The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine 2019 Entry Applicants official thread

Hey guys,

Thought this would be a nice place for everyone who is interested in applying to UCL for medicine - 2019 entry.
Perhaps discuss what people are gonna do for their applications, volunteering, BMAT, interviews and so on :smile:
Lets help everyone out!

Love carrotmuncher xx

Scroll to see replies

My profile so far is:
GCSE:
9,8,8 8A*s and an A
A Level:
Predicted- A*,A*,A*,A/A*
Work Experience:
3 days in a hospital with an anaesthetist and I got to see things like kidney removal and gastric bypass as well as seeing like 10 patient consultations and talking to some of the nurses, junior doctors and surgeons as to why they did Medicine. Also got some patient contact as I was left alone for a bit with some in the recovery room so decided to chat with them and stuff. Overall, it was an amazing experience and I managed to write five full sides of what I had learnt from it so I think thats plenty
Volunteering:
Been volunteering weekly (and in the holidays) with Mencap for 6 months where I have to care for one child for 3 hours a week- once again plenty to write about here and its really fun to watch them be happy and run around and stuff.
2 years as a dance leader- this was something I started in Year 10 and I went down to schools for 2 hours fortnightly where me and some others had to lead a group of 30 year 1s/4s for 2 hours and teach them dance- I also got a level one qualification from this.
Extra Curricular:
House Captain
Dance
Athletics/ Badminton
Read some medicine books- Complications, Do no Harm, This is going to hurt (planning to read the last two in the summer)
Maths Challenge Bronze
Chemistry Olympiad Bronze
NCS- although this is not worth talking about on the PS
Mentoring younger students- helping year 7s with maths/ yr 10s with GCSE advice
MOOCs- I am currently doing one on thermodynamics and am due to start one on the brain and climate change
EPQ- I have nearly finished my EPQ on the MMR controversy
I have some life guard training so know how to do stuff like CPR and rescuing people from water and stuff- this was only like for 9 months so not that much memory left- except CPR which we did almost every week
Give presentations at Medsoc
Admissions test:
I have started the UKCAT preparation from Medify and have been getting like high 70s and 80s for the sections
BMAT- I've done some papers just to get a feel for it and got 4.3 for the science section without revision and like 3.9-4.3 for S1
I'd say that the admissions tests do not seem as bad as they did once I had started and I'm glad I started early because I now know how to answer questions and what to look for so I no longer have to bother with the technique and just have to focus on speed.

Yeah, thats about it so far
Reply 2
Original post by Samanthaplague
My profile so far is:
GCSE:
9,8,8 8A*s and an A
A Level:
Predicted- A*,A*,A*,A/A*
Work Experience:
3 days in a hospital with an anaesthetist and I got to see things like kidney removal and gastric bypass as well as seeing like 10 patient consultations and talking to some of the nurses, junior doctors and surgeons as to why they did Medicine. Also got some patient contact as I was left alone for a bit with some in the recovery room so decided to chat with them and stuff. Overall, it was an amazing experience and I managed to write five full sides of what I had learnt from it so I think thats plenty
Volunteering:
Been volunteering weekly (and in the holidays) with Mencap for 6 months where I have to care for one child for 3 hours a week- once again plenty to write about here and its really fun to watch them be happy and run around and stuff.
2 years as a dance leader- this was something I started in Year 10 and I went down to schools for 2 hours fortnightly where me and some others had to lead a group of 30 year 1s/4s for 2 hours and teach them dance- I also got a level one qualification from this.
Extra Curricular:
House Captain
Dance
Athletics/ Badminton
Read some medicine books- Complications, Do no Harm, This is going to hurt (planning to read the last two in the summer)
Maths Challenge Bronze
Chemistry Olympiad Bronze
NCS- although this is not worth talking about on the PS
Mentoring younger students- helping year 7s with maths/ yr 10s with GCSE advice
MOOCs- I am currently doing one on thermodynamics and am due to start one on the brain and climate change
EPQ- I have nearly finished my EPQ on the MMR controversy
I have some life guard training so know how to do stuff like CPR and rescuing people from water and stuff- this was only like for 9 months so not that much memory left- except CPR which we did almost every week
Give presentations at Medsoc
Admissions test:
I have started the UKCAT preparation from Medify and have been getting like high 70s and 80s for the sections
BMAT- I've done some papers just to get a feel for it and got 4.3 for the science section without revision and like 3.9-4.3 for S1
I'd say that the admissions tests do not seem as bad as they did once I had started and I'm glad I started early because I now know how to answer questions and what to look for so I no longer have to bother with the technique and just have to focus on speed.

Yeah, thats about it so far

thankxxxxxx
Is it possible to apply to medicine to UCL with a French Baccalaureat ? If the answer is yes, what is the entry requierement?
Hey my names Ben looking to apply to UCL currently on GAP year.

They do not look at GCSE's as long as you pass the minimum threshold thus those stats are irrelevant. I received my A levels of A*,A ,A. Just done the UKCAT with score of 658 Band 2 :/. Sitting BMAT this October 31st. Starting revision now alongside personal statement (left this a tad late but can build of last years one). I feel i need to really nail this BMAT due to my application appearing a tad borderline as i have not done an EPQ or any outside research project.

Done 2 weeks of hospital work experience rotation (from porters to surgeons etc) and 6 weeks on cardiac rehabilitation center and other stuff like helping run fitness classes at my gym, Tesco customer assistant job(currently) , waiter job, chief job, peer mentoring at sixth form, BMA conference. reading **** ton of medicine books. Just need to decide what to put in my personal statement really and more importantly what i learned from it and how it relates to medicine thus making me appear a good doctor. Any advice >
I haven’t done an EPQ as we don’t get offered it at my school and I missed out on an opportunity to write an essay for an internal essay competition due to personal reasons. However I have done 2 MOOCs, on Vital signs and psychiatry. Would this be enough in terms of self directed learning?
Looking to apply to UCL

GCSEs: 10A*s, 1 A (German)
A-Level predictions: A*, A*, A
EPQ: no grade as yet
BMAT: taking in October
Work experience: 3 days in hospital, local charity volunteering with disabled children, NHS Foundation Trust volunteering with the elderly. Family business - various tasks, flu jab clinic, stable yard management
Extra curricular: Biology year prize, 1st in school essay competition, Cambridge masterclass, cricket, horse riding, school choir
Reply 8
Hi, I am a uk candidate with 13 A* at gcse and predicted 3A* for A level. I have done volunteering in hospital for 6 months, volunteered in teaching maths to younger pupils, taught dance for 1year to children, 2x GP work experiences and 2 x 1 week hospital placements in plastics, ent, AMU and pathology. Not yet done BMAT, hobbies- grade 7 violin, grade 7 piano, grade 8 drama, member of school choir and orchestra and participated in various festivals and musicals. Done gold DofE
What is my success chance for UCL? I have also done 2x MOOCS and read a couple of books
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Mvatve
Hi, I am a uk candidate with 13 A* at gcse and predicted 3A* for A level. I have done volunteering in hospital for 6 months, volunteered in teaching maths to younger pupils, taught dance for 1year to children, 2x GP work experiences and 2 x 1 week hospital placements in plastics, ent, AMU and pathology. Not yet done BMAT, hobbies- grade 7 violin, grade 7 piano, grade 8 drama, member of school choir and orchestra and participated in various festivals and musicals. Done gold DofE
What is my success chance for UCL? I have also done 2x MOOCS and read a couple of books

no, you need at least 15A* GCSE and 4A* predicted a level, and if you don't have a piano diploma dont even think about applying

just kidding m8, if you PS is good and your BMAT is average you'll get an interview. UCL has a holistic approach so they look at everything, so your GCSES will help a lot.
Yo nerds i was not playing:

[We would be able to consider your application if you are taking GCSE resits. If you are resitting English Language or Mathematics to improve the grade to meet our requirements, please note that we would need a grade B and we would look at your predicted grade for the resit.

GCSEs are not ranked as part of our selection process. We require candidates to have grade B in Maths and English Language (or be resitting) for us to be able to consider their application.]

Official reply from UCL admissions team, they don't give 2 shits about your GCSE's as long as they pass the minimum grade, and even then they do not look at GCSE resits in your GAP year at a disadvantage. English Language is my problem only C i got :/ I feel this approach from UCL is super fair because i had no idea in the slightest what the hell i was doing at GCSE's apart from playing video games and football <3. For reference i got 2A*,4A ,3B and C. (meh) and A*,A,A at A level.

Your welcome.
Reply 11
I have got 9A* and 2A and A*AA predicted and 5.4,5.4 and 3A in my bmat, looking for UCL, but havnt done any self studies like EPQ but done loads of work experience. Is it worth applying for UCL.
Original post by sinkar
I have got 9A* and 2A and A*AA predicted and 5.4,5.4 and 3A in my bmat, looking for UCL, but havnt done any self studies like EPQ but done loads of work experience. Is it worth applying for UCL.

Last year the average bmat score for offer holders was 5.1 5.3 3.5A and you’re GCSEs would comfortably meet the requirements. EPQ is helpful but probably won’t make or break an application so don’t be too concerned. UCL consider applications holistically and so provided other aspects of your application are sound, it seems sensible to apply
Reply 13
Would appreciate, if you could use the below format for your stats:

Home/International: Home
Home Deferred?: No
GCSE: 9A* 2A
A Level Prediction: A*A*A
EPQ: No
BMAT : 5.4 / 5.4 / 3.0A
Work Experience/Volunteering: A lot
Extra Curricular: Grade 6 Piano etc
Hey, I've considered UCL as one of my options!
Home/International: Home
Deferred: No
GCSE: 7A* 5A
A level predictions: A*AA
BMAT: 4.4 / 5.7 / 4.5A (October)
Work experience: enough
Extra curricular: Piano Grade 8, St John Ambulance, dancing, working with disabled children, MOOC's, BMJ..etc
(edited 5 years ago)
Home/International: International
GCSE: 9A* (only did 9)
A Level Prediction: A*A*A*A*
BMAT : 5.9/6.4/4A
Work Experience/Volunteering: 1 week shadowing, primary school volunteering, 1 year taekwondo teaching assistant
Extra Curricular: Grade 8 Piano, Grade 6 Music Theory, 3 years school orchestra, Participated in World’s Scholar’s Cup Competition, Taekwondo etc.

Praying my BMAT is good enough compared to other internationals applying
Reply 16
Original post by itstheboss
Home/International: International
GCSE: 9A* (only did 9)
A Level Prediction: A*A*A*A*
BMAT : 5.9/6.4/4A
Work Experience/Volunteering: 1 week shadowing, primary school volunteering, 1 year taekwondo teaching assistant
Extra Curricular: Grade 8 Piano, Grade 6 Music Theory, 3 years school orchestra, Participated in World’s Scholar’s Cup Competition, Taekwondo etc.

Praying my BMAT is good enough compared to other internationals applying

Those are impressive grades.....you'll definitely get an interview.

Hopefully this will of value a few weeks down the line...

UCL Medicine Interview Questions
Original post by rd1709
Those are impressive grades.....you'll definitely get an interview.

Hopefully this will of value a few weeks down the line...

UCL Medicine Interview Questions

Thank you so much! And best of luck to you :smile:
Hi, I am predicted AAA for my alevels, but UCL says the entry requirements in A*AA, does that mean I can't make it there? Or can I still apply?
Original post by Jakir
Hey, current first year UCL medic here. Would highly recommed for you to sign up to the UCL BMAT and mock interview courses - they're all max. 20 pounds, and it's all donated to charity. Just google UCL Futuremed
Good luck everyone

I've already signed up to the BMAT course for next week, how useful is it?

Latest

Trending

Trending