The Student Room Group

Got A*, school is predicting Bs?

*I know it's on the wrong thread, wanted to be anonymous*

My schools is giving everyone terribly low predicted grades; like my friend who got As throughout the year got a B?

Our predicted grades are either the same as what we got in our mocks, or lower? Can a school do this? I haven't gotten my official predicted grades yet, but I'm really afraid they'll be lower than what I need.

Any advice? What should i do? How does other schools predict grades?
Reply 1
**comment didn't send? They got an A* before, got a B for predicted**
I was in the same place as you. My school predicted grades lower than what I was capable of and I managed to prove them wrong and got higher. They said I would never get into uni and yet again I have proved them wrong and now am doing an undergraduate degree in economics.

From what I understood from school, gcse’s are predicated from when you have at your year 6 SATs and tests throughout KS3. In some subjects, end of year 9 tests can determine what grade you are predicted in gcse. But sometimes being a teachers pet can lead you to have a higher predicted grade, which is what happend to some people back when I was at school.

If your predicted grades are lower than what you are capable of, work hard and prove them wrong. Believe me there is no better feeling than proving the school wrong. It is a big f**k you to everyone.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
If it's something you have to use to apply somewhere, I'd be worried too. Otherwise don't sweat too much about it :smile:

Things can get unfair unfortunately :frown:
Reply 4
so what... you will still get the grades you deserve ( from examiner) e.g. I was predicted to get merit in ECDL and I got distinction in it
Reply 5
Original post by lmalik22
so what... you will still get the grades you deserve ( from examiner) e.g. I was predicted to get merit in ECDL and I got distinction in it

I don't think you understand (: Some universities will reject you simply because your predicted grades are lower than the entry requirements. So essentially, I might get no offers. So it does matter.
Reply 6
Original post by Nadia19962
I was in the same place as you. My school predicted grades lower than what I was capable of and I managed to prove them wrong and got higher. They said I would never get into uni and yet again I have proved them wrong and now am doing an undergraduate degree in economics.

From what I understood from school, gcse’s are predicated from when you have at your year 6 SATs and tests throughout KS3. In some subjects, end of year 9 tests can determine what grade you are predicted in gcse. But sometimes being a teachers pet can lead you to have a higher predicted grade, which is what happend to some people back when I was at school.

If your predicted grades are lower than what you are capable of, work hard and prove them wrong. Believe me there is no better feeling than proving the school wrong. It is a big f**k you to everyone.

I totally agree with you! Glad you got to prove them wrong! (: Sadly my predictions will effect what uni I go to
Reply 7
Original post by wifd149
If it's something you have to use to apply somewhere, I'd be worried too. Otherwise don't sweat too much about it :smile:

Things can get unfair unfortunately :frown:

Sadly it is something which does directly affect me, it is quite unfair lmao
I would protest to administration. On the whole, most schools will predict optimistically. If you explain that you need xyz grades for the unis you’re applying to, and could realistically achieve those grades (mocks and tests as evidence), any reasonable teacher would guve you those predictions.
I really can’t see any benefit for the school to them predicting low, as uni application stats affect their reputation.
Reply 9
Original post by SorcerousSheep
I would protest to administration. On the whole, most schools will predict optimistically. If you explain that you need xyz grades for the unis you’re applying to, and could realistically achieve those grades (mocks and tests as evidence), any reasonable teacher would guve you those predictions.
I really can’t see any benefit for the school to them predicting low, as uni application stats affect their reputation.

I agree with you! It's a good point, but for example: if I got C/Bs/low As do you think it's good evidence? It does show that I'm improving in my mocks, so would that count as good evidence?
Thanks for your comment!
What are you being predicted and what do you need?
Original post by SorcerousSheep
What are you being predicted and what do you need?

Currently predicted ABB, and I need AAA. I'm afraid that I'll get predicted even lower than ABB though
Original post by Anonymous
*I know it's on the wrong thread, wanted to be anonymous*

My schools is giving everyone terribly low predicted grades; like my friend who got As throughout the year got a B?

Our predicted grades are either the same as what we got in our mocks, or lower? Can a school do this? I haven't gotten my official predicted grades yet, but I'm really afraid they'll be lower than what I need.

Any advice? What should i do? How does other schools predict grades?

Well if it was mocks where an A* was available you shouldnt expect one more than you got but definetely not 1 lower. If it gets to a bad point just get your parents to complain and it will probably work
Original post by steveeem
Well if it was mocks where an A* was available you shouldnt expect one more than you got but definetely not 1 lower. If it gets to a bad point just get your parents to complain and it will probably work

Good point, getting my parents in will be my back up plan, thanks for your help! (:
Original post by Anonymous
I agree with you! It's a good point, but for example: if I got C/Bs/low As do you think it's good evidence? It does show that I'm improving in my mocks, so would that count as good evidence?
Thanks for your comment!

My school predicts low as well, but in comparison to other students my one is "upped" because I am normally that one student that always answers the teacher's questions and ask for help in the past years I did. Like, for CIE your AS grades is 50% of your final grade, and my A's in AS were in the A* range but two of my teachers predicted just an A. The thing is that, when my AS grades were predicted with mocks better than yours, it was low too, i.e in four exam series for a subject I had 3A's and a B, then my predicted was a C.

Another thing: my school thinks mocks isn't the best indicator because it is basically past year questions, there are people that knows majority of the answers. Perhaps showing changes in performance on a daily basis will help? That's what my teachers' decisions are based on.
Original post by wifd149
My school predicts low as well, but in comparison to other students my one is "upped" because I am normally that one student that always answers the teacher's questions and ask for help in the past years I did. Like, for CIE your AS grades is 50% of your final grade, and my A's in AS were in the A* range but two of my teachers predicted just an A. The thing is that, when my AS grades were predicted with mocks better than yours, it was low too, i.e in four exam series for a subject I had 3A's and a B, then my predicted was a C.

Another thing: my school thinks mocks isn't the best indicator because it is basically past year questions, there are people that knows majority of the answers. Perhaps showing changes in performance on a daily basis will help? That's what my teachers' decisions are based on.

That's good advice, I'll try that out, Thank you!
ok my bad

Quick Reply

Latest