The Student Room Group

Should I study in the UK or Canada?

Scroll to see replies

UTSC co-op Computer Science or UCL?
Please help me choose between them....
Original post by zero_gravity
I don't know if you will benefit more if you went to a Canadian university, but I think it will be the same regardless of attending a Canadian university of a UK university.

The tuition fees are significantly higher for Canadian universities (depending on the program) than UK universities. Like I said, it really depends on the city you are living. Expect to be paying for a high cost of living in Vancouver or Toronto, as opposed to Montreal, where the cost of living tends to be lower.

I think it would be best to calculate an estimated cost of your tuition fees for the four years you will be attending at a Canadian university in comparison to the three years at a UK university. That being said, you also have to take into consideration of transportation, accommodation, food, etc.

My situation is slightly different where I will be able to have lower costs if studying in Canada. Any advice?
Original post by scouterlion
My situation is slightly different where I will be able to have lower costs if studying in Canada. Any advice?

Focus primarily on transportation/accommodation/food/support network. In my opinion, transportation and accommodation go hand in hand - usually the closer you live to campus the more expensive it is. The cheaper options are more palatable with good transportation, but it depends on how good the public infrastructure is, or whether you can afford a car. Having a support network nearby is useful as well, especially when it comes to summer time and students aren't allowed to stay in dorms.

Also, keep in mind that 2hrs of driving in Canada is different than in the UK. 2h W of Toronto is London, ON/UWO. 2h E of Toronto is Belleville, an industrial city. It takes another hour to get to Queen's/Kingston.

Another thing to think of is what do you think you'll gain out of a Canadian degree vs UK degree.
Reply 43
i am civil engineer graduate from India. looking forward to take admission in either fanshawe( london,canada) or nait(alberta) for Construction Management. which college will be better? also what are work permit during and after 1 year masters course for international student on student visa?
Where should I go for my undergraduate course in computer science? In Canada ( University of british columbia) or in UK ( King's college london or University of manchester)
Original post by Griffindorr
Where should I go for my undergraduate course in computer science? In Canada ( University of british columbia) or in UK ( King's college london or University of manchester)

Depends on your citizenship, your financial status, and where you would like to study. Do you know where you want to work later on? Are you planning to stay in Europe or North America? It's hard to say without knowing what your plans are.
Please, mine isn't a reply to the question asked previously, but I need some clarification and advice. Between UK and Canada, which of them would the family(spouse and children) an international student have it easy to visit or join him/her either before or after graduation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending