The Student Room Group

The Alessey

Hello. I have started my A-Levels on 05/09/2018. My 'study buddy' has ceased communications with me for some reason and I am starting this blog to stay more accountable to my goals. There is no doubt about it!

Update: my accountability partner/ study buddy has come out of their internet sabbatical on 05/10/2018

I would like to study math at Cambridge. However, if I decide to study Physics at university, Oxford is likely to be the most logical choice as I have less interest in other sciences.

The A-Levels that I shall start studying for next year are:
AQA Math
AQA Further Math
AQA Physics
I would like to get A*A*A or higher with the A in Further math.

Here are my GCSE/BETEC results:
English Language - 8
English Literature - 8
Math - 9
Further math - A**
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
History - 9
Business studies - A
BETEC L!/L2 Award in Engineering - D*

I shall try to regularly update this with my short-term goals and with mock results.

I would like to warn the person reading this about the depressing feelings experienced by some of those who have read this blog, and to apologize for the suffering I have brought upon those readers.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The lessons are very boring. I slightly regret doing so much Khan academy outside of school. I am doing some math outside of lessons. Regrettably, I have been getting lazy for the last 3 days and have been only been able to do about 3 hours of work per day which is far below my planned 6 hours and a certain man has topped me in the Latin memorise scoreboard. There is no doubt it: I have dug myself into a hole. There is also no doubt about the fact that there exists a solution to this problem. I am pretty certain that this solution is cold showers. Currently, I am doing 2-3 a day. Those are definitely 'rookie numbers' so I'll have to step that up top 3-4 a day and see how that impacts my laziness.

I am using the specification to revise and aid my study of math and further math. However, I shall be finished the pure math parts of both in about 2 months and am not sure where to go from there. I think I will start doing past papers after that. I'm thinking old C1-4 papers and further pure math papers followed by old further pure math papers. I should be able to think my way out of any details in the old specs that are not covered by the current specifications. I hope the past papers will be available in 2 months time from TSR as they used to be available but now I cannot find any!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
2 showers to go before I hit my target. I printed off the C1-4 papers today and did the first one getting 76% and finishing the paper in 1:10 mainly due to not reading the question properly. I probably should read the question over multiple times before answering. It should take me around 2 hours per paper to do the paper and improve. However, this is very time consuming and does not fit into my regular target of 2 hours per subject. Therefore, I shall be introducing 'test days'. On test days, I will spend the day doing 2 A-level papers and 2 UKMT math challenges or, in November, a timed BMO1 paper. For now, I shall only have 1-2 per week I think. My next test day will be next Wednesday. I have 3 hours of work left today with exactly 3 hours to complete it so I need to hurry up. I think I shall post again tomorrow.
Reply 3
I only got in 1 hour of work in yesterday after I posted. That is not the worst of the news. I just spent 3 hours watching student vlogs, a documentary on spice and a documentary about 'free-runners'. I feel terrible about this. The main reason for this is the fact that I brought the computer that I normally leave in my locker at school home. I will try not to do this anymore for a minimum period of a week. Hopefully, this will lead to greater productivity and mental wellbeing. I still have 4 hours of this day left. There is enough time to make a success of it. So I have enough time to do 3 hours of work (giving me a daily total of five), to go for a run and to take my third cold shower.
Reply 4
22/09/2018

I shall start putting dates on my posts to try to organize things a little more.

I only got 3-4 hours of work done yesterday due to sleep deprivation taking its toll. I just could not concentrate! I need to get more quality sleep. I think this is because I have stopped using my sleep-mask and my inconsistent sleep schedule.

Today was much better than yesterday, I started with high resistance studying such as my BMO problems hour and my Math Methods problems hour and only then attending to easier and less important studying such as Further math revision. Sadly, I got 5 hours of work done which implies that I missed an hour. This hour was my hour of math methods. In addition to this, I only took 2 showers and did not run. So, in general, much more happy with today than with the last day as it is an improvement but I am disappointed with the fact that I did not continue to be productive in the evening.

Tomorrow, I aim to do:

-3 hours of BMO problems
-2 hours of math methods (1 hour reading and 1 hour doing exercises)
-2 hours on my A-level studies: 1 hour of physics and 1 hour of further math

i will do these tasks in that order.
Reply 5
I only did less than an hour of studying in the duration of the weekend! I don't know where all that time went but, karma being karma, I earned a head-splitting headache by the end of that disaster. To cut it short, I have done 3 hours of work today and am going to do 2 more. I'm going to increase my hours to 6 tomorrow.
Reply 6
25/09/2018

4 hours done with 2 more to go. Hopefully, I'll have a run too. I will do 6 hours tomorrow.

Update: I did do the 2 hours but I slacked of in my math methods hour and watched a fermatika video. also my run went very well and I set a new personal best.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
27/09/2018

4-5 hours today but I feel that this was justified by the fact my house was burgled as I was studying. A guy just walked in through the back door and went through my mothers belongings at the bedside as she was sleeping! He stole the cash in her purse and was going through my mother's meds when my sister saw him and he fled. Luckily, it seems he was illiterate and did not manage to steal the morphine. I think I can forgive myself for not been at my peak when it comes to productivity today.
Reply 8
01/10/2018

I've been ill for the past 3 days and I've not been working at all. However, I have decided to take a more laissez-faire approach to how I plan my extracurricular math studies. I will have more 'math frees' and will stud more math methods. This means I will be doing less Olympiad prep for now as I haven't been finding it fun for the past week. That's all.
Original post by Chong Wa
01/10/2018

I've been ill for the past 3 days and I've not been working at all. However, I have decided to take a more laissez-faire approach to how I plan my extracurricular math studies. I will have more 'math frees' and will stud more math methods. This means I will be doing less Olympiad prep for now as I haven't been finding it fun for the past week. That's all.

Hoping you feel better soon! :hugs:
Reply 10
Original post by emilynxlan
Hoping you feel better soon! :hugs:

Thank you, I appreciate the concern.
Reply 11
05/10/2018

I have not been doing a lot of studying beyond my a-levels for the past 2 days as I am trying to change my sleeping habits as I am more of a morning person. Also, I am no longer in bed rest as I have almost completely recovered.
I find this blog entirely, totally and unremittingly depressing. It makes me want to set fire to your work, give you £50 and send you to the pub.
Reply 13
Original post by Reality Check
I find this blog entirely, totally and unremittingly depressing. It makes me want to set fire to your work, give you £50 and send you to the pub.

I get what you are saying. I get that depressing feeling when write this blog. I guess this is my way of getting depressing thoughts out of my system. I'll add a warning to the original post about your experience.
Reply 14
07/10/2018

Very little math done to-day but I am planning on doing 4 hours tomorrow morning. I also have my first Latin class tomorrow so I will have very little time left after supper before i go to bed.
Reply 15
I'm very close to finishing the pure content for a-level math so hopefully I will soon be allowed to do my own work in math lessons.
For this month, I am planning to focus on improving my language skills in the mornings and shall do math only during school-time. I am also begining to meditate which is improving my ability to focus very much and is increasing my enjoyment of life very much. The subject I am concerned about is Physics as i am not getting very good marks on tests and I don't feel very motivated to study physics for some reason. I will do an hour of Physics study tomorrow focusing on the end of the particles section.
Reply 16
25/10/2018

A lot has happened in the last ten days. I have prevented a great academic tragedy from occurring. 'Focusing on language skills' started to consume my life around two days after the last update. I then allowed my mind to justify spending the remainder of my time at college being consumed in this way. Luckily, I had not fully immersed in foreign language materials and I rediscovered my love for math and science especially by starting to read a certain harry potter fan fiction. It is clear that all that is left to do is to formulate an action plan of achievement to any customer of cyber-vision systems.
Reply 17
05/03/2019
https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/8ZugMc4E5959Xh86i/how-i-use-anki-to-learn-mathematics

I think I might start using anki to learn definitions when i start learning math again.
Reply 18
05/03
I should so some kind of MOOC on LaTeX as I will need it to make flashcards.
Reply 19
06/03

Finished reading Birth of a theorem by C. Villani which is a very interesting read but I still don't know what Landau damping is.

I should make physics flashcards as well as math flashcards

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending