The Student Room Group

applying for university but its complicated...

I was born here in the UK but went abroad for 2 years to Africa at the end of year 9. I did my y10 and y11 abroad and so i did 6 IGCSEs (which are equivalent to GCSEs). I got 5A* 1A . I returned back to the UK when i was starting y12 and I'm currently in sixth form, in y13. I want to know how i can use the fact that I've been living abroad for 2 years in Africa and incorporate it into my personal statement to my advantage.
I went through a similar thing but with a country in Asia. I know this is unrelated, but you have to pay international fees- I just realised. But anyway, I did incorporate my moving experiences into my personal statement- and it worked especially well for me because I'm applying for geography at uni. You can definitely use it to your advantage. It makes you a unique applicant.
Original post by juicyapples
I went through a similar thing but with a country in Asia. I know this is unrelated, but you have to pay international fees- I just realised. But anyway, I did incorporate my moving experiences into my personal statement- and it worked especially well for me because I'm applying for geography at uni. You can definitely use it to your advantage. It makes you a unique applicant.

Thank you so much for your feedback. Do you have any examples of ways i could include my experience?
Original post by totallynotstress
Thank you so much for your feedback. Do you have any examples of ways i could include my experience?

I tried to incorporate my experience into what sparked my interest in the subject. For example, I mentioned that how in China I was shocked by the environmental differences and knew that something had to change and the urbanisation and development of it as well as having one of the largest urbanisation movements in the world that I had witnessed and how this sparked my interest in geography. You could also say that you've been interested in let's say economics for an example, and how witnessing China's economic boom and it's growth to the second largest economy in the world further introduced you to ideas or mesmerised you. That kind of thing I'd say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending