The Student Room Group

G Suite vs other productivity software

Hi guys,

I am an avid user of Google G suite and I much prefer it to microsoft, can somebody please tell me which universities in the UK use Google G suite for Education? I have googled this and only found 4/5 answers and I am sure there is many more.
Reply 1
Original post by AndrewMc1996
Hi guys,

I am an avid user of Google G suite and I much prefer it to microsoft, can somebody please tell me which universities in the UK use Google G suite for Education? I have googled this and only found 4/5 answers and I am sure there is many more.

Why?

If you can exchange files between G Suite and Microsoft then it makes no significant difference which platform you personally use.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Why?

If you can exchange files between G Suite and Microsoft then it makes no significant difference which platform you personally use.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but I know some universities prefer certain productivity suites which is why I asked the question.
Reply 3
Yes, but I know some universities prefer certain productivity suites which is why I asked the question.

Which ones require you to use Microsoft?

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is why I am asking the question. I did not want a debate I wanted answers. Leeds Beckett, University of York, Bristol, Brighton and Cambridge among a few others currently only use Google G suite in their schools.
Reply 5
This is why I am asking the question. I did not want a debate I wanted answers. Leeds Beckett, University of York, Bristol, Brighton and Cambridge among a few others currently only use Google G suite in their schools.

But do any *only* use Microsoft?

I'm not debating you, I'm asking you if there actually is the problem you perceive there to be.

Oh and Cambridge, for one, offers students a full Microsoft Office license if they want to use it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plus thats a really *****y reason to choose a uni
Original post by niteninja1
Plus thats a really *****y reason to choose a uni

I am not applying for this reason - I am actually currently writing a report on which one is better for business/education. It is easy to find online which ones businesses use. However, this is not the case with Universities - so any help would be appreciated.
But do any *only* use Microsoft?

I'm not debating you, I'm asking you if there actually is the problem you perceive there to be.

Oh and Cambridge, for one, offers students a full Microsoft Office license if they want to use it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have explained to the other gentleman why I have asked this question.
Reply 9
I am not applying for this reason - I am actually currently writing a report on which one is better for business/education. It is easy to find online which ones businesses use. However, this is not the case with Universities - so any help would be appreciated.

I have explained to the other gentleman why I have asked this question.

Ah, so you you are conducting formal research rather than just a personal interest. Is this research for commercial use, or what...?

If you want to conduct a (non-commercial) survey we have a forum for that very purpose:
Student surveys and research

PS. I'm moving this thread there.
(edited 5 years ago)
Ah, so you you are conducting formal research rather than just a personal interest. Is this research for commercial use, or what...?

If you want to conduct a (non-commercial) survey we have a forum for that very purpose:
Student surveys and research

PS. I'm moving this thread there.

Thank you very much. It is my own personal interest as I am considering getting into cloud storage development and/or productivity suite/app development in the future - which is why I am trying to find out which Unis use it - then I can contact them directly.

I have tried dialing different UK unis however hold time is usually 6/7 mins for IT service desk.. I am currently studying, working and working on this myself so I have no time for that.
Reply 11
Thank you very much. It is my own personal interest as I am considering getting into cloud storage development and/or productivity suite/app development in the future - which is why I am trying to find out which Unis use it - then I can contact them directly.

I have tried dialing different UK unis however hold time is usually 6/7 mins for IT service desk.. I am currently studying, working and working on this myself so I have no time for that.

They have email addresses...

Also, you can issue an FOI request via whatdotheyknow
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/body/list/university

But as I said, just because a university supports a platform doesn't mean it's exclusive.

Quick Reply

Latest