The Student Room Group

How long to prepare for the BMAT?

Are two weeks of INTENSE study sessions enough to do well in the BMAT?
Depend on how smart you are. I don't think that it's enough, given that most people have a month or more of "intense study sessions" and still screw up. But still it is possible.
Reply 2
Original post by Arctic Kitten
Depend on how smart you are. I don't think that it's enough, given that most people have a month or more of "intense study sessions" and still screw up. But still it is possible.

How long do you suggest I study for the BMAT?
Would 3 weeks do?
2 weeks is fine imo. I spent 2 weeks on my ukcat and did my BMAT in September and only spent 2 weeks. It’s not about quantity of practise, rather how effectively you practise.
Reply 4
Original post by tangoboy456
2 weeks is fine imo. I spent 2 weeks on my ukcat and did my BMAT in September and only spent 2 weeks. It’s not about quantity of practise, rather how effectively you practise.

Thank you :”)
I didn’t do too well on the UKCAT despite the fact that I prepared a lot.
I’m hoping I do well on the BMAT because the test seems more tailored to my kind of preparation, unlike the UKCAT.
Did you do well on the BMAT with just two weeks of preparation? And what resources did you use?
Scores:
UKCAT: Avg 703
BMAT: I felt I did pretty well, nothing was particularly hard (found it easier than UKCAT).
Resources: Medify, 700Q BMAT Book, The Ultimate BMAT Question book and a book from Kaplan, also used the free resources from Kaplan (as they are often closest to the actual test).

Hope this helps. If you need any advice/help let me know, though I’m not 100%, I do feel I did well.
Reply 6
Scores:
UKCAT: Avg 703
BMAT: I felt I did pretty well, nothing was particularly hard (found it easier than UKCAT).
Resources: Medify, 700Q BMAT Book, The Ultimate BMAT Question book and a book from Kaplan, also used the free resources from Kaplan (as they are often closest to the actual test).

Hope this helps. If you need any advice/help let me know, though I’m not 100%, I do feel I did well.

Thanks a million :”)
I used Medify for the UKCAT, and I did pretty well in all my mock tests, etc. But unfortunately, I didn’t do too well on my actual exam.
I got-
VR: 470
DM: 650
QR: 630
AR: 600
I’m super disappointed with these marks. I was thinking of applying to one BMAT university and taking the BMAT, just to strengthen my chances of getting into medical school in the UK.
Since I’m and international student, even universities like Keele require me to take the BMAT if I want to apply.
I’m not sure which BMAT university to apply to though.
Eventhough you think you didn’t do well, you did pretty decent, you fall into the 3rd decile, which is the requirement for many unis. I’d advise you to do 2 BMAT and 2 UKCAT unis. (E.g. SGUL,Southampton, Keele, Nottingham)
Reply 8
Eventhough you think you didn’t do well, you did pretty decent, you fall into the 3rd decile, which is the requirement for many unis. I’d advise you to do 2 BMAT and 2 UKCAT unis. (E.g. SGUL,Southampton, Keele, Nottingham)

Thank you :’)
The 2nd decile is 2340 and the 3rd decile is 2420, doesn’t that mean I fall into the 2nd decile though? (I got 2350)
I wasn’t planning on taking the BMAT, but I’m considering it now. The only problem is I’d be able to prepare only for 2-3 weeks before October 31st, because I have my mid terms in school up until the October 12th.
I was thinking of applying to-
Cardiff
Birmingham
Bistrol
But I heard that Birmingham’s cut off for international students who toook the UKCAT, was above 2600 last year.
So I was wondering if I should take the BMAT. I also read the Brighton and Sussex does not require international students to take the BMAT, so is it a good idea for me to apply there?
Yh.. I think I guessed from the top of my head. Thanks. Consider Imperial too. Requirement are AAA though I’m not entirely sure on int. requirements. As for BSMS it’s a good choice.
Reply 10
Yh.. I think I guessed from the top of my head. Thanks. Consider Imperial too. Requirement are AAA though I’m not entirely sure on int. requirements. As for BSMS it’s a good choice.

Thank you so much :”)
Dependant on ur result now would you say 2 weeks is enough to prep for it? I’ve got my retakes just before the BMAT so I wanted to start it then as I’m prepping for UCAT right now
Original post by DoctorAk
Dependant on ur result now would you say 2 weeks is enough to prep for it? I’ve got my retakes just before the BMAT so I wanted to start it then as I’m prepping for UCAT right now

Are you perhaps taking the autumn exams, cause same and my last exam is on 20th October I think.. between that and nov 3? bmat... I’m not sure if that gonna be enough time to prepare... 😕
Original post by Bluerainy
Are you perhaps taking the autumn exams, cause same and my last exam is on 20th October I think.. between that and nov 3? bmat... I’m not sure if that gonna be enough time to prepare... 😕

Hi sorry I didn’t get a notification, my last exam is on the 19th and I have a solid 2 weeks to just prepare for BMAT. I’ve heard it’s doable, I’ve not done it before but kept getting mixed feelings about it. Right now I’m more on the side of doing it since if I don’t do the BMAT and apply to imperial i would probably apply to KCL and QMUL with 640 and band 1 so I’d rather use one of my risk unis more confidentially. Since it’s knowledge based it would probably depend on ur intellect in sciences and essays to some degree? Have u decided yet? I’m having a little bit of a hard time
medify is horrible. it is absolutely nothing like the real exam. 1000x easier. Just to put it in perspective I was scoring 2800-3000 on the mock exams on medify (took 10 of them) and on test day scored 2260.
Reply 15
Original post by Ghanbu2905
medify is horrible. it is absolutely nothing like the real exam. 1000x easier. Just to put it in perspective I was scoring 2800-3000 on the mock exams on medify (took 10 of them) and on test day scored 2260.

why is it si difficult for me now tho I scored 1940 in my mock and this is my 4th week of practise I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending