The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by misacam
Hiya, I'm thinking about exeter.
gcse: 10 A* alevel: 3A* UKCAT: 735 band 1
With the tiered system, is it not possible to get tier 1 if you have not achieved any alevel grades yet because 3A* predicted is in tier 2?
Does this put me at a disadvantage?

You will 100% get an interview with those stats, I’d eat my hat if you didn’t. Last year everybody in Tier 1 got an interview and then Tier 2 had a UKCAT cutoff of about 667. Everybody in Tiers 3 and 4 got rejected. You’re in Tier 2 with an exceptional UKCAT score so you’ll be fine! I’d definitely apply here, it suits your stats!
Reply 21
Original post by misacam
Hiya, I'm thinking about exeter.
gcse: 10 A* alevel: 3A* UKCAT: 735 band 1
With the tiered system, is it not possible to get tier 1 if you have not achieved any alevel grades yet because 3A* predicted is in tier 2?
Does this put me at a disadvantage?

Well yes, to a degree, as tier 1 is above tier 2! The last 2 years all of tier 1 have been interviewed and there has then been a UKCAT cut off applied in tier 2 of around 667, so anybody above this was interviewed, anybody below it wasn't
if im predicted A*A*A with 667.5 ukcat could i possible get an interview?
Reply 23
Original post by Peysarlar
if im predicted A*A*A with 667.5 ukcat could i possible get an interview?

A*A*A predicted would put yu in the 3rd tier. FOr the last 2 years cut off has been in the 2nd tier (A*A*A* predicted or A*A*A achieved) with a UKCAT of 667 as well last year
Do you think now the ukcat decile boundaries have changed that 2A* 2 A achieved (A level) plus 10 A* gcse plus 655 ukcat (8th decile) now would get an interview?
Reply 25
Original post by silverbirch1
Do you think now the ukcat decile boundaries have changed that 2A* 2 A achieved (A level) plus 10 A* gcse plus 655 ukcat (8th decile) now would get an interview?

The cut off last year was just below the top of the 7th decile, so you have don ebetter than that. Also, Exeter have 80 extra places this year, so should interview more applicants. I would have thought you stood a reasonable chance, but it depends how badly you want to go to Exeter, I guess!
Original post by silverbirch1

655 is most definitely not 8th decile, I got 675 and just about got in the 8th decile.
Reply 27
Original post by amamanon
655 is most definitely not 8th decile, I got 675 and just about got in the 8th decile.

Most definitely is!
This year, 675 is in the 9th decile
Original post by GANFYD
Most definitely is!
This year, 675 is in the 9th decile

Ummmm, look at: https://www.ukcat.ac.uk/media/1266/2018-test-statistics-oct-2018.pdf
If you look at the deciles, 7th decile is 2610, therefore, you are just about in the 7th decile. The 8th decile is 2690 so my score of 2700 is just about in the 8th decile. The 9th decile is in fact 2810 so I'm nowhere near that. What this means is that you got a better score than 70% of test takers.
Reply 29
Ummmm, look at: https://www.ukcat.ac.uk/media/1266/2018-test-statistics-oct-2018.pdf
If you look at the deciles, 7th decile is 2610, therefore, you are just about in the 7th decile. The 8th decile is 2690 so my score of 2700 is just about in the 8th decile. The 9th decile is in fact 2810 so I'm nowhere near that. What this means is that you got a better score than 70% of test takers.

Thank you, that is the document I got my information from, though I do recognise it is confusing to interpret.
Thr top of the 7th decile is 2610 and the top of the 8th decile is 2690, so the poster who asked is in the 8th decile, you are in the 9th

See post #1966 here for further explanation, where sonebody had interprested it in a similar way to you

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4940004&p=80066540&page=99&highlight=#post80066540

UKCAT state:
"The 1st decile represents a score at the 10th percentile; the 2nd decile represents a score at the 20th percentile, and so on."
So anything between 11 and 20 is 2nd decile? Hence anything between 71 and 80 is 8th decile.

This comes up every year and UKCAT have clarified it multiple times on their Twitter feed. So unless they have decided to do it differently this year, they are in the 8th decile.
In your system, what decile is somebody at the 5th percentile in? The 0th? And in the 95th percentile? Would that be the 9th? Are you saying UKCAT run a decile system from the 0th decile to the 9th?
I think it is the 1st to the 10th, as they state in their explanation: the 1st decile is a score at the 10th percentile
Reply 30

Thank you, that is the document I got my information from, though I do recognise it is confusing to interpret.
The top of the 7th decile is 2610 and the top of the 8th decile is 2690, so the poster who asked is in the 8th decile, you are in the 9th

Deciles work like centuries; the 1900s are the 20th century, the 1700s the 18th century. Or decades, when you are in your 20s you are in yout 3rd decade, when you are in your 50s, you are in your 6th decade. Somebody in the 8th decile has a score from 71-80% and somebody in the 9th decile a score from 81-90%

See post #1966 here for further explanation, where somebody had interpreted it in a similar way to you

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4940004&p=80066540&page=99&highlight=#post80066540

UKCAT state:
"The 1st decile represents a score at the 10th percentile; the 2nd decile represents a score at the 20th percentile, and so on"
So anything between 11 and 20 is 2nd decile? Hence anything between 71 and 80 is 8th decile.

This comes up every year and UKCAT have clarified it multiple times on their Twitter feed. So unless they have decided to do it differently this year, they are in the 8th decile.
In your system, what decile is somebody at the 5th percentile in? The 0th? And in the 95th percentile? Would that be the 9th? Are you saying UKCAT run a decile system from the 0th decile to the 9th?
I think it is the 1st to the 10th, as they state in their explanation: the 1st decile is a score at the 10th percentile
(edited 5 years ago)
How likely am I to get an interview with Tier 4?
Reply 32
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
How likely am I to get an interview with Tier 4?

Do you have contextual flags? The last 2 years, cut off has been in tier 2 and needing a UKCAT score of 667 as well
Reply 33
Original post by GANFYD
The last 2 years, cut off has been in tier 2 and needing a UKCAT score of 667 as well

Do you think this year Tier 2 with a UKCAT score at 645 can be competitive??
Thanks
How do they use contextual data? I believe I will meet the requirements and from looking at the 2018 thread, it looks like they lower the requirements, someone got an interview with AAA predict
Reply 35
Original post by mamtat
Do you think this year Tier 2 with a UKCAT score at 645 can be competitive??
Thanks

I have never understood how Exeter have maintained their admission requirements as both multiple A*s at A level AND a high UKCAT. The equivalent of 667 in last year’s deciles is around the 650 mark, so I would have thought it stands a chance. Depends how badly you want to go to Exeter and what your other options are, I guess
Reply 36
Original post by GANFYD
I have never understood how Exeter have maintained their admission requirements as both multiple A*s at A level AND a high UKCAT. The equivalent of 667 in last year’s deciles is around the 650 mark, so I would have thought it stands a chance. Depends how badly you want to go to Exeter and what your other options are, I guess

Thank you very much
Does anyone know how the tier system works with IB points?
Also, I have already achieved a 6 and a 7; I was predicted a 7 for my last HL. What tier would that be?
I am in a gap year, I have applied for Exeter medical school. I have got A level grades AABB and UKCAT 2630. I have contextual flags. Any chance to get a reduced offer please?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Fatima20000
I am in a gap year, I have applied for Exeter medical school. I have got A level grades AABB and UKCAT 2630. I have contextual flags. Any chance to get a reduced offer please?

Yes, you are in the top tier as you are contextual (like me) so you are guaranteed an interview, and if you are made an offer it would be ABB, but you have achieved grades, so it would be unconditional anyways :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending