The Student Room Group

Hmm.. can I be a teacher?

I'm currently doing my A-Levels and due to finish them next year, and one career idea of mine is to become a law teacher for A-Level students

What I'm confused about is, can I become a teacher without a law degree? Can I do a law apprenticeship/ degree-apprenticeship instead and do it that way? Thanks!

Edit: I study law at college, probably an important fact :tongue:
(edited 5 years ago)
To teach a subject in state secondary schools you need an undergraduate degree, usually in the subject you want to teach.

In a further education college, this would matter less.

Do be aware there isn't that much of a demand for law teachers/full time law teachers, you may be better doing something like history and teaching law as an extra subject.
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
To teach a subject in state secondary schools you need an undergraduate degree, usually in the subject you want to teach.

In a further education college, this would matter less.

Do be aware there isn't that much of a demand for law teachers/full time law teachers, you may be better doing something like history and teaching law as an extra subject.

Thank you muchly! I plan on possibly doing criminology with law with the open university so I have a backup of teaching criminology (I know it's not in demand but I can try!) if law isn't possible
Original post by Ellise001
Thank you muchly! I plan on possibly doing criminology with law with the open university so I have a backup of teaching criminology (I know it's not in demand but I can try!) if law isn't possible

There really isn't any demand for 'teachers in criminology'. As @SarcAndSpark says, you'd be much better advised to do a more mainstream subject if your end objective is to teach.
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
There really isn't any demand for 'teachers in criminology'. As @SarcAndSpark says, you'd be much better advised to do a more mainstream subject if your end objective is to teach.

I feel like I'm more inclined to become a teacher if I could do the teaching qualifications after an apprenticeship/degree-apprenticeship, and with that it's unlikely I could teach a mainstream subject as well but I'll weigh my pros and cons later. Not saying that uni for me isn't a bad idea, I'm just more focused on staying at home and getting as prepared as I can for life
I feel like I'm more inclined to become a teacher if I could do the teaching qualifications after an apprenticeship/degree-apprenticeship, and with that it's unlikely I could teach a mainstream subject as well but I'll weigh my pros and cons later. Not saying that uni for me isn't a bad idea, I'm just more focused on staying at home and getting as prepared as I can for life

That's fair enough I think :smile:

I don't disagree with your perspective but if you want to teach in a UK state school, you will need to do a degree at some stage.

Apprenticeships are very vocational- it seems odd that this is the route you'd want to follow if you don't actually want to work in the sector.
Reply 7
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I don't disagree with your perspective but if you want to teach in a UK state school, you will need to do a degree at some stage.

Apprenticeships are very vocational- it seems odd that this is the route you'd want to follow if you don't actually want to work in the sector.

I suppose I'll learn on the job if that's what I go for, either that or go to uni :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending