The Student Room Group

Higher Human Biology 2018/19

Thread for Higher Human Biology on the way up to the exam.
How is everyone finding the course so far ?

EDIT- UNOFFICIAL MARKING SCHEME HERE :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm crashing and I love it! So interesting and going well so far :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by amiegiraffe
I'm crashing and I love it! So interesting and going well so far :biggrin:

Good to hear I done Nat 5 in S4 and now I’m doing Higher in S6 (Took a year out of bio).
I’m finding it good aswell. Out of curiosity where are use in the course the now, think we are not far of finishing unit 1 currently on Metabolic Pathways.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Quez_72
Good to hear I done Nat 5 in S4 and now I’m doing Higher in S6 (Took a year out of bio).
I’m finding it good aswell. Out of curiosity where are use in the course the now, think we are not far of finishing unit 1 currently on Metabolic Pathways.

yeah same, we just did a test and once we finish the metabolic pathway stuff we are doing another teat on like all the unit one stuff. It's so good though and easy enough so fa
I'm crashing Human Bio because I have no sciences, the only background I have is physics which I took in S3 (3 years ago)! It's really interesting but I regret my life choices lol. I'm doing it as a night class at my local college and everyone else on the course is either resitting or has a different higher science so I feel a bit out of my depth :frown: Does anyone else struggle with the amount of the vocabulary and terms that we have to remember??
Original post by kerilouise38
Does anyone else struggle with the amount of the vocabulary and terms that we have to remember??

I found this difficult when I was doing it too, especially since some of them are so similar...What I found worked was making flashcards (and testing myself with them over and over) and using alliteration to associate the words with different objects- kinda random, but it helped get them in my head! :smile:
Reply 6
hi can someone please explain question 2 from 2017 multiple choice and question 5 from multiple choice also :smile:
Original post by Nimrah_M
hi can someone please explain question 2 from 2017 multiple choice and question 5 from multiple choice also :smile:

For number 2...
You need to look at the key and the two y axes to be able to match up which scale goes with what information. Doing that, you should establish that the y axis on the left (Number of new cases) is shown by the grey bars. The y axis on the right (frequency of cases...) is shown by the line graph.
It's then a case of looking at each statement individually, and establishing whether it is shown by what is on the graph.
For example, A 'The highest frequency of cases within the population was in the 70–74 year old age group.' It's talking about frequency, so you need to look at the y axis on the right, and the line graph. It is then a case of asking 'is the data point on the line graph the highest one in the line graph?'. Since the answer to this is no, this statement is not true, so this cannot be concluded from the graph.
Can you work through the other three in a similar way to obtain the correct answer?

For number 5...
This one is more of a knowledge based one, but it is something you can figure out...
The question tells you that red blood cells have no nucleus and no mitochondria- you therefore need to establish which of the named processes do not require either of the nucleus or mitochondria to occur. Start by writing down where each of the processes occur, and you will quickly find the correct answer.

I've not straight off given you the answers, as the marking scheme does that already, but hopefully these pointers will help you figure it out (which will be more beneficial to you as well). If you're still not sure, let me know and show me what you've done so far, and then I can provide some more guidance. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 8
Got my Prelim back and let’s just say didn’t go well. Although my teacher said it was a very hard Prelim (the marks got put down slightly) and I am aware that (and for me personally) that prelims are tougher that the final exam. Any advice on how to improve besides putting in more work ?
Areas I have specifically identified for myself is Problem solving Questions as a whole and the Cardiac/Cardiovascular (second part) of Unit 2
hi could I have a copy please? if you still have those, thank you x
Can anyone help me with higher human biology? I have my exam in April and struggle!
thank you x
Original post by lana Mcallister
hi could I have a copy please? if you still have those, thank you x

:wavey:

I've moved your post over to the Higher Human Biology thread for this year :smile: All of the past papers and answers, including the 2018 one, are available on the SQA website: https://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/findpastpaper.htm?subject=Human+Biology&level=NH
Original post by lana Mcallister
Can anyone help me with higher human biology? I have my exam in April and struggle!
thank you x

Which parts of the course is it you struggle with specifically?
How are you revising currently, and how did you get on in your prelim if you've done it yet?
I sruggling with math really as it's not part of the course but they expect you to know, all the info on units I am memorising but graphs, percentages, ratios I am like WT? So far I have completed Units 1 and 2 plus essays. unit 3 and 4 essays to do yet, plus assingment , exam prep and exam itself. LOL, additionally am a FT student doing something else. My exam on 30/04 and my Blood pressure is going x
Reply 14
Original post by Quez_72
Got my Prelim back and let’s just say didn’t go well. Although my teacher said it was a very hard Prelim (the marks got put down slightly) and I am aware that (and for me personally) that prelims are tougher that the final exam. Any advice on how to improve besides putting in more work ?
Areas I have specifically identified for myself is Problem solving Questions as a whole and the Cardiac/Cardiovascular (second part) of Unit 2

im doing mine in monday and i think im gonna fail it
Reply 15
If anyone has access to the higher human biology on scholar If you could give me access to it I would be very grateful
Original post by hz123
If anyone has access to the higher human biology on scholar If you could give me access to it I would be very grateful

Your school should be able to allow you access to it :smile:
Reply 17
I go to a college during school time do it and they are not subscribed to scholar
Original post by hz123
I go to a college during school time do it and they are not subscribed to scholar

Your school should still be able to sort it if you ask whichever member of staff (often a depute head or something) usually deals with it. I had subjects added to my Scholar for classes I didn't get taught in school without any problems :smile:
Reply 19
Yeah I'm gonna try that tomorrow I emailed scholar and they said where I sit the exam is what counts so the college I'm sitting the exam hasn't subscribed to scholar so they cant give it to me. So fingers cross it works out because scholar is really good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending