The Student Room Group

ENGAA Prep Thread 2018

Welcome to the ENGAA prep thread. This is the place to discuss, post problems, or ask any questions you may have regarding the exam!

What is ENGAA?

ENGAA is a pre-interview written assessment for Engineering required by the University of Cambridge.

Date

Registration deadline: 15 October
Exam: 31 October, 2018

Assessment Format

Section 1: Maths and Physics MCQs (80 minutes)

Section 2: Approximately 20 MCQs covering Maths and Physics

Registration

You can find the details here.

Specification and Past Papers

You can find it here.

Other Resources

Since Cambridge is the only university requiring ENGAA, there are very few people preparing for it. If you know anyone preparing for it or has prepared for it in the past, please tag them here.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys. Took the for my ENGAA for my admission last year. Here to help if needed.
Original post by MathsGod100
Hi guys. Took the for my ENGAA for my admission last year. Here to help if needed.

So how many questions did you answer?

Was it all just year 1 maths and physics questions?

What was the hardest question that came up?

How did you revise for it?

How did the interview go in comparison?
I also did it last year. But I was rejected so I am going to reapply since I got A*A*A*A*AB + A* EPQ in my a levels!

EngAA was super hard (for me), but im gonna seriously prepare well this time. I asked for the average scores of 2017 engaa takers for anyone who is interested:
-------------------------------------------------------Mean - all applicants ---Mean - offer-holders

Maths &Physics (raw) ---------------------------------19.1 --------------------------22.6

Section 1 Ad Maths & Physics (raw) --------------11.0 --------------------------14.9

Section 1 Maths & Physics (reported) -------------5.3 ----------------------------6.9

Section 1 Ad Maths & Physics (reported) --------4.8 ----------------------------6.6

Section 2 Revised Mark ( /38) ----------------------25.0 ---------------------------30.1

Section 2 Revised Mark (%) ------------------------65.9% ------------------------79.2%
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Also, for section 2, I found "show your reasoning in the space provided below". Is whatever I write in the space provided actually marked by an examiner?
Original post by esrever
Also, for section 2, I found "show your reasoning in the space provided below". Is whatever I write in the space provided actually marked by an examiner?

Yes it will be. However I don’t know if the new paper 2 will need reasoning or not...
Original post by esrever
Consider the following two cases:
1) maths & physics raw score: 28/28. 8/26.
2) ad maths & physics raw score: 19/28. 17/26.

Both have total of 36 but different spread. So they are consider the same right? Or is ad maths & physics given more consideration?

Oops didn’t see your first question sorry. I think they will definitely prefer for you to have case 2) as they advise you to spend equal amounts of time on both sections, so it would probably be better to have high-ish marks on both than one section be very Low.
I'm starting engineering at cambridge in like one and a half weeks. All I would say is the process is holistic so don't worry about it if your ENGAA doesn't go as well as you wanted it to cuz the interview is very important too!
Are the 2 sections sat straight after one another? and how long did all of it take overall?
Original post by LouiseSkinner01
Are the 2 sections sat straight after one another? and how long did all of it take overall?

Yes. Total 2 hours.
Are we actually expected to do all the questions in time?
I did the specimen paper and was forced to guess the last 8 questions! That’s absurd...?
And is there a cut-off for an overall score that is considered “offer worthy”?
Original post by 12tastani
Are we actually expected to do all the questions in time?
I did the specimen paper and was forced to guess the last 8 questions! That’s absurd...?
And is there a cut-off for an overall score that is considered “offer worthy”?

If you’re a genius then u may be able to finish all the questions correctly.
See my post above for average scores. If you’re above average in score then Cambridge will think it’s worthy. They’re not expecting you to get 100%. 60% is good.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by xiaochen
If you’re a genius then u may be able to finish all the questions correctly.
See my post above for average scores. If you’re above average in score then Cambridge will think it’s worthy. They’re not expecting you to get 100%. 60% is good.

any particular resources/study techniques you are using?
Original post by isiaiah d
any particular resources/study techniques you are using?

