The Student Room Group
Original post by IHaveNoIdea27
How can I tailor my personal statement so that it fits both medicine and biomedical science? since one is more research based while the other focuses more on work experience and what you've learnt from it

Anyone?
Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just tailor it towards medicine, since Biomedical Science courses often get applications for medical applicans who put it down as their fifth choice, and these tend to be very strong candidates.
Original post by notablestrumpet
Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just tailor it towards medicine, since Biomedical Science courses often get applications for medical applicans who put it down as their fifth choice, and these tend to be very strong candidates.

But I'm only applying to 2 unis for medicine and 3 for biomed, would this have an effect on my personal statement?
But I'm only applying to 2 unis for medicine and 3 for biomed, would this have an effect on my personal statement?

They wont know that
Original post by death07/08/17
They wont know that

Right ok this makes a lot more sense. However I'm still confused on what "wider reading" to include. Also, I've written a lot about working as part of the NHS in my ps.

Remember that unis can't see where else you're applying to anyway - so the biomed unis would probably assume that all the other courses you're applying for are medicine. Medicine is so competitive if you didn't completely tailor your personal statement towards it, you'd be at a serious disadvantage for not showing your commitment. It would also probably be more wise to put 4 options for medicine and 1 option for biomed if medicine is what you really want to do to increase your chances of getting an offer, but if you want to give yourself more flexibility later on for course options then I think you should go for what feels right for you :smile: Just don't sweat too much about the personal statement.
Original post by notablestrumpet
Remember that unis can't see where else you're applying to anyway - so the biomed unis would probably assume that all the other courses you're applying for are medicine. Medicine is so competitive if you didn't completely tailor your personal statement towards it, you'd be at a serious disadvantage for not showing your commitment. It would also probably be more wise to put 4 options for medicine and 1 option for biomed if medicine is what you really want to do to increase your chances of getting an offer, but if you want to give yourself more flexibility later on for course options then I think you should go for what feels right for you :smile: Just don't sweat too much about the personal statement.

Thank you for the advice. Initially my plan was to apply to 4 medicine unis but after a disastrous UKCAT I'm now sitting the BMAT. My grades are average for the BMAT unis which is why I stuck with 2 choices.
It's not really advisable to hedge if you're trying to get into medicine. Biomed degrees will accept you with a medicine personal statement; medical schools on the other hand will not be impressed with a non-committal personal statement.
Original post by Democracy
It's not really advisable to hedge if you're trying to get into medicine. Biomed degrees will accept you with a medicine personal statement; medical schools on the other hand will not be impressed with a non-committal personal statement.

Sorry, this will probably sound stupid but I don't really understand what you're trying to say?
Sorry, this will probably sound stupid but I don't really understand what you're trying to say?

You need to be committed to medicine in your personal statement. Medical schools don't want to read a half-baked personal statement.

Biomed degrees are far less competitive and also fully aware that they are often a back up for medical applicants, so they won't be too bothered about reading a medical personal statement.

They mean dont be too vague in your personal statement, Make it 100% medicine otherwise the uni may think you're not 100% committed and reject you straight up
Original post by Democracy
You need to be committed to medicine in your personal statement. Medical schools don't want to read a half-baked personal statement.

Biomed degrees are far less competitive and also fully aware that they are often a back up for medical applicants, so they won't be too bothered about reading a medical personal statement.

Oh, I see. So would you say it's better for me to just write a medicine personal statement?
Oh, I see. So would you say it's better for me to just write a medicine personal statement?

If you're looking to get into medicine, then yes.
omg my plan is the exact same! well 2 foundation med courses and 3 biomed seen as i’ve not for the grades to get into straight med course lol but yeah this post was a lifesaver
Reply 15
How can I tailor my personal statement so that it fits both medicine and biomedical science? since one is more research based while the other focuses more on work experience and what you've learnt from it

Hi, this is an old post but I was wondering how it went? Did you get accepted into medicine? Or are you doing biomed?
Reply 16
Original post by minniexox
omg my plan is the exact same! well 2 foundation med courses and 3 biomed seen as i’ve not for the grades to get into straight med course lol but yeah this post was a lifesaver

Hi, this is an old comment but I was wondering how it went, if you're still active? Did you get into the med courses?
Original post by sorhgv
Hi, this is an old comment but I was wondering how it went, if you're still active? Did you get into the med courses?

These two posters were last online in 2018 and 2019.

This is a very very old thread, and should not have been bumped, a will likely be closed. @_Rusty_

That said the contents of the thread are accurate and info remains the same.
- focus on med in your PS nothing else.
- nobody will know where / what you are applying to. Although clearly something submitted for biomed in early oct rather than Jan will 99.5% of the time be a med application because of the early entry date.
- biomed courses are extremely used to this and won’t bat an eye.

You could be prepared to do a separate Biomed PS in case asked for by any uni but it’s unlikely.

Latest

Trending

Trending