The Student Room Group

Help, finding GCSE too hard after 7 year break

I'm 26 and I graduated in IT about 2 years ago but fancied a change of career plan as I want to become a Motor Mechanic.

So have gone back to my local college to study Motor Vehicle but had option to study GCSE English and Maths. This is the same college, I went to 7 years ago in which I studied BTEC Level 3 in IT along with Functional Skills Level 2 in English, Maths and IT before I went to uni.

So the last time I probably did anything to do with English or Maths was 7 years ago.

I was told I don't need to do English or Maths as I've got Functional Skills Level 2 but then I probably won't get another opportunity like this so thought I'd just do it to improve my grade as some employers prefer GCSE than Functional Skills.

However 4 weeks into these sessions and I'm finding it really difficult, I have been placed in the top level class where most of the students are school leavers or resitting for their exams so literally these students already know most of the stuff from school or last year whilst for me it is a fresh start.

I have tried revising and catching up in my spare time but just can't do it. I feel there is too much to do as with being 26, I've got other responsibilities such as work, looking after family etc.

I feel like dropping out of GCSE and just attend Motor Vehicle sessions, what would you in my situation?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 26 and I graduated in IT about 2 years ago but fancied a change of career plan as I want to become a Motor Mechanic.

So have gone back to my local college to study Motor Vehicle but had option to study GCSE English and Maths. This is the same college, I went to 7 years ago in which I studied BTEC Level 3 in IT along with Functional Skills Level 2 in English, Maths and IT before I went to uni.

So the last time I probably did anything to do with English or Maths was 7 years ago.

I was told I don't need to do English or Maths as I've got Functional Skills Level 2 but then I probably won't get another opportunity like this so thought I'd just do it to improve my grade as some employers prefer GCSE than Functional Skills.

However 4 weeks into these sessions and I'm finding it really difficult, I have been placed in the top level class where most of the students are school leavers or resitting for their exams so literally these students already know most of the stuff from school or last year whilst for me it is a fresh start.

I have tried revising and catching up in my spare time but just can't do it. I feel there is too much to do as with being 26, I've got other responsibilities such as work, looking after family etc.

I feel like dropping out of GCSE and just attend Motor Vehicle sessions, what would you in my situation?

Unusually am not sure. I would have top weigh up how hard I was finding it.
In the big scheme of things with jobs I think FS will do, but as you say some prefer GCSE. Have a look at some job adverts and see, but I bet FS is ok in most circumstances. On that basis depending which side of bed I got out of I could live with FS and focus on mechanics.

On the other side I dont do exams with a view to giving up.
Just need to get organised and get stuck into the work.
The others wouldnt worry me, look at it as the fact they are there because theyve failed.

Mr Bruff and Mr Salles are what you need for English. Watch 4 vids a day.

Maths genie is quite good for maths.

Get organised, have a plan and get stuck in. Have to commit and get your act together rather than be worried about other people.

If its too much then quit or maybe just do one of them? Talk to your teachers.

Books
Brufff lang
http://mrbruff.com/product/mr-bruffs-guide-to-gcse-language/

Mr Salles
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salles-Guide-100-English-Language/dp/191138225X/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

https://www.youtube.com/user/mrbruff/playlists
https://www.youtube.com/user/dominicsalles/playlists

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending