The Student Room Group

Psychology of aggression

Hello,

What are your opinions on the psychology of aggression? Any useful books that you would recommend on this topic?

Kind regards,
Chad
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Horner94
Hello,

What are your opinions on the psychology of aggression? Any useful books that you would recommend on this topic?

Kind regards,
Chad

Moved to Study Help :smile:
Majority of it is **** upbringing, already being predisposed to it. Unless you believe in the warrior gene, however, some people are genuinely more prone to losing it than others, so guess it's the nature-nurture debate.
Reply 3
Original post by random_matt
Majority of it is **** upbringing, already being predisposed to it. Unless you believe in the warrior gene, however, some people are genuinely more prone to losing it than others, so guess it's the nature-nurture debate.
Hello, thanks very much for your response. Yes, I believe people that come from dysfunctional families are more likely to have learned that behaviour and repeat it when in adulthood. However, do you believe that with effective treatment that aggressive behaviour can be controlled and therefore less likely to occur again?
Hello, thanks very much for your response. Yes, I believe people that come from dysfunctional families are more likely to have learned that behaviour and repeat it when in adulthood. However, do you believe that with effective treatment that aggressive behaviour can be controlled and therefore less likely to occur again?

Well yes, plenty of old school studies have shown this, as have checking through backgrounds of serial killers. And yes, aggression can be controlled, dependent of person I guess. However, even if you evolve or restrict your impulsiveness, your disposition will always be latent, ready to be triggered by whatever stimuli out there.
Reply 5
Original post by random_matt
Well yes, plenty of old school studies have shown this, as have checking through backgrounds of serial killers. And yes, aggression can be controlled, dependent of person I guess. However, even if you evolve or restrict your impulsiveness, your disposition will always be latent, ready to be triggered by whatever stimuli out there.

Thanks very much for your response. What kind if stimuli do you mean?

Kind regards,
Chad
Thanks very much for your response. What kind if stimuli do you mean?

Kind regards,
Chad

Can be absolutely anything.
Reply 7
Hello, many scientists nowadays believe that adolescents are more likely to behave aggressively due to influences from testosterone and also the environment. I want to know if you agree with these as contributing factors?

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,
Chad
Is this homework?
Reply 9
Not really, I'm just asking for opinions because oftentimes science takes U-turns and Eureka - a new hypothesis! :biggrin:

Kind regards,
Chad
Ones disposition is always in conflict with the environment.
There must be some genetic factors at play but imo it’s overwhelmingly the type of environment they were raised in which affects their aggression level the most. Being exposed to verbal/physical abuse early as well as constant criticism/reinforced feelings on inferiority hasn’t worked out well for most of the people I know.
Reply 12
Hello, many scientists nowadays believe that adolescents are more likely to behave aggressively due to influences from testosterone and also the environment. I want to know if you agree with these as contributing factors?

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,
Chad

What is your reason for asking the question? Are you writing an essay on it?
Reply 13
Original post by lyra777
What is your reason for asking the question? Are you writing an essay on it?
I am just interested in finding out what peoples' opinions are regarding this hypothesis.

Kind regards,
Chad

Quick Reply

Latest