The Student Room Group

Spanish A-Level?????

Hey everyone!
So, I'm taking my GCSE this year and I'm not doing spanish (from some bad decisions). But I really want to do spanish for my A-Levels so that I can study at a spanish Uni. I might be moving to an english school in Madrid for my A levels where I can pick up spanish fast.
The problem is that I probably would need Spanish GCSE in order to do A Level Spanish. I do grasp spanish quite easily, and I try my best to speak/learn at home. Should I have a stab at taking the GCSE spanish exam seperatley in 2019? Or should I do it in 2020 and then take my spanish A level during my gap year or something?
is there any chance you'd be able to talk to one of the teachers to see if you can be entered for gcse spanish (2019??) or do you think you need a bit longer to learn the spec?
Reply 2
Original post by entertainmyfaith
is there any chance you'd be able to talk to one of the teachers to see if you can be entered for gcse spanish (2019??) or do you think you need a bit longer to learn the spec?

I think i'd need longer to learn the spec. But would there be any point in having a stab at it anyway?
Original post by W3BBY
I think i'd need longer to learn the spec. But would there be any point in having a stab at it anyway?

there might be, though there may be a chance that if you're proficient enough at spanish you can do the a-level without the gcse; maybe talk to your language teachers for advice- eg. could you do the a-level without doing the gcse? doing the a-level in your gap year doesn't sound like a bad idea though.
Reply 4
Most modern language courses at uni allow you to take a language ab initio (from scratch), and this could be Spanish for you. However you would need an A level in another language as you generally do two languages, with one being post-A Level.
Reply 5
Original post by entertainmyfaith
there might be, though there may be a chance that if you're proficient enough at spanish you can do the a-level without the gcse; maybe talk to your language teachers for advice- eg. could you do the a-level without doing the gcse? doing the a-level in your gap year doesn't sound like a bad idea though.

Thanks for the advice. Ill do the GCSE if i need to.
Reply 6
Original post by Trillo
Most modern language courses at uni allow you to take a language ab initio (from scratch), and this could be Spanish for you. However you would need an A level in another language as you generally do two languages, with one being post-A Level.

oh. I don't want to do modern language in uni. I would just like to study Bio in a spanish uni (so probably in spanish)
Reply 7
Original post by W3BBY
oh. I don't want to do modern language in uni. I would just like to study Bio in a spanish uni (so probably in spanish)
Oh my bad I didn't read your post very carefully, sorry.
Reply 8
Original post by Trillo
Oh my bad I didn't read your post very carefully, sorry.

No problem
Hi! Hope your studies are going well!

If you’re still looking to learn Spanish (and have a basic knowledge of Spanish) I’m a Spanish online tutor - im doing Modern Languages at uni at the moment and would love to help if it’s something you’re looking for! Happy to help with grammar / oral skills etc!

Here’s a link to my online space if you’d like to get in touch - www.mytutor.co.uk/tutors/159082/

Good luck with your other subjects x
Hi! I'm a student from Barcelona, and even though I can't really give you the advice you need, I just want to tell you some things you might find in Spain so you'll be ready. Your Spanish should be really good to study a science degree here (as it is the same as studying abroad in foreign countries). You might find that your classmates (or people your age) are far more fluent in English than your teachers will be, as we are not a country known for being fluent in English (that might sound unimportant now, but if you are not very fluent in Spanish you might find it very difficult to communicate with some teachers). Some tips to improve your Spanish are that you watch a lot of movies or tv shows in that language (it helped me a ton in English) and when you are more fluent you can start watching the news or listening to the radio, even reading the newspaper. These might not sound very serious, but in my case, I've found that I learned far more using this method than attending an academy. I wish you the best of luck and if you have any questions regarding the process of applying to Spanish universities (which is what all of my friends are doing now) you are more than welcome to ask them!
Original post by W3BBY
Original post by W3BBY
Hey everyone!
So, I'm taking my GCSE this year and I'm not doing spanish (from some bad decisions). But I really want to do spanish for my A-Levels so that I can study at a spanish Uni. I might be moving to an english school in Madrid for my A levels where I can pick up spanish fast.
The problem is that I probably would need Spanish GCSE in order to do A Level Spanish. I do grasp spanish quite easily, and I try my best to speak/learn at home. Should I have a stab at taking the GCSE spanish exam seperatley in 2019? Or should I do it in 2020 and then take my spanish A level during my gap year or something?

I speak dutch at home at took GCSE Dutch outside of school without any proper teaching and I got an A* so it’s worth a shot

Quick Reply

Latest