages long, and quite frankly a little bit unnecessarily long (no tea no shade Rossetti don't @ me), and goes on about some goblins selling fruit and one of the sisters eats the fruit when she shouldn't and the other one's like "wtf laura" and there's this big dramatic longing for some peaches or whatever until the other sister goes and gets some fruit for Laura but the goblins throw it at her to try and get her to eat it but she doesn't, and then she goes home and Laura licks all the juices off her and they all live happily ever after, so yeah, nice. So how's your English class going?

Okay so I'm gonna go now because I'm so so tired and I've got to be up at 6am tomorrow and my head hurts and I'm stressed. I've also received two PMs about revision advice and I said I'd reply weeks ago with tips and stuff and I've got a big ass post that's too long to send so I'll have to make it an actual post and just tag them, but then I feel like I'll get judged or ripped to shreds by all the actual academics and maybe this advice is just generic **** anyway and there's no point in me trying and I'm sorry if you're reading this I will get back to you soon okay okay I'm off to bed now g'night all take care:redface:

(if you're also slightly masochistic, lemme know if you wanna be tagged- or removed, for that matter)

Spoiler

being asked for revision tips is a good sign meg:wink:
well done on history!:thumbsup:
long poems:yucky:
Post length: long :yes:
Awww.. feeling overwhelmed is never nice :no:
I actually stopped wearing a watch in sixth form. Need to start again but all of mine have either stopped, are really old or just unsuitable for sixth form life (ie. Mickey mouse watches :tongue:)
Well done with that history grade! :woo:
Yep, same. Coming home from college just makes me want to sit and do nothing for the rest of the evening :lol:
Ermm.. is your English class (and you) okay?
:rofl: we stan revision queen Meghan!
Well, at least I can now confirm that you're not dead.
Ughghgh i hate when i don't reply for ages cos i don't know whether to not reply at all because it was so long ago but i think it makes me look rude if i don't (i totally read all the replies a week ago i swear):s-smilie:

being asked for revision tips is a good sign meg:wink:
well done on history!:thumbsup:
long poems:yucky:

Ik, but i'm kinda worried all my advice will be pointlessly generic and not all that useful:redface:
Thank you!:hugs:
Also new profile pic, who dis? Where the doggos at?:biggrin:

Original post by nyxnko_
Post length: long :yes:
Awww.. feeling overwhelmed is never nice :no:
I actually stopped wearing a watch in sixth form. Need to start again but all of mine have either stopped, are really old or just unsuitable for sixth form life (ie. Mickey mouse watches :tongue:)
Well done with that history grade! :woo:
Yep, same. Coming home from college just makes me want to sit and do nothing for the rest of the evening :lol:
Ermm.. is your English class (and you) okay?
:rofl: we stan revision queen Meghan!

ahahah thank you kween kei:adore:

Original post by Tolgarda
Well, at least I can now confirm that you're not dead.

Wouldn't be so sure of it:bricks:
(edited 5 years ago)
Wouldn't be so sure of it:bricks:

My reaction after the Colonel Chivington narrative question in the American West exam for Edexcel. :biggrin:
My reaction after the Colonel Chivington narrative question in the American West exam for Edexcel. :biggrin:

****ing hell did you really have to bring that up i've spent months trying to forget about the trauma i endured in my history gcse
****ing hell did you really have to bring that up i've spent months trying to forget about the trauma i endured in my history gcse

You emerged with over 90%, so it's alright I guess aha. Sorry, but I had to slip that one in. My friends and I will never forget that bullsh*t. However, I give Edexcel props for setting that question; that was by far the scummiest troll of all the awarding bodies.
(edited 5 years ago)
Tuesday, 16th October 2018
Today's timetable: English (P1), Tutorial (P2), History (P3), French (P5)
Post length: As long as my absence

It's 11pm and I haven't watched Bake Off yet or tidied my room and I said I'd get an early night arghhh why am I like this:argh:

I've gathered from my frequent GCSE meltdowns last year that I have two moods: Ruby Granger or full-time slug. I swing between 'fairly productive', 'somewhat organised' and 'mildly has her life together' to 'a literal mess', 'did her homework at 12pm last night' and 'we had to peel her off the floor this morning'. As you may have guessed, the past two weeks have been the latter.
Luckily, I had a four day weekend so on Friday, Sunday and Monday I made a valiant effort to get my **** together and on Saturday I made a valiant effort to not be a full-time hermit and went to see Johnny English 3 with my friend from high school (was pretty good but not as good as the first two no tea no shade).

