The Student Room Group

I'm a newly qualified Dentist. AMA.

Good evening. Fire away.

Scroll to see replies

How did you look for work experience and what types of things did you do? I have emailed over 45+ places and only heard back from about 10 who said that they don't offer anything....
Reply 2
Original post by elucidation123
How did you look for work experience and what types of things did you do? I have emailed over 45+ places and only heard back from about 10 who said that they don't offer anything....

I google searched dentists near me and called every single one within a 10 mile radius aha.

I did work experience in GDP, Ortho, Oral Surgery and Maxfax.

Where are you from? I may be able to make a few phone calls and help you out.
Reply 3
Great... any news on screw in implants? Dentist tells me I am beyond a crown.
How's your oral hygiene? :holmes:
Reply 5
Original post by Vinny C
Great... any news on screw in implants? Dentist tells me I am beyond a crown.

I don't quite understand your question... if you're asking about implants, yes they are an option for replacing lost teeth.. expensive though.
Original post by RDKGames

Quite good to be fair, I do everything I advise my patients to do, minus the flossing. I can't floss because I have bonded retainers.
Where did you qualify from? I’ve just started Dental Hygiene and Therapy course at QMUL!
Join the club :smile: just finished DFT, what scheme are you in?
What did you get in your A Levels ? and how does one get an A in A Level Chemistry
Reply 9
What did u get for GCSE and which uni did u go to
Reply 10
And what do u recommend doing to boost chances of getting accepted to do dentistry
Original post by DrTSR
Quite good to be fair, I do everything I advise my patients to do, minus the flossing. I can't floss because I have bonded retainers.

Ah good, a part of me was hoping for some irony :biggrin:

Though I’d like to ask some more based my recent dental experience :smile:
In the past 3 or 4 weeks I’ve had a tooth removed (upper left, second from the back) and a week later I had fillings done. What I’ve noticed is that the tooth extraction went and felt a whole lot smoother than the fillings (less pain, and anaesthetic felt weaker tol) which is quite the opposite from what I expected. Is an extraction a whole lot simpler and poses less pain than a filling in general??
Also, during my extraction, a part of the tooth broke off mid extraction while being rocked back and forth (a very small bit of a root, few millimetres) and my dentist says it doesnt pose risk so it was left in there and may grow out over 10 years as a small tooth. Does this happen commonly? Will the tooth feel weak when it grows out? Anything I should look out for?

Is good but after 60 yrs some are more filling than tooth.
Reply 13
Original post by Icecreamroses43
Where did you qualify from? I’ve just started Dental Hygiene and Therapy course at QMUL!

I qualified from Peninsula Dental. Good luck! Enjoy your time at QMUL, they have a new dental school recently built.
Reply 14
Original post by Jenniferann232
Join the club :smile: just finished DFT, what scheme are you in?

Oh nice! I'm in the Dorset and Wiltshire scheme. How about you?
Reply 15
Original post by emmataco
What did you get in your A Levels ? and how does one get an A in A Level Chemistry

A's.

You get an A in A-level Chemistry by smashing all the modules before the last module to compensate for the poor grade in the last module, as the last module is a myth.
Original post by AbdulMZ
What did u get for GCSE and which uni did u go to

3A*'s 5A's 2B's. See previous reply for uni.
Original post by AbdulMZ
And what do u recommend doing to boost chances of getting accepted to do dentistry

Get good grades and smash the interview.
how much u get a year
Reply 17
Ah good, a part of me was hoping for some irony :biggrin:

Though I’d like to ask some more based my recent dental experience :smile:
In the past 3 or 4 weeks I’ve had a tooth removed (upper left, second from the back) and a week later I had fillings done. What I’ve noticed is that the tooth extraction went and felt a whole lot smoother than the fillings (less pain, and anaesthetic felt weaker tol) which is quite the opposite from what I expected. Is an extraction a whole lot simpler and poses less pain than a filling in general??
Also, during my extraction, a part of the tooth broke off mid extraction while being rocked back and forth (a very small bit of a root, few millimetres) and my dentist says it doesnt pose risk so it was left in there and may grow out over 10 years as a small tooth. Does this happen commonly? Will the tooth feel weak when it grows out? Anything I should look out for?

Having a filling done can feel a bit strange, lots of vibrations in your head. But the process should generally be pain free, so should an extraction. Perhaps you weren't entirely numb in the teeth you had fillings on, so it was a bit sensitive.

It isn't common to have some part of tooth left behind in the bone, but it isn't rare either. Usually, it poses no risk, and can over the years work its way up and out of your gum. Rarely, it can lead to an infection, but this only usually happens if the tooth was infected pre-extraction; I wouldn't worry about it.

Look out for any bumps in your gum that may appear over time, may suggest the root is making it's way out.. If you get any pain in the area of the extraction, it may be from the remaining bit of root left.
Reply 18
Original post by Gent2324
how much u get a year

In DF1 year, every DF1 dentist gets salaried and gets the same income. You can google this amount. It's a fixed £31,356.
Reply 19
Oh and by the way, sorry about the late replies, was away.

Quick Reply

Latest