Currently I am working through the entire physics a level syllabus and making quick notes on all of it.
I have also worked through the Ultimate EngAA guide book of 250 questions (really bad book, a lot of the questions are off topic/asked without enough information/have typos and incorrect answers).
I’ve done a few BPhO and PAT papers and also questions on I want to study engineering and Isaac physics.
I have done the few EngAA papers available under timed conditions and went back to thoroughly go through every question I did wrong. Then a few months later I do them all again when I’ve forgotten a lot of the questions but still remember the techniques to each question to see if I have improved.
Generally, you can see there is a trend in the types of questions asked - they will always be a similar question in each paper on radioactivity, two way tables, etc. So I recommend not to save the existing past EngAA papers until the end because there is so few of them, as some people do, but do them and redo them as much as u can :biggrin:
Currently I am working through the entire physics a level syllabus and making quick notes on all of it.
I have also worked through the Ultimate EngAA guide book of 250 questions (really bad book, a lot of the questions are off topic/asked without enough information/have typos and incorrect answers).
I’ve done a few BPhO and PAT papers and also questions on I want to study engineering and Isaac physics.
I have done the few EngAA papers available under timed conditions and went back to thoroughly go through every question I did wrong. Then a few months later I do them all again when I’ve forgotten a lot of the questions but still remember the techniques to each question to see if I have improved.
Generally, you can see there is a trend in the types of questions asked - they will always be a similar question in each paper on radioactivity, two way tables, etc. So I recommend not to save the existing past EngAA papers until the end because there is so few of them, as some people do, but do them and redo them as much as u can :biggrin:

Nice, I think I am gonna go over the spec asap(once i've finished my PS) and then do the 2017 paper and see how I go. What are you doing on your year out btw? Im literally doing nothing atm haha
Nice, I think I am gonna go over the spec asap(once i've finished my PS) and then do the 2017 paper and see how I go. What are you doing on your year out btw? Im literally doing nothing atm haha

Haha it’s really good! Made some good friends who I get the bus with Everyday and I’m learning a lot of things at work like heat pumps and electric theory. It takes me 2 hours to get to work tho :’(
Good luck with your preparation and the EngAA! It’s not Long now haha
Reply 16
Hey even I am doing past papers. Most of the time I get 17-23 in first section and 10-19 in section 2. I am losing lots of marks due to silly errors in the hurry. Hopefully I will get better.
I also did it last year. But I was rejected so I am going to reapply since I got A*A*A*A*AB + A* EPQ in my a levels!

EngAA was super hard (for me), but im gonna seriously prepare well this time. I asked for the average scores of 2017 engaa takers for anyone who is interested:
-------------------------------------------------------Mean - all applicants ---Mean - offer-holders

Maths &Physics (raw) ---------------------------------19.1 --------------------------22.6

Section 1 Ad Maths & Physics (raw) --------------11.0 --------------------------14.9

Section 1 Maths & Physics (reported) -------------5.3 ----------------------------6.9

Section 1 Ad Maths & Physics (reported) --------4.8 ----------------------------6.6

Section 2 Revised Mark ( /38) ----------------------25.0 ---------------------------30.1

Section 2 Revised Mark (%) ------------------------65.9% ------------------------79.2%

Wait ima little confused where would 19 in secton 1 and 18 in section 2 be on here? I can't figure out if its below or higher than the average/offer holders?
Wait ima little confused where would 19 in secton 1 and 18 in section 2 be on here? I can't figure out if its below or higher than the average/offer holders?

19 in section 1 is just below all applicant average (19.1) and below offer holder average (22.6)
18 in section 2 is quite above offer holder average (14.9)

I would say that it’s a very good performance!
19 in section 1 is just below all applicant average (19.1) and below offer holder average (22.6)
18 in section 2 is quite above offer holder average (14.9)

I would say that it’s a very good performance!

thanks, I think it's just the content I need to go over for section one. What are you planning on doing till the test date? Im thinking just as many questions(BPHO Step-mechanics-I want to study engineering-Isaac physics) as I can do then go through content closer to the date.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending