The Student Room Group

STEP offers for Computer science with maths at Cambridge

So for Cambridge there's an option to do half maths half computer science for the first year with the computer science course. They say that most colleges will require you take STEP for your offer if you choose this option. Does anyone have any idea what kind of STEP offer would be made for this degree?
Original post by mark252623
So for Cambridge there's an option to do half maths half computer science for the first year with the computer science course. They say that most colleges will require you take STEP for your offer if you choose this option. Does anyone have any idea what kind of STEP offer would be made for this degree?

Look at website of the college you want to apply to. Usually it's the standard maths offer, 1,1 in STEP II and III.

This is one of the few entry requirements that varies between colleges. Annoyingly, not all colleges specify theirs on their websites so it's wise to send emails to admissions tutors asking firstly what their STEP requirements are and secondly what their policy on admitting you either for CS with maths or CS without maths if you meet the A-levels but miss STEP. When I did this, I think there was a fairly even split between 1,1 in II, III and 1, 2 in II, III, with a couple of rogue choices like 1,1 in I, II and 1 in either I or II. I'm pretty sure all colleges will require some STEP in some form.
Reply 3
Original post by sweeneyrod
This is one of the few entry requirements that varies between colleges. Annoyingly, not all colleges specify theirs on their websites so it's wise to send emails to admissions tutors asking firstly what their STEP requirements are and secondly what their policy on admitting you either for CS with maths or CS without maths if you meet the A-levels but miss STEP. When I did this, I think there was a fairly even split between 1,1 in II, III and 1, 2 in II, III, with a couple of rogue choices like 1,1 in I, II and 1 in either I or II. I'm pretty sure all colleges will require some STEP in some form.

Thank you. I've emailed the college. :smile:
Reply 4
Just incase anyone has the same question, and plans on applying to Homerton, their answer was as follows:
standard STEP offer: 1 and 2 in any order in step II and step III
If step offer is missed, chances of admissions depends on specific cases.
Just incase anyone has the same question, and plans on applying to Homerton, their answer was as follows:
standard STEP offer: 1 and 2 in any order in step II and step III
If step offer is missed, chances of admissions depends on specific cases.

Excellent choice of college! (although prepare for a lot of cycling if you get in)
Reply 6
Excellent choice of college! (although prepare for a lot of cycling if you get in)

Thanks! I already have an offer for 2019... (They just aren't telling me what grades required until January, along with everyone else.)
It's early because of the organ scholarship system.
Thanks! I already have an offer for 2019... (They just aren't telling me what grades required until January, along with everyone else.)
It's early because of the organ scholarship system.

Oh, cool! Although I guess it might not have been a choice as such then... Regardless, I'm sure you'll like Homerton, even though we don't actually have an organ.
Reply 8
Oh, cool! Although I guess it might not have been a choice as such then... Regardless, I'm sure you'll like Homerton, even though we don't actually have an organ.

I hear scholars at Homerton get a personal stylophone...
Reply 9
Original post by Doonesbury
I hear scholars at Homerton get a personal stylophone...

I really hope you're not joking...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending