The Student Room Group

Chazza's Guide to Boondoggling

hi guys,
i'm catherine (or charlie to most). i developed the occasional nickname of chazzer a few months back

i'm taking my gcses in may 2019 :cry2::cry2::cry2:

i've started this GYG so i can hopefully motivate myself and others to get some work done. i've got 10 gcses to work towards: biology, chemistry, english language, english literature, food, french, geography, maths, music and physics (just note how they're in alphabetical order there…)

I took yr 10 mocks in june 2018 and (to my surprise) did pretty well…

Results
Biology - 7
Chemistry - 7
English Language - 7
English Literature - 8
Food - 7
French - 5
Geography - 9 (yeah i dunno how that happened)
Maths - 8
Music - 8
Physics - 8

overall not too bad so it's a good starting place to improve on for the next mocks in november, yeah just over a month away which is kinda scary.

Aim
i'd like to get all 8s but wouldn't be too disappointed with 7s, especially in french, which i may not even do anyway (long story)
teacher's target grade
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 8
English Language - 8
English Literature - 8
Food - 8
French - 7
Geography - 7
Maths - 9
Music - 9
Physics - 8

my target grade
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 8
English Language - 8
English Literature - 8
Food - 8
French - 7
Geography - 8
Maths - 9
Music - 9
Physics - 8

Future
I've signed up for NCS next summer after my gcses and i'm really looking forward to it. it looks great! i don't get too excited about anything really so that is quite a big reaction for me.

Further Education
i definitely want to study psychology later on at sixth form and am debating english, biology, geography and sociology - i'm only allowed 3 subjects.

Extra Info
if you care…

at the moment i have fortnightly counselling sessions for mental health issues which are kinda getting in the way of work, seeing as i miss school during that time. and obviously mental health issues don't exactly help with school and work and stuff like that. i'd like to be discharged by the end of gcses but that's dependant on other factors and stuff.
i'm quite musical (hence why i took music gcse) and play the piano and flute. got up to grade 8 on piano but have stopped lessons now to free up time. working towards jazz grade 8 on the flute, hopefully christmas time, and i'd love to learn to play the saxophone and the drums.

if you want to be tagged then just ask!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Welcome to GYG! Those are some pretty epic grades and I'm sure you'll get high marks overall!! I also have a GYG if you wanna check it out?
Reply 2
Best of luck with Year 11! :rave:
:hugs:
:woo: what exam board for music? i do edexcel :smile:
Original post by emilynxlan
Welcome to GYG! Those are some pretty epic grades and I'm sure you'll get high marks overall!! I also have a GYG if you wanna check it out?

thanks. yeah i'd love to see what other people are doing and what studying stuff works for them
Original post by nyxnko_
Best of luck with Year 11! :rave:

thanks! do you have a gyg at all that i could check out?
Original post by laurawatt
:woo: what exam board for music? i do edexcel :smile:

aww, no i do aqa :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by Charlie Hitchins
thanks! do you have a gyg at all that i could check out?

yes, I do :yes: It'll be floating around somewhere...
aww, no i do aqa :s-smilie:

haha at least you won't bring my grade boundaries up then! :lol:
So despite doubts, I actually got some stuff done today…

I stayed up till 4.30 last night watching Netlfix (i know, i little silly) so I didn't get out of bed until about 11 this morning, 2 hours later than a normal weekend. However, I managed to do a bit of music practise (i need to learn an accompaniment piece on the piano for my friend) and then got some french and geography homework done.

Anyone else find homework easier to get started on than revision?

Anyway, still feel like I haven't got a lot done probably because I've been sitting down most of the day and I'm kinda obsessed with getting my steps up a lot. It's been raining though so I probably won't even get to do a dog walk :frown:

Hopefully tomorrow will get off to a better start because I really need to finish my geography: a whole a3 piece of paper. Dunno if this is just a weird me thing, but a3 paper slightly scares me. For any Harry Potter fans out there, my boggart would probably be a piece of a3 paper!

@emilynxlan @laurawatt @nyxnko_ @CosmicDust (dunno if you wanna see this but I saw you were new so thought you might…)
You silly! Don't stay up late to watch Netflix! You can always do it tomorrow :tongue:
Homework is used to put off revision! :yes: (don't actually follow that advice)
At least walking is good for you. My current obsession is to see how many hours a day I can stare at a screen :colondollar:
Honestly, same. A3 paper is kinda like sacred paper.. only for special occasions!
Thanks for tagging me. Well done on your mocks-amazing grades.
Glad to see I’m not the only one who stays up to ungodly hours watching Netflix :biggrin:
I’m also planning on doing NCS this summer, hopefully it’ll be fun.
(edited 5 years ago)
Haha I find revision easier than homeworks (I do revision and then out homework off until the last minute :tongue:)
Yeeee Harry Potter! :woo:

Also get some sleep! :fuhrer:
Original post by CosmicDust
Thanks for tagging me. Well done on your mocks-amazing grades.
Glad to see I’m not the only one who stays up to ungodly hours watching Netflix :biggrin:
I’m also planning on doing NCS this summer, hopefully it’ll be fun.

thanks, not entirely sure how i got them but not gonna complain!
yeah, i always say I'm gonna read instead but it never happens.
yeah, I'm really looking forward to it, which week r u doing it?
thanks, not entirely sure how i got them but not gonna complain!
yeah, i always say I'm gonna read instead but it never happens.
yeah, I'm really looking forward to it, which week r u doing it?

I’m not quite sure which week I’m doing, as I haven’t signed up yet. I will probably be doing on the weeks in July. Will let you the exact dates when I sign up.
Which week are you doing it?
Original post by nyxnko_
You silly! Don't stay up late to watch Netflix! You can always do it tomorrow :tongue:
Homework is used to put off revision! :yes: (don't actually follow that advice)
At least walking is good for you. My current obsession is to see how many hours a day I can stare at a screen :colondollar:
Honestly, same. A3 paper is kinda like sacred paper.. only for special occasions!

i try not to but there's just something about the next episode button that i have to press…
yes! i prefer getting homework cos then there's something to do, rather than having to figure out how to revise or what to do
i try not to but there's just something about the next episode button that i have to press…
yes! i prefer getting homework cos then there's something to do, rather than having to figure out how to revise or what to do

Fair enough but don't do it too often :hugs:
yeah :tongue: planning revision can get so time-consuming that i spend more time planning than actually revising :colondollar:
Original post by laurawatt
Haha I find revision easier than homeworks (I do revision and then out homework off until the last minute :tongue:)
Yeeee Harry Potter! :woo:

Also get some sleep! :fuhrer:

i mean technically i got about 6 and a half hours which isn't too bad but yeah, I'm gonna try not to stay up so late tonight.

i love harry potter, I'm planning a harry potter marathon for my birthday january time!
Original post by nyxnko_
Fair enough but don't do it too often :hugs:
yeah :tongue: planning revision can get so time-consuming that i spend more time planning than actually revising :colondollar:

so relatable! procrastinating as well is something i excel in… like doing this blog..
Original post by CosmicDust
I’m not quite sure which week I’m doing, as I haven’t signed up yet. I will probably be doing on the weeks in July. Will let you the exact dates when I sign up.
Which week are you doing it?

I'm doing the first week in july - i think it starts 8th of july, for 4 weeks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending