The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

just looked at the UCL course for applied medical science and it seems so much better than biomed? can anyone give me their thoughts on whether a degree in biomed or applied medical science will be better for graduate entry medicine???
Original post by Katie.12
just looked at the UCL course for applied medical science and it seems so much better than biomed? can anyone give me their thoughts on whether a degree in biomed or applied medical science will be better for graduate entry medicine???

If applied medical science still counts as a life science degree, then both degrees will most likely be given equal weighting. However, if that degree isn't really considered a life science (I'm not sure what the modules are in that), then it closes some grad med schools which want a previous life science degree. If both are considered life science, choose whichever one you seem more attracted to!
Original post by prospectmedic123
No i meant whether you're eligible of applying whilst doing a masters?

The best advice is to ask the admission team in Birmingham medschool. Give them a call so you know the answer straight away or let them get back to you.
Apparently Birmingham do want applicants to specify time spent working. Hesitant on including this?
Also do we have to put in all our undergrad module grades on ucas
Has anyone put in all their module details in on UCAS? Or is it enough to just say you have a first?
Original post by prospectmedic123
Also do we have to put in all our undergrad module grades on ucas

I am confused about this as well! It's not mentioned anywhere else except a thread on here that I just saw. Surely they can't be that strict on it otherwise it'd be mentioned on entry requirements?
Original post by katie-roberts
I am confused about this as well! It's not mentioned anywhere else except a thread on here that I just saw. Surely they can't be that strict on it otherwise it'd be mentioned on entry requirements?

I've just sent an email about this, hoping for a reply soon...but it might be better to call! Also, since they said to state the time spent on work experience, how did people do this? Was this through the PS, or employment?
Original post by medicwannabe19
I've just sent an email about this, hoping for a reply soon...but it might be better to call! Also, since they said to state the time spent on work experience, how did people do this? Was this through the PS, or employment?

Can you let us know what they reply
Hey guys, so would you say it's not worth putting Bham Uni with ABB? I have a 1st and pretty consistent work exp and volunteering (if I do say so), just don't want to blow a chance even though the uni is great. Thanks!
Original post by jollycobbler123
Hey guys, so would you say it's not worth putting Bham Uni with ABB? I have a 1st and pretty consistent work exp and volunteering (if I do say so), just don't want to blow a chance even though the uni is great. Thanks!

why are you reluctant
what're everyones a-level grades like?
Original post by jollycobbler123

Hey I am in a similar position to you and I am applying to Birmingham! We meet the cut offs on their website so I think it's worth a shot x

I haven't really got the space on my PS to say how long each lil thing was but I have highlighted how long I've been volunteering in a hospice, and when my first work experience was. Just to highlight commitment to medicine etc etc:smile: hopefully that is okay! I haven't sent mine off yet so someone pls correct me if I'm wrong
hey just to let everyone know, i emailed birmingham regarding whether to enter individual module marks and the reply said this:

"I have just spoken with central admissions and they will expect a breakdown of the modules you have done and marks on the UCAS application. If you require further information they can be contacted on 0121 415 8900."

xx
I was thinking of applying to Birmingham but I'm confused about something. Do they require A-level chemistry or does a degree in biomed with some chemistry satisfy the requirements?
Original post by katie-roberts
hey just to let everyone know, i emailed birmingham regarding whether to enter individual module marks and the reply said this:

"I have just spoken with central admissions and they will expect a breakdown of the modules you have done and marks on the UCAS application. If you require further information they can be contacted on 0121 415 8900."

xx

Is that just for 2.1 though as I emailed the head of admission for med there and he said that with a 1st class degree result you do not neede to indicate module marks :/
Original post by Betherella93
Is that just for 2.1 though as I emailed the head of admission for med there and he said that with a 1st class degree result you do not neede to indicate module marks :/

In my original email I mentioned that I had a first then that's what they said! But they didn't mention class in their reply, I'm just gonna put them in to be safe x
Original post by Betherella93

Yeah I just heard back from them: "they would usually get in touch if they require more information however you can send your transcripts with your UCAS number to [email protected]"

I'm super confused, one moment they say no need, other people get replies saying you need to put down individual modules!!
Yeah I just heard back from them: "they would usually get in touch if they require more information however you can send your transcripts with your UCAS number to [email protected]"

I'm super confused, one moment they say no need, other people get replies saying you need to put down individual modules!!

I know its so confusing, especially as I interrupted my studies so my transcript is already confusing enough without having to work out how to put it all on UCAS. Also at times my biomed modules where 2.2/2.1's and some of my anth marks pulled my grade up to a first so I dont know if is going to be disadvantageous for the other uni's I am applying to, to see that. So im not sure what to do.

Latest

Trending

Trending