The Student Room Group

Higher Business Management 2018/19

Higher Business Management Thread 2018/19
How is everyone finding the course so far ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quez_72
Higher Business Management Thread 2018/19
How is everyone finding the course so far ?

I thought i was confident enough in the course material and didn't need to revise too much and so went into my unit assessment but barely scraped a pass. Now my teacher was disappointed lol, but I'll get 100% and have made sure to revise for the next section test.
I'm unsure of what business to pick for my assignment, I was going to do Amazon, but I don't think they have many problems which I could so intelligently present an argument for how and why they should be fixed, and how this would lead to improvement for the company. Any suggestions for a business for this new higher in 2018?
Reply 3
Original post by CheeseStudy123
I thought i was confident enough in the course material and didn't need to revise too much and so went into my unit assessment but barely scraped a pass. Now my teacher was disappointed lol, but I'll get 100% and have made sure to revise for the next section test.

Yeah I would probably revise for the unit assessments because when you do they are so easy. I done Higher Business last year and wasn’t outstanding at it but with a good bit of revision near prelim and exam you should be fine. I would recommend knowing Advantsges and Disadvantages for different things at least 2 if each per question.
Original post by Quez_72
Yeah I would probably revise for the unit assessments because when you do they are so easy. I done Higher Business last year and wasn’t outstanding at it but with a good bit of revision near prelim and exam you should be fine. I would recommend knowing Advantsges and Disadvantages for different things at least 2 if each per question.

Okay thanks for the reply. What topic would you recommend for doing this year? I'm struggling to find one, and have to know by next period (i'm in school rn lol)
Reply 5
I'm unsure of what business to pick for my assignment, I was going to do Amazon, but I don't think they have many problems which I could so intelligently present an argument for how and why they should be fixed, and how this would lead to improvement for the company. Any suggestions for a business for this new higher in 2018?

Amazon should be fine for sure with research done you can find out loads. I personally did mine on Apple and got an A in it and the thing was I basically winged it. But you can definetely do well on things like amazon etc.
Original post by Quez_72
Amazon should be fine for sure with research done you can find out loads. I personally did mine on Apple and got an A in it and the thing was I basically winged it. But you can definetely do well on things like amazon etc.

Hey!

What did your research on Apple focus on in your Business assignment last year?
Reply 7
Original post by _Matthew01_
Hey!

What did your research on Apple focus on in your Business assignment last year?

It was to do with if Apple have a strong competition towards their target market With a SWAT analysis as my analytical tool if I can remember right.
Are you thinking of doing your assignment on Apple ?
By the way SWOT analysis was removed from this year's higher course. I think what you did for Apple would work for a company like Amazon because they don't have many strong competitors but they do at the same timelike Alibaba, ebay, etc. What sets them apart is fast delivery around the world and their size as well I think.
Original post by Quez_72
It was to do with if Apple have a strong competition towards their target market With a SWAT analysis as my analytical tool if I can remember right.
Are you thinking of doing your assignment on Apple ?

Hi,

Yeah, I'm looking at doing my assignment on Apple :smile:.

It was mainly just a matter of which particular aspect of Apple to focus on for my assignment but I guess I have a rough idea now.
By the way SWOT analysis was removed from this year's higher course. I think what you did for Apple would work for a company like Amazon because they don't have many strong competitors but they do at the same timelike Alibaba, ebay, etc. What sets them apart is fast delivery around the world and their size as well I think.

Seriously? Which analysis tool is being used then? I have yet to get onto the marketing section of the textbook, but i thought SWOT was still used and planned to do a SWOT analysis on Boots for the assignment... ahhhh (external candidate, not doing via school/college)
hi guys can anyone that's done higher business management read my assignment and tell me what they think please, I have had no support from teachers
Original post by Weelouise
Seriously? Which analysis tool is being used then? I have yet to get onto the marketing section of the textbook, but i thought SWOT was still used and planned to do a SWOT analysis on Boots for the assignment... ahhhh (external candidate, not doing via school/college)

Don't worry! The SQA haven't been too clear on what has been excluded in the new higher this year, and my Business management teacher has herself got mixed up with content.
The SWOT analysis has been removed but I think you may be able to still do your assignment on it but you should clarify with someone or an online resource - it's just not on the curriculum. To be on the safe side you may want to consider doing something like the marketing mix (The 4/7P's of Marketing) - A lot of people in my class, including myself are doing this one and you can do 2 out of 7 or 4 out of 7P's which you should clarify in the report. Hope this helps.

The marketing mix is fairly straightforward with lots of flexibility. Good luck!
Original post by lewissmith2001
hi guys can anyone that's done higher business management read my assignment and tell me what they think please, I have had no support from teachers

I wouldn't advise sending anyone your assignment when you still need to use it for your coursework...They could plagiarise parts of it, for which you'd also potentially get in trouble.
Original post by Labrador99
I wouldn't advise sending anyone your assignment when you still need to use it for your coursework...They could plagiarise parts of it, for which you'd also potentially get in trouble.

but if it's a teacher?
but if it's a teacher?

If it's a teacher that's fine...If it's a random person on the internet it's probably not the best idea. It's ultimately up to you what you do though :smile:
thanks mate
Don't worry! The SQA haven't been too clear on what has been excluded in the new higher this year, and my Business management teacher has herself got mixed up with content.
The SWOT analysis has been removed but I think you may be able to still do your assignment on it but you should clarify with someone or an online resource - it's just not on the curriculum. To be on the safe side you may want to consider doing something like the marketing mix (The 4/7P's of Marketing) - A lot of people in my class, including myself are doing this one and you can do 2 out of 7 or 4 out of 7P's which you should clarify in the report. Hope this helps.

The marketing mix is fairly straightforward with lots of flexibility. Good luck!

That's great, thank you - i have actually started planning and i went with doing an analysis of the marketing mix of Amazon, i never realised you could actually just do 2 or 4 out of the 7 P's, that would be much more easier as i feel like the full 7 P's is quite hard and you're forever writing stuff. Would you put it in the title that you're doing however many P's or just in the introduction section? Thanks again :-)

I have no support from teachers either as i'm doing this as an external candidate. I have found that the SQA understandingstandards and SQA higher business management assignment task are pretty helpful. I found them quite challenging to use simply because i've never studied business in my life, but for someone who has some knowledge of how things should be, it might be easier for you to navigate through the documents.
Original post by Weelouise
That's great, thank you - i have actually started planning and i went with doing an analysis of the marketing mix of Amazon, i never realised you could actually just do 2 or 4 out of the 7 P's, that would be much more easier as i feel like the full 7 P's is quite hard and you're forever writing stuff. Would you put it in the title that you're doing however many P's or just in the introduction section? Thanks again :-)

thanks for the advice, that's the problem the SQA haven't been clear at all, I want to use my questionnaire for the conclusion but not much for analysis, do you know if I could use info I have gathered in the my conclusion that I haven't mentioned in the analysis

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending