The Student Room Group

Am I too tall (I'm a girl)

Okay so I'm now 16 and I'm female and I'm nearly 5'10 (and still growing), I'm probably about 5'9 and a half atm but I think I'll probably end upb5'10. My question is, am I too tall to the point where boys will not like me? I know it's totally subjective but I'm asking on average. I've always been tall for my age and lots of my family is quite tall. Considering the average female is like 5'5 I am quite tall for a girl, I am more similar to the height of an average man.

Scroll to see replies

well the average height for a girl is 5ft 4" in the UK and 5ft 10" for a bloke (which make u average height for a guy ) so u might be too tall for half of all men in the UK currently, but if u keep growing this could be a real issue for u tbh, i mean i'm 5ft 6" and there's no way in hell i'd date a chick whose 5ft 10" but i know a few guys shorter than me that wouldn't mind or may even prefer it. In general tho i'd say most guys don't like dating girls taller than them and prefer them to be shorter.

Also i'm pretty sure guys who are really tall don't mind at all, i was just talking to kid on here who was worried about being 6ft 4", i'm pretty sure he won't mind lol.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
Okay so I'm now 16 and I'm female and I'm nearly 5'10 (and still growing), I'm probably about 5'9 and a half atm but I think I'll probably end upb5'10. My question is, am I too tall to the point where boys will not like me? I know it's totally subjective but I'm asking on average. I've always been tall for my age and lots of my family is quite tall. Considering the average female is like 5'5 I am quite tall for a girl, I am more similar to the height of an average man.

believe me nobody cares
I've got a friend who's pretty tall, I think about that height and tbh I feel like she gets a lot of attention almost because of it. She really stands out when she's walking down a street. It depends on the guy - some men will obviously be taller than you or some will be smaller and won't care.
Reply 4
On average most guys wouldn’t date girls as tall as or taller than themselves. But there is a large proportion of us who just don’t care, as well a smaller but not negligible proportion of us who would prefer a girl taller than themselves.
Hell nah. Trust me if a guy rejects you just because he thinks your abit tall, then hes defo not the right guy for u init. Dont feel like your too tall or anything, just be you, you dont need to make yourself look different for guys to notice you. And if anything, concentrate on GCSEs, not boys lmao (im guyessing your doing them this year from the fact your 16 lmaooo)
I think that being tall would be really handy; I'm about 5'5, and my boyfriend is a good 6 foot; it' can be a bit difficult at times, so I would say that you should try to learn to appreciate what you have. You're probably the perfect height to be a model- learn to love it! And also remember that if a boy/man isn't interested in being with you just because of your height, then he genuinely isn't worth being with, and may not be able to care/ l*ve you like you deserve to be cared for/ l*ved. Hope this was helpful, and cheer up, yeah ? :rolleyes:
For the average guy of 5'10, then probably yes and that being if only the guy minds the same height thing (then you shouldn't bother with them in the first place). But is it really a serious problem? I'd say no.
You’re as tall as me :smile:
Oh wait, I’m a guy though :redface:
No, but you're too young.
I'm 14 and I'm 4'10. I'm pretty short i think

Oh gosh, yes - totally. The best thing to do will be to make an appointment with your GP and ask him if he can resect your legs to the knee, thus making your more of an 'acceptable' height. Hopefully, he'll be able to save the joint.
Original post by ShanePotticary14
Hell nah. Trust me if a guy rejects you just because he thinks your abit tall, then hes defo not the right guy for u init. Dont feel like your too tall or anything, just be you, you dont need to make yourself look different for guys to notice you. And if anything, concentrate on GCSEs, not boys lmao (im guyessing your doing them this year from the fact your 16 lmaooo)

I've already done them lol I'm in year 12 now
Original post by awkwardshortguy
No, but you're too young.

obvs I'm on about people my age 🙄
Original post by Anonymous
I think that being tall would be really handy; I'm about 5'5, and my boyfriend is a good 6 foot; it' can be a bit difficult at times, so I would say that you should try to learn to appreciate what you have. You're probably the perfect height to be a model- learn to love it! And also remember that if a boy/man isn't interested in being with you just because of your height, then he genuinely isn't worth being with, and may not be able to care/ l*ve you like you deserve to be cared for/ l*ved. Hope this was helpful, and cheer up, yeah ? :rolleyes:

Not sure about the model thing lol but thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by ggghhh111222333
well the average height for a girl is 5ft 4" in the UK and 5ft 10" for a bloke (which make u average height for a guy ) so u might be too tall for half of all men in the UK currently, but if u keep growing this could be a real issue for u tbh, i mean i'm 5ft 6" and there's no way in hell i'd date a chick whose 5ft 10" but i know a few guys shorter than me that wouldn't mind or may even prefer it. In general tho i'd say most guys don't like dating girls taller than them and prefer them to be shorter.

Also i'm pretty sure guys who are really tall don't mind at all, i was just talking to kid on here who was worried about being 6ft 4", i'm pretty sure he won't mind lol.

I think the statistics are kind of out of date tbh because most boys my age at my college are taller than me and people generally get taller as time goes on. I'd say the average for girls my age is about 5'6 and boys probably like 5'11.
obvs I'm on about people my age 🙄

I don't know about other people's taste.
Reply 17
You’re not too anything for a guy. You are who you are and if you’re wanting a healthy relationship one day then the person you’ll end up with won’t care about something so superficial as height. 5ft 10 is a great height and opens up so many sporting opportunities. If you want a meaningful relationship then the things that matter are personality and emotional maturity. If a guy refuses to date you because of something so stupid as height then quite honestly they’re not worth your time.

Obviously people find certain people more attractive than others and that’s not a problem. But if someone explicitly says “I do like you but you’re just too tall” then they’re probably insecure with regards to how they view themselves. A happy relationship is one where both people involved are confident with who they are but ready and willing to change and work on their weaknesses. A guy saying you’re too tall just shows that they view you as being more powerful and they’re uncomfortable with that.
I think the statistics are kind of out of date tbh because most boys my age at my college are taller than me and people generally get taller as time goes on. I'd say the average for girls my age is about 5'6 and boys probably like 5'11.

no that's not quite how stats work, the average height used to be 5 ft 9" and now is 5 ft 10" (just btw), it's gonna take a while before it's 5ft 11", but of course depending on where u r in the UK, the average height for that place may differ from the national average, other places may have an average height of 5ft 8 .etc but the national is 5ft 10".
U can be short and ugly so it depends if youre peng or not. U seen any models that are under 5'9?? Exactly

Quick Reply

Latest