My nice weekend, however, was abruptly ended by my 6 am alarm and my cold dark bedroom as I tried to find something to wear I hadn't worn in the last week (we're six weeks in and I've pretty much run out of clothes). After a bus journey spent learning the weekly vocab about eight hours before the test and a sweaty climb up the hill, English was my first lesson, where we were split into groups and making exam questions which had themes that overlapped both Rossett's shite poetry (sorry babe it's as bland as your non-existent marriage) and A Doll's House. All of my options are stressing me out at the moment, and English is stressing me out because we've literally gone over about five poems before moving on to Ibsen, and we've just watched it as opposed to actually reading it. I trust the teachers because they definitely know what they're doing, but apparently we're moving onto Twelfth Night after half term and we still haven't read the damn book nor analysed the damn poems.

Tutorial was next, where our tutor talked to us about the importance of mental health and gave us lots of links and numbers and places we could turn to if we were struggling with anything. Then she talked about this thing called 'monitoring', which is lowkey just parents evening without the parents. over the next few weeks we're having interview type thingys with all our teachers where we talk about how we're doing and whether we've contemplated running away to become farmers in Peru yet, and then we get a report-type thing posted on this online website my school proper bums off that our parents can see. Fun fun fun.

After break, I had history, where we finished up topic four (of unit one of section one of one half of the course lmao), the 'Irish Problem', which was basically a bunch of grown men having hissy fits about who gets to have which land and which religion is better than the other. We're starting Suffragettes on Thursday, and I'm actually quite excited because it's literally the only part of the course I know something about prior to actually learning it so maybe I won't' be sat at the front like a clueless pinecone for once (don't doubt it tho lol). Ugh Emmeline Pankhurst don't let me down babe. We also had this debate thing where we thought of women in an early 20th century and why they weren't allowed to vote and it was just really funny tbh

Had lunch, and then a free where I wandered around Primark with my friend because she wanted to look at a furry jacket. Came back about half way through period 4, where we sat down and I whipped out Quizlet for a cheeky bit of last-minute vocab revision for French. Had French fifth, where had our vocab test (15/15!!:rave: ), and then moved on to the imperfect tense which, as tenses go, really isn't my favourite. Still not completely sure what an ongoing action is really, but hey ho. I handed in all four of my French homework sheets (my teacher really doesn't mess around huh), and we got told that, no, we hadn't gotten out of Monday's listening session because we were doing it on Friday. Bummer:frown:

French:

We have a big bad passé composé test on Thursday, so I went over my irregular past participle flashcards in preparation because I probably won't be up for much work tomorrow night. I'm pretty good at vocab and grammar when it's written, but I'm not so good when I'm speaking and trying to conjugate things in my head. I can't do it naturally very well, I've got to sit there and work out the stem stuff in my head, so I guess it's good practice. I've got a sheet to finish for Thursday (getting real sick of your sheet, French teacher:grumble: ), but there's not much so I'll probably do it at school tomorrow.

History:

Today was a pretty important day for history revision: the A3 paper came out of it's hibernation from over the summer. Oh yeah baby, the mindmaps are back. First off, I made a cheeky colour-coded timeline of all the Prime Ministers that span the course, because half the time I'm confused who's prime minister and I'm sat there waiting for Margaret Thatcher to pop up like the course doesn't end in 1957. Then I made half a mindmap on Arthur Balfour's achievements during his administration, which probably shouldn't have taken me so long because he doesn't have many, poor chap. Basically, Richard recommended we buy this big-ass, £25, 700 page textbook that spans from 1815-2016 when the course itself is only 1906-1957, which is all fair and good but there's literally a textbook out there made by AQA that has everything we need in it, although apparently, that's not detailed enough. See, A level really stresses me out, because there's a spec, but at the same time, there isn't really a definitive point at which you should stop learning. So I'm sat there with the mahoosive textbook and everything so wordy and it keeps referencing stuff that cropped up back in 1878 or whatever, and I'm half debating just reading a chapter of the textbook every week like it's a novel so I've at least got some good contextual information. It's weird cos at GCSE you pretty much just learn from the textbook, but you mainly just revise from that skinny lil CGP revision guide (remember in year 10 when we used to flick through the revision guide and go 'tHErE's sO MucH tO LeARn' lmaooo), but there ain't no brief, concise revision guide anymore. If anything, the AQA textbook is like the equivalent of a revision guide compared to this brick of waffle written by some random guy (which is also weird because I've never read a textbook that isn't for an exam board before and it's almost like this fella's written that Modern British History Bible for funsies..?!)

So, yeah, really needed to get that off my chest because my mum did a really bad job of acting interested when I tried to vent out my textbook-shaped crises to her:lol:
Anyway, some other things that have happened recently are that I've applied to a bunch more jobs, go rejected from most of them already (we love a McDonald's AND a Farmfood's reject ladies). Haven't been rejected from Lidl yet so I'm holding out hope for that one, but it's probably because I got my mum to answer them really intense retail quiz thingys because I'm guessing I've got pretty crap customer service knowledge (apparently you're not supposed to just start baking 120 extra croissants without asking your manager welp who knew:redface:).
There was also something on the bulletin today which was asking for applicants to tutor Y1-Y11s, so I emailed them my CV because it's the prefect opportunity to get some relevant work experience instead of bumbling about thinking I can link DofE to 20th-century literature on a personal statement. Honestly, I'm not completely sure whether I actually want to be a teacher or I've just said it to myself so many times I've started to believe it but hey ho, I've made my bed so now I must lay in it:redface:

Tomorrow I've got an exciting day of PowerPoints and Mavis Beacon, another English lesson where me and my ego struggle to come to terms with the fact I'm not going to find English easy and effortless anymore and then the dreaded 5k before a fun time dealing with shady customers in the charity shop. I skived 5k last week because I honestly couldn't be arsed so my attendance is now 99% (college has changed me lmao) and I'm pretty sure I'm going to throw in the towel. I can't do it anymore and I'm sick of rocking up at the charity shop all sweaty. Endorphins? My body doesn't know her.

@MaizieAmyr@Toastiekid@SomMC1@clouddbubbles @entertainmyfaith @katebethanevans @RazzzBerries@nyxnko_@DominicW123@ZdYnm8vuNR@ab173@Tolgarda
(edited 5 years ago)
You emerged with over 90%, so it's alright I guess aha. Sorry, but I had to slip that one in. My friends and I will never forget that bullsh*t. However, I give Edexcel props for setting that question; that was by far the scummiest troll of all the awarding bodies.

still to this day don't know how that happened:redface: It was so bad omg i nearly rode my buffalo right out the exam hall
'mahoosive':rofl:
glad i'm not alone with the job rejection:lol::five:
well done on french:rave:
My nice weekend, however, was abruptly ended by my 6 am alarm and my cold dark bedroom as I tried to find something to wear I hadn't worn in the last week (we're six weeks in and I've pretty much run out of clothes). After a bus journey spent learning the weekly vocab about eight hours before the test and a sweaty climb up the hill, English was my first lesson, where we were split into groups and making exam questions which had themes that overlapped both Rossett's shite poetry (sorry babe it's as bland as your non-existent marriage) and A Doll's House. All of my options are stressing me out at the moment, and English is stressing me out because we've literally gone over about five poems before moving on to Ibsen, and we've just watched it as opposed to actually reading it. I trust the teachers because they definitely know what they're doing, but apparently we're moving onto Twelfth Night after half term and we still haven't read the damn book nor analysed the damn poems.

Good luck. We're literally abusing context with 1984, and analysing Hamlet's soliloquy's in the play named after the b*stard (Shakespeare's plays are still figuratively dead lmao). Our lessons are quite funny though, despite the depressing plummet from grace at GCSE. I'm also helping with a year 11 class now, which is interesting. During that class, I encountered the f*cking son of my history teacher at GCSE! YO! My reaction was all over the place haha! My history teacher for GCSE was a legend that managed to accurately predict the exact interpretations for paper three!
'mahoosive':rofl:
glad i'm not alone with the job rejection:lol::five:
well done on french:rave:

just imagine i said that in a really thick yorkshire accent:giggle:
my mum says not to worry and that something will come up someday:redface: all the best with your recent applications though!!:biggrin:
ah, merci beaucoup!:wink:

Quick Reply