I'll start us off:
Chemistry with a year in industry
Oxford, Edinburgh, York, Bristol!
I do IB HL Biology, Chemistry, Economics SL Maths, English, Spanish
GCSE: 7A* 2A 1B
I do hockey, piano, cello, violin, and I'm in the orchestra

@Puddles the Monkey

Scroll to see replies

Stickied the thread for you :smile: Good luck with your applications, I'm impressed you've made your choices already!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by mj.tan
I guess it's never too early to start!

Course:
Universities:
A level / IB / Higher grades:
GCSE grades:
Extracurriculars:

I'll start us off:
Chemistry with a year in industry
Oxford, Edinburgh, York, Bristol!
I do IB HL Biology, Chemistry, Economics SL Maths, English, Spanish
GCSE: 7A* 2A 1B
I do hockey, piano, cello, violin, and I'm in the orchestra

@Puddles the Monkey

make sure those extra-curriculars go in your teacher's Reference and not your personal statement (save for a very small paragraph at most)
I'm tempted to apply for International Relations, but I'm not sure if it's worth the risk?

I've been predicted A*AA, with GCSEs of 8x A and 1x B.

Other 'aspiration' choices include Durham and Cambridge, my other 3 are relatively safe. I'm not sure if I should replace Durham or Bristol with St Andrews, since they're the two I'm most willing to give up.
Reply 4
Biochem starting from Y2
Oxford, Edinburgh, Durham, Bristol
A level (achieved 2018) A*AA (Chem, maths, bio)
GCSE 1A*6A2B1C

Submitted UCAS the other day - Edinburgh asked me to submit additional info to determine the fees I will pay (im a dual national) St. Andrews sent an email saying I should get an email “shortly” with my fee status but I haven’t received it yet and to contact them if I don’t. Has anyone else received an email from st Andrews stating their fee status? And did anyone else get asked to do the questionnaire for Edinburgh?
Course: Computer Science (perhaps cs and mathematics, depending on what i think after the open day)
Other Universities: Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Durham
A level / IB / Higher grades: A* in maths (year early), predicted A*A* in F. maths and physics
GCSE grades: 2 9s 1 8 5A*s 3 As
Extracurriculars: very little, although i've done quite a lot of further reading
Course: Physics
Universities: Oxford, Durham, Lancaster, Bristol and St Andrews
A level / IB / Higher grades: A*A*A*A* predicted
GCSE grades: 9A*s and 2As (or 9, 8, 7, 7A*s and an A)
Extracurriculars: Do memes count? :frown:
Original post by Fonzworth
I'm tempted to apply for International Relations, but I'm not sure if it's worth the risk?

Other 'aspiration' choices include Durham and Cambridge, my other 3 are relatively safe. I'm not sure if I should replace Durham or Bristol with St Andrews, since they're the two I'm most willing to give up.

I would apply if you really like the course! You meet/exceed the grades for it.
Original post by physconomics
Course: Physics
Universities: Oxford, Durham, Lancaster, Bristol and St Andrews
A level / IB / Higher grades: A*A*A*A* predicted
GCSE grades: 9A*s and 2As (or 9, 8, 7, 7A*s and an A)
Extracurriculars: Do memes count? :frown:

People like memes here :lol: so I guess it works :tongue:
Reply 9
Oh I'm applying for Chemistry as well.
I'm also applying to Cambridge, Durham, Nottingham and York for Natural Sciences.
I'm predicted A*A*A*A for A-levels with 8A*s, 2As, 77 and a B at GCSE.
(edited 5 years ago)
I've just added this to a huge list of similar threads HERE. Check it out to find applicants threads for other universities you're applying to, and for you courses as well.

Good luck everyone.
Original post by Fonzworth

Hi I am in a similar position in that I want to apply but not sure if I would get in, mainly because I am an EU applicant so dont have to pay the fees and its an unspoken truth that St Andrews favours international students, then those from the rest of the Uk, then home students and finally us, which means that for a course like IR which is already competitive it is even more so for me.
I have;
Predicted: 4A*s
AS grades: 4As
Gcse: 5A*s 4As 1C
Original post by richardsmith
Hi I am in a similar position in that I want to apply but not sure if I would get in, mainly because I am an EU applicant so dont have to pay the fees and its an unspoken truth that St Andrews favours international students, then those from the rest of the Uk, then home students and finally us, which means that for a course like IR which is already competitive it is even more so for me.
I have;
Predicted: 4A*s
AS grades: 4As
Gcse: 5A*s 4As 1C

I would say go for it if you really want to. The main reason I’m sceptical about applying is because I’m limited to 5 choices, and I’m interested in about 8 universities.
Hiya! International Computer Science Applicant (probably 5 years in/c Masters) here

My GCSE Grades: A* Distinction
(I am an international student so I did not take GCSEs formally but I do take two maths for pure interest)

ASes did: 4As with full UMS in all Maths Units
Predicted Grades for A Levels: 5A*s (will be taking FMaths AS+A2 in Year 13)

Also applying: Cambridge, Imperial, Southampton, Bristol

Does anyone have much clue about when we will start to receive interview invitations?
The application status on 'My Application' is still checking application.
Original post by cholelwt
Hiya! International Computer Science Applicant (probably 5 years in/c Masters) here

My GCSE Grades: A* Distinction
(I am an international student so I did not take GCSEs formally but I do take two maths for pure interest)

ASes did: 4As with full UMS in all Maths Units
Predicted Grades for A Levels: 5A*s (will be taking FMaths AS+A2 in Year 13)

Also applying: Cambridge, Imperial, Southampton, Bristol

Does anyone have much clue about when we will start to receive interview invitations?
The application status on 'My Application' is still checking application.

St Andrews only interviews applicants for medicine and some 'gateway' courses, so you won't be getting an invitation to interview; just wait for the final result and good luck!

(See the info at the bottom of this page: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/apply/ug/)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Pfalzgraf
St Andrews only interviews applicants for medicine and some 'gateway' courses, so you won't be getting an invitation to interview; just wait for the final result and good luck!

(See the info at the bottom of this page: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/apply/ug/)

Oooh thanks
Course: English
Universities: St Andrews, Warwick, Edinburgh (not sure on the rest yet.
A level / IB / Higher grades: Predicted A*A*AA
GCSE grades: 2 A’s 5 B’s and 1 C (not great ah)
Extracurriculars: All I bloody do is read tbh, watch a lot of theatre, martial arts, write poetry, teach myself mandarin for absolutely no reason.

I probably have no chance of getting in but i’d hate myself if I didn’t at least try. Really hoping to prove myself in my personal statement but ahhhh
(edited 5 years ago)
International student from the US applied for IR
Also, sent in an application to Edinburgh, Glasgow, and KCL
Extracurriculars: chief of staff for mock legislature and court, foreign affairs newspaper editor, camp director, and employed
Course: Psychology MA
Universities: St Andrews, Oxford, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Glasgow
A level grades: Psychology: A* English Literature: A* English Language: A* Maths (AS): A
GCSE grades: 999A*A*A*A*AB

Application sent: 09/10//18
Reply 19
Course: Physics (MPhys)
Universities: Oxford, Lancaster, Queen's Belfast, Durham
A level / IB / Higher grades: 4A* (physics, maths, further maths, chemistry)
GCSE grades: 7A* 1A 9 88
Extracurriculars: Robotics club (entering Vex Robotics competitions), running lower school science club, running school's lgbt group

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending