The Student Room Group

English language investigation

Hey i'm on my second year, of A level english language and i can't decide on a topic for my investigation???

I had one idea, but not sure if it will work, I have studied british sign language and there are differences between that and sign language. So i was debating comparing english and sign language or how hearing and deaf people understand english? but i'm not sure how it would work, if its too complicated or how i'd go about it either???

What does anyone think? any ideas or tips please? other topic ideas welcome too thanks
Reply 1
Original post by CherryMc
Hey i'm on my second year, of A level english language and i can't decide on a topic for my investigation???

I had one idea, but not sure if it will work, I have studied british sign language and there are differences between that and sign language. So i was debating comparing english and sign language or how hearing and deaf people understand english? but i'm not sure how it would work, if its too complicated or how i'd go about it either???

What does anyone think? any ideas or tips please? other topic ideas welcome too thanks

I'm not sure how that would work because you cannot analyse sign language and provide evidence
Reply 2
Original post by 12jpw
I'm not sure how that would work because you cannot analyse sign language and provide evidence

Yes providing evidence would be difficult, I could analyse sign language though. As it uses using a different mode of communication, the grammar is different, they don’t really use many determiners or conjunctions etc and it’s a language that uses more body language and facial expressions. That’s why I thought of it, plus there’s other social aspects, that may seem rude to hearing people etc. But providing evidence would be hard, and relating to a theorist
Reply 3
Original post by CherryMc
Yes providing evidence would be difficult, I could analyse sign language though. As it uses using a different mode of communication, the grammar is different, they don’t really use many determiners or conjunctions etc and it’s a language that uses more body language and facial expressions. That’s why I thought of it, plus there’s other social aspects, that may seem rude to hearing people etc. But providing evidence would be hard, and relating to a theorist

the problem would be being able to find language terminology
Reply 4
Original post by 12jpw
the problem would be being able to find language terminology

Yeah I just thought cause i know sign language it would be an idea, got no idea what else I could do 🤷*♀️

Quick Reply

Latest