The Student Room Group

Explore Learning Interview *please help*

Hey guys,

I have an interview with explore learning next week, and I have been given the format of the interview (1:1 interview, group task, observation and english/maths test). It says that the maths questions do not surpass KS3, but I haven't done any maths past primary age for 6 years so I'm pretty nervous about it. Has anyone had an interview here and could shed light on the kind of maths and english questions they were asked? If it was GCSE questions then I'm happy to brush up on things (and I am planning to look on BBC bitesize etc), but don't want to do too much on it if it isn't necessary. I did explain that I was out of practice for secondary school so would need to go over things, but was happy to do so (which I am), its just that the interview is less than a week away so it's a bit tricky. Any advice in general about explore learning assessment centres/similar job interviews would be appreciated! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

the maths test wasn't too hard for me, i wouldn't worry about it:smile: i had stuff like percentages on there but it's not super difficult. just go over your non calc math skills and other bits, but hardcore revision isn't necessary.
i got rejected after interview unfortunately; they like it when you take initative with the kids, eg going to more than one of them and helping them and talking w/ them. being confident in the interview and being able to develop your answers will help. (saying this as part of the feedback i got following my interview)
Original post by entertainmyfaith
the maths test wasn't too hard for me, i wouldn't worry about it:smile: i had stuff like percentages on there but it's not super difficult. just go over your non calc math skills and other bits, but hardcore revision isn't necessary.
i got rejected after interview unfortunately; they like it when you take initative with the kids, eg going to more than one of them and helping them and talking w/ them. being confident in the interview and being able to develop your answers will help. (saying this as part of the feedback i got following my interview)

Okay thank you! Yes, I was certainly planning to try and talk to most, if not all, of the kids during the observation section and ask them about what they're doing etc. I'm also worried about the group task. Also, what do you mean by develop your answers? Like expand upon points, link points etc? I just hope it all goes okay because I could really do with this job. At least it'll be experience if nothing else!
Original post by lauraaaaa
Okay thank you! Yes, I was certainly planning to try and talk to most, if not all, of the kids during the observation section and ask them about what they're doing etc. I'm also worried about the group task. Also, what do you mean by develop your answers? Like expand upon points, link points etc? I just hope it all goes okay because I could really do with this job. At least it'll be experience if nothing else!

you'll just be working with some other candidates on scenarios etc it's nothing too stressful. and yeah, developing your answers like that:smile:
you'll just be working with some other candidates on scenarios etc it's nothing too stressful. and yeah, developing your answers like that:smile:

Okay, I'm hoping for the best! Even if i'm not successful, I just hope it doesn't go awfully!
Okay, I'm hoping for the best! Even if i'm not successful, I just hope it doesn't go awfully!

good luck!:smile: even if it doesn't, at least you've gained some experience!
good luck!:smile: even if it doesn't, at least you've gained some experience!

Yeah I’m just gonna hope for the best! Also, could I just ask whether the maths and English tests are multiple choice? I’m guessing not! I’ve also seen lots of reviews suggesting that they had to teach a particular maths question to an adult pretending to be a child. Did you do that, actually interact with the kids or both? The interview isn’t until the end of next week and I swear I’ll have had a mental breakdown before then 😂
Yeah I’m just gonna hope for the best! Also, could I just ask whether the maths and English tests are multiple choice? I’m guessing not! I’ve also seen lots of reviews suggesting that they had to teach a particular maths question to an adult pretending to be a child. Did you do that, actually interact with the kids or both? The interview isn’t until the end of next week and I swear I’ll have had a mental breakdown before then 😂

mix of multiple choice and writing your own answers:smile: i didn't have to teach maths no, was just talking/helping kids but it might be different for each explore learning centre.
mix of multiple choice and writing your own answers:smile: i didn't have to teach maths no, was just talking/helping kids but it might be different for each explore learning centre.

Okay great, thank you! I'm working through the KS3 section of bbc bitesize this weekend, and then the primary curriculum during the week, in the hopes that that will be enough! I feel like there's a lot to prepare in a short space of time haha
I've been working with Explore for a couple of years now. In the interview they like you to have done your research about the company, at the minute we are starting our national young mathematicians competition which would be worth you looking into and mentiong in the interview, or talk about it if they ask if you have any questions.
The maths test is nothing to be worried about, they are just making sure you are capable of basic baths, if I can remember correctly from my maths test (2+ years ago) there were ratios, multiplication, division and a bit of algebra. In my English test I had to write a paragraph about education, so they were just looking at my spelling and such.
Hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask. Within the company I am a campus representative, so I look for potential new tutors and spread the word and such.
Okay great, thank you! I'm working through the KS3 section of bbc bitesize this weekend, and then the primary curriculum during the week, in the hopes that that will be enough! I feel like there's a lot to prepare in a short space of time haha

i wouldn't stress about it, there's only so much preparation you can do but i'd definitely prepare some stuff for the interview:yep:
Hey guys,

I have an interview with explore learning next week, and I have been given the format of the interview (1:1 interview, group task, observation and english/maths test). It says that the maths questions do not surpass KS3, but I haven't done any maths past primary age for 6 years so I'm pretty nervous about it. Has anyone had an interview here and could shed light on the kind of maths and english questions they were asked? If it was GCSE questions then I'm happy to brush up on things (and I am planning to look on BBC bitesize etc), but don't want to do too much on it if it isn't necessary. I did explain that I was out of practice for secondary school so would need to go over things, but was happy to do so (which I am), its just that the interview is less than a week away so it's a bit tricky. Any advice in general about explore learning assessment centres/similar job interviews would be appreciated! :smile:

Honestly, the test is pretty basic, anyone above the age of 12 should be able to do it. As long as you don’t come across as a ********, you will be fine.
i wouldn't stress about it, there's only so much preparation you can do but i'd definitely prepare some stuff for the interview:yep:

Original post by Captain Holt
Honestly, the test is pretty basic, anyone above the age of 12 should be able to do it. As long as you don’t come across as a ********, you will be fine.

I’m hoping for the best! I don’t think I’ll get it though because I mainly do primary, but I did say I was willing to put in the work to bring my secondary knowledge back up, so you never know! It feels like torture having to wait for it ahah
I’m hoping for the best! I don’t think I’ll get it though because I mainly do primary, but I did say I was willing to put in the work to bring my secondary knowledge back up, so you never know! It feels like torture having to wait for it ahah

I’ve been working at Explore Learning for 3 months now and what I’ve seen is that the children in secondary school will generally do the work themselves and rarely ask for help. Most of your time will be dedicated towards the younger kids. But honestly, as long as you’re fun and engaging and come across like that in your interview I have no doubt you would get the job.
I’ve been working at Explore Learning for 3 months now and what I’ve seen is that the children in secondary school will generally do the work themselves and rarely ask for help. Most of your time will be dedicated towards the younger kids. But honestly, as long as you’re fun and engaging and come across like that in your interview I have no doubt you would get the job.

Ah okay that’s re-assuring! What sort of level was the maths and English test e.g what was a typical question for them? I’ve got an A in both at GCSE, but it was a while ago so I just want to know how much prep to do! Also, how do you find working there? 😊
Ah okay that’s re-assuring! What sort of level was the maths and English test e.g what was a typical question for them? I’ve got an A in both at GCSE, but it was a while ago so I just want to know how much prep to do! Also, how do you find working there? 😊

The test is a low KS3 level imo. Make sure you can do column multiplication, column subtraction and long division, as those are essential if I’m remembering correctly. The English stuff is just spotting mistakes in a paragraph, so make sure your grammar is on point!

Honestly, I actually enjoy working at Explore so much (which makes up for the really crap pay). It does get a bit hectic at times but it’s really fun most of the time!
The test is a low KS3 level imo. Make sure you can do column multiplication, column subtraction and long division, as those are essential if I’m remembering correctly. The English stuff is just spotting mistakes in a paragraph, so make sure your grammar is on point!

Honestly, I actually enjoy working at Explore so much (which makes up for the really crap pay). It does get a bit hectic at times but it’s really fun most of the time!

Ah okay, I can do those so that should be okay! For English, do I need to know the definitions/examples of terms such as fronted adverbials etc, or is it more such as 'here is an incorrect place for a paragraph, there are too many conjunctions/it should be two sentences'. Although the latter seems a little too easy :| ah that's good to hear, what is your rate of pay?
Ah okay, I can do those so that should be okay! For English, do I need to know the definitions/examples of terms such as fronted adverbials etc, or is it more such as 'here is an incorrect place for a paragraph, there are too many conjunctions/it should be two sentences'. Although the latter seems a little too easy :| ah that's good to hear, what is your rate of pay?

Ngl, never heard of a fronted adverbial in my life😂, honestly it’s quite obvious once you see it.
Ngl, never heard of a fronted adverbial in my life😂, honestly it’s quite obvious once you see it.

Haha I'll take that as a no then! Just hoping for the best really, and trying to prep as much as possible. Quite nervous about the observation as well because I definitely need to get involved so I'm hoping the kids will be receptive haha
The maths and English tests were very basic, I had to write an essay on a subject (I can't remember what, I got the job 2 years ago and quit after a year of working there). I think I finished the maths test in about 5 minutes, honestly just brush up on non-calc and you'll be fine. Good luck and I hope your Explore career goes better than mine, I found I was massively underpaid and the stress of a part-time job was not worth it. I moved to a tea rooms and waitressed, I actually got paid more when you included tips than I did at Explore and it was so much easier. My managers all changed (my center has 1 director and 2 assistant directors and I must have had at least 7 different people in the 12 months I worked there). I did honestly feel like the parents were being ripped off and that it wasn't value for money- I definitely would never send my kids there or recommend it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending