The Student Room Group

Postgraduate looking to retake A-Level

Hi!
I am a 23y/o with a 2.1 undergrad degree and last year completed my masters. At the moment, I'm considering doing a GDL and going into law.
I've been looking into training contracts etc and most firm require ABB at least. Unfortunately, I didn't do so well because of certain circumstances and ended up with BBC. I was wondering if it's worth me re-taking an A-Level and bringing it up to ABB (ofc, there's not guarantee).
I'm unsure of what to do - I really do want to get into law but it's a shame I kind of ****ed up my A-Levels and now the outlook for my law career isn't looking too great. Is it worth me re-taking an A-Level? If so, how exactly would I go about this since Jan exam have been abolished.
I would appreciate your honest advice.
Thanks in advance!
Original post by hl1810
Hi!
I am a 23y/o with a 2.1 undergrad degree and last year completed my masters. At the moment, I'm considering doing a GDL and going into law.
I've been looking into training contracts etc and most firm require ABB at least. Unfortunately, I didn't do so well because of certain circumstances and ended up with BBC. I was wondering if it's worth me re-taking an A-Level and bringing it up to ABB (ofc, there's not guarantee).
I'm unsure of what to do - I really do want to get into law but it's a shame I kind of ****ed up my A-Levels and now the outlook for my law career isn't looking too great. Is it worth me re-taking an A-Level? If so, how exactly would I go about this since Jan exam have been abolished.
Thanks in advance!

This isn't easy nowadays. Which subjects would you be resitting? A levels are no longer modular, meaning you would need to resit the whole AS and A2 in a single 'A Level' qualification, usually taken at the end of a two-year course. Costs as a private candidate vary and, if it's a science course, you'd need to do the practical endorsement which is extremely expensive and difficult to find a centre willing to host you.

I'm tempted to suggest you should look for firms which don't have such a strict A level requirement: the costs and palaver required to re-sit them, coupled with the fact that they are resits makes me doubt the value of this. @J-SP - what do you think?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by hl1810
Hi!
Thanks in advance!

I'm in agreement with Reality Check. But, I would also add that the straightforward path isn't necessarily the best one. And, that you would only need to resit the one exam but it'd be your weakest subject by the look of it. If you really want to resit an A-Level then contact local colleges or education providers that would let you onto the course. Also, ask if there is any student finance available for yourself if you do this. Or, do a level 3/4 equivalent qualification that they may accept instead.

If you don't want to resit, think outside of the box. You can: contact people in the companies you apply for and see if they would see your current experiences as equivalencies for your A-Levels, get work in a company as an admin and prove yourself to be more than capable of the work your peers would be doing, apply directly for jobs in those companies that don't list the A-Level requirements (They could be high up or low down.).

Heck, I got an interview (not been for it yet) as a Grade 6 Civil Servant. I did very poorly in my A-Levels but I made up for it with my work experience (I started working at 16 as an Accounting apprentice) and I'm in my last week on a MSc in International Finance without having done a Bachelors previously.

I hope I've helped.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by J-SP
I don’t think it is worthwhile.

1) it would take 2 years

2) many firms with a strict A-level requirement will only consider the first sitting anyway

I don't mean to sound argumentative but it doesn't take two years to resit one A-Level (comprised of AS and A2). It may take a year due to exam bookings; certainly, not two. However, I agree it may not be worthwhile due to the second point you made.
Reply 4
Original post by J-SP
It could do. As mentioned above, A-levels are no longer modular. I know someone who was considering this same issue and their only option was to commit to another two years given the course structure and content had changed completely. And they sat their original course only last year.

Yes it could take two years. It could take more than two years if the exam body allowed it; it could take less. I'm just saying it's not definite that it's two years. Usually exams are ran twice per year with major examining bodies for non-modular courses. This would allow you to sit an AS and an A2 in the same year, if you can learn the data, and if the education provider allows you to sit them like this.
Original post by Jamawi
Yes it could take two years. It could take more than two years if the exam body allowed it; it could take less. I'm just saying it's not definite that it's two years. Usually exams are ran twice per year with major examining bodies for non-modular courses. This would allow you to sit an AS and an A2 in the same year, if you can learn the data, and if the education provider allows you to sit them like this.

No, this is wrong on several facts. Exams are not run 'twice a year': there is one, and only one, assessment opportunity in the summer. The January examination series was abolished after January 2013! Neither are there even 'non-modular' A level courses - they are all linear. And, finally, as I said in my original post, there is no AS and A2 to sit - you're thinking of Curriculum 2000. The new A level is a single, stand-alone qualification, as is the AS
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
OP, what A level(s) are you thinking of re-sitting? If you took Maths or Gov & Pol (and a small number of other subjects) then there is a last chance to re-sit the modular courses next Summer.
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check
No, this is wrong on several facts. Exams are not run 'twice a year': there is one, and only one, assessment opportunity in the summer. The January examination series was abolished after January 2013! Neither are there even 'non-modular' A level courses - they are all linear. And, finally, as I said in my original post, there is no AS and A2 to sit - you're thinking of Curriculum 2000. The new A level is a single, stand-alone qualification, as is the AS

Actually, my post may not have been phrased correctly. It was assuming you take the AS and A2 since they occur on differing dates meaning two separate times to sit, therefore allowing you to complete it in a year.

Secondly, my bad, I keep forgetting that it's a new syllabus sorry if I confused you OP. This however, does not stop you for completing it in one year and not two, as you can still apply to do the examination on the annual date.
Original post by Reality Check
Your post doesn't make sense. If you want to bring them up to ABB from BBC you'll need to resit two A levels.

This isn't easy nowadays. Which subjects would you be resitting? A levels are no longer modular, meaning you would need to resit the whole AS and A2 in a single 'A Level' qualification, usually taken at the end of a two-year course. Costs as a private candidate vary and, if it's a science course, you'd need to do the practical endorsement which is extremely expensive and difficult to find a centre willing to host you.

I'm tempted to suggest you should look for firms which don't have such a strict A level requirement: the costs and palaver required to re-sit them, coupled with the fact that they are resits makes me doubt the value of this. @J-SP - what do you think?

Surely you can just resit the C with the aim to get an A? Why would two A levels be needed to be resat?
Original post by death07/08/17
Surely you can just resit the C with the aim to get an A? Why would two A levels be needed to be resat?

Yes, sorry I misread the OP as BDD rather than BBC. I've corrected my post - thanks for pointing it out.
Original post by hl1810
Hi!
Thanks in advance!

There's just time to squeeze in an online A level course with NEC, in some subjects. Others, not. Give us a call and we'll see if we can help towards next summer's exams. 0800 3892839.
Dan

Quick Reply

Latest