The Student Room Group

Is it normal to be single at 26?

I'm almost 30 and never been in a relationship, been single my whole life. I'm worried I will be single for the rest of my life. Is this normal for someone my age?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Define 'Normal'
It's not normal but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it
Normality is often based on expectations of genders. Many are single later in their lives focusing on careers. I'd say no problem :smile:, rather wait for the right one, rather than go out with a trashbag....
Reply 4
Original post by s817
I'm almost 30 and never been in a relationship, been single my whole life. I'm worried I will be single for the rest of my life. Is this normal for someone my age?
26 isn't "almost 30".

Is there a reason why you are single - like you haven't pursued relationships, or something?
Reply 5
Original post by Tootles
26 isn't "almost 30".

Is there a reason why you are single - like you haven't pursued relationships, or something?

I just haven't met anyone yet
Reply 6
Original post by s817
I just haven't met anyone yet
Probably more normal than you think in that case.
tbh based on regression, you not having a girlfriend by the age of 25 is a pretty good predictor of being single till 40. Everyone else is sugar coating, but its not normal

At 40 is probably gets easier because guys your age will have moved on to younger women and you can pick up all the divorcees
Reply 8
Original post by emmataco
tbh based on regression, you not having a girlfriend by the age of 25 is a pretty good predictor of being single till 40.

At 40 is probably gets easier because guys your age will have moved on to younger women and you can pick up all the divorcees

I'm not interested in older men, I want to be with someone around my own age
YOU NEED Tinder to slap you in the face and find you a date BOOM!!! A RELATIONSHIP HAS BEEN FORMED UNLESS YOU DONT FIND A MATCH SO try your best LOVERGIRL OR IF YOUR A LOVERBOY
Original post by s817
I'm not interested in older men, I want to be with someone around my own age

are you female ?

My post assumed you were male.

Also when your 40, they will be the same age as you not older men
Reply 11
Probs
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by s817
Hi, I tried messaging you but it says your storage amount has exceeded or something.

Yes, I had an email about it. I've cleared some space now, so you should be able to get through.
I had a boyfriend when I was younger, but I don't know where the hell my head was at, because it was ridiculous and we shouldn't have been together. I got into my first proper relationship at age 27 and we now live together. You just have to keep living your life, go out and meet new people, but don't place all the focus on getting a relationship. Focus on making yourself happy, and the right person will come along when you least expect it.
I'm 26 and not single. So no it's not 'normal'.
Reply 15
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I had a boyfriend when I was younger, but I don't know where the hell my head was at, because it was ridiculous and we shouldn't have been together. I got into my first proper relationship at age 27 and we now live together. You just have to keep living your life, go out and meet new people, but don't place all the focus on getting a relationship. Focus on making yourself happy, and the right person will come along when you least expect it.

This is what I've been doing for years but I still haven't met no one
OP, in the same boat, but bit younger. Online dating isn't much help either...
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

How did you meet, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Anonymous
OP, in the same boat, but bit younger. Online dating isn't much help either...

How did you meet, if you don't mind me asking?

I don't mind at all! We sort of knew of each other through mutual friends but we had never actually spoken, until one day he was in the pub and came over to speak to some people he knew in our group. He was a bit drunk and was complaining about how he didn't know any single girls and I said well I'm single (as a joke more than anything) and he asked me out there and then. I said no, ask me again when you're sober. At that point, we had never even exchanged message! From before he even left the pub he was messaging me, and we messaged pretty much 24/7 for weeks after before me finally agreeing to go out for a Costa with him. We got on really really well, carried on talking and meeting up, and ended up kissing and decided to date officially. We've been together for almost a year - in a few weeks - and we're still happy and are like best friends as well as boyfriend and girlfriend. I don't know what the future holds, but I know I'm happy right at this moment at least, which is good enough for me!
Don't worry. You are not alone. I know people, including myself, who are single at 26 and never been in a relationship too!
Original post by s817

you are not alone, don't worry. I know people, including myself, who are single at 26 and never been in a relationship!

Quick Reply