The Student Room Group

Do you believe there are 2 genders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InsertResultHere
Personality is NOT defined by genitalia, however I believe, and biologically speaking, that genitalia DOES define gender. It’s what differs between male and female. There are TWO differing genitalia, one for male, the other for female.
I’m not saying people can be who they want, but their biologica gender is one of those.

Well no, gender is psychology, sociology and neurobiology, but in terms of biological sex (which is what you're actually referring to), that's determined by physical characteristics (genitalia and secondary sex characteristics), chromosomes and hormone levels, not just genitalia.

Original post by FailedMyMocks
People are ****ed up. I'm sorry to say, if you have a dangly thing between your legs you're a man. If you don't have a dangly thing between your legs you're a woman.

http://www.cracked.com/article_22462_6-things-i-learned-having-my-penis-surgically-removed.html

This is an account of a bloke who had to have a penectomy due to cancer. He no longer has "a dangly thing between his legs". Is he no longer a man?
Yes and anyone who says otherwise is trying to be too PC
Original post by FailedMyMocks
People are ****ed up. I'm sorry to say, if you have a dangly thing between your legs you're a man. If you don't have a dangly thing between your legs you're a woman.

And if you cut your dangly thing off then you self harmed
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
http://www.cracked.com/article_22462_6-things-i-learned-having-my-penis-surgically-removed.html

This is an account of a bloke who had to have a penectomy due to cancer. He no longer has "a dangly thing between his legs". Is he no longer a man?

He’s a man who has cancer in his penis.
Original post by paul514
He’s a man who has cancer in his penis.

Correct, because what genitalia you have or don't have is not what determines your actual gender.
Correct, because what genitalia you have or don't have is not what determines your actual gender.

You're right, its what genitalia you are born with.
Original post by paul514
You're right, its what genitalia you are born with.

Eh no. That determines what gets put on your birth certificate, but that isn't necessarily what your gender actually is.
Reply 247
There are 2 genders. The objective of feminism is to destroy gender completely.

Why? Because as any feminist knows, the way that women are gendered as women dis-empowers, humiliates and degrades them.

The way that women are gendered as women (a social phenomenon, even if it does relate back to reproductive organs in a historical sense), has value in reproducing the existing social order, (one which we oppose in many ways for it's barbarous and continual humiliation of women (and in a different way, men too)), it's ideology is the way people relate themselves to the complex web of social relations they are in, while at the same time reproducing those conditions.

The implications of the overcoming of sexual difference and thus achieving true human equality, have their conclusion in the obliteration of gender, and eventually sexuality, altogether.
Eh no. That determines what gets put on your birth certificate, but that isn't necessarily what your gender actually is.

Yes because that is sex and sex is gender.

Regular people don’t believe in it’s sociological term, when you say gender they hear sex.
Original post by paul514
Yes because that is sex and sex is gender.

Regular people don’t believe in it’s sociological term, when you say gender they hear sex.

Regular people also think quantum is just a word you can attach to anything to make it sound vaguely cool and science-y. Those people are wrong - in academic contexts, i.e. the ones that are important when trying to understand gender, the two are not synonyms.

*******s. If your born with a nob chances are your male. Not denying there exist psychological conditions like gender identity disorder but they are not the norm. The norm is your either male or female
Original post by Kaffee_1998
*******s. If your born with a nob chances are your male. Not denying there exist psychological conditions like gender identity disorder but they are not the norm. The norm is your either male or female

I didn't argue being cis wasn't the norm (also as per WHO guidelines - GID isn't a psychological disorder it's a sexual health one), but what is true of the majority cannot then be applied to the exceptions to that rule anyway.
Regular people also think quantum is just a word you can attach to anything to make it sound vaguely cool and science-y. Those people are wrong - in academic contexts, i.e. the ones that are important when trying to understand gender, the two are not synonyms.

Well that’s lovely but it’s sociology, so sorry but it’s not serious.
Original post by Kaffee_1998

Even if you have GID, you are still male or female. That doesn't change even if you identify as an alien.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending