The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

how can admission compare UKCAT and UKCAT SEN? do they have conversion rates for people who get extra time? and how do they assess whether it is a true medical issue that they need extra time?
Reply 61
Original post by Ipiranga
I received an e mail from Edinburgh which stated that only 1% receive a score of 6 and they cannot give out the % for a score of 5
Just interested in where you found the 10% figure from?

From a previous Selectors Handbook, where the information given was as below (so this would have suggested 20% fall into the "Good" category):

POOR
no or minimal evidence of suitability for a medical course and career
no or minimal evidence of insight into medical education & practice
no or minimal relevant activities & achievements

AVERAGE
suitable for a medical course
average evidence of insight into medical education & practice
most activities have been taken prior to application

GOOD
highly suitable for a medical course
good evidence of insight into medical education & practice
high level of achievement and non-academic ability demonstrated prior to application

EXCELLENT
clear evidence that the applicant is outstanding (top 10%) in the applicant pool
where the level of achievement is at an outstanding level or a high level in several areas of endeavour

COMMENTS It would be extremely helpful for the Admissions Office to have comments added in the notes field of the scoring sheet. If an applicant requests feedback then these comments can be used to form part of the feedback.

Approximately 30% of applicants should fall into the good/excellent category
Original post by GANFYD
From a previous Selectors Handbook, where the information given was as below (so this would have suggested 20% fall into the "Good" category):

POOR
no or minimal evidence of suitability for a medical course and career
no or minimal evidence of insight into medical education & practice
no or minimal relevant activities & achievements

AVERAGE
suitable for a medical course
average evidence of insight into medical education & practice
most activities have been taken prior to application

GOOD
highly suitable for a medical course
good evidence of insight into medical education & practice
high level of achievement and non-academic ability demonstrated prior to application

EXCELLENT
clear evidence that the applicant is outstanding (top 10%) in the applicant pool
where the level of achievement is at an outstanding level or a high level in several areas of endeavour

COMMENTS It would be extremely helpful for the Admissions Office to have comments added in the notes field of the scoring sheet. If an applicant requests feedback then these comments can be used to form part of the feedback.

Approximately 30% of applicants should fall into the good/excellent category

Ah ok thanks for this
Hi, I am in desperate need of some advice on whether or not to apply to Edinburgh. I am a Scottish school leaver with 7A’s at N5, 5A’s at Higher and predicated AAAA at Advanced Higher.

I have a UKCAT average of 690 and band 2 (😫)

Any advice would be much appreciated 😬😊
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by Ayesh1098
Hi, I am in desperate need of some advice on whether or not to apply to Edinburgh. I am a Scottish school leaver with 7A’s at N5, 5A’s at Higher and predicated AAAA at Advanced Higher.

I have a UKCAT average of 690 and band 2 (😫)

Any advice would be much appreciated 😬😊

Provided your non-academic stuff adds up you have a very good chance of getting an offer as you have full marks in the academics. The band 2 will mean you lose 2 marks but you should be fine. I got an offer last year with 695 Band 1 but lost 2 marks on academics as I was predicted a B, so our scores would’ve been the same on that front, and I wouldn’t say my non-academic stuff was super strong. Hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions, I’m currently 3 weeks into the course here :smile:
What are the scores for each part of the application?
Reply 66
I'm thinking of applying to edinburgh but i'm not really sure if i'll get an offer

GCSE- 8A* 2As
AS - 4As
A2 predicited - 3A*
loads of work experience and a pretty strong PS
UKCAT - 2530 band 2 (which is what Im worried about)

Any suggestions???
Reply 67
Original post by RiaP123
I'm thinking of applying to edinburgh but i'm not really sure if i'll get an offer

GCSE- 8A* 2As
AS - 4As
A2 predicited - 3A*

Any suggestions???

You lose 2 points for SJT and probably 4 for UKCAT. This already means you cannot make the historical lowest cut offs, even if you score full marks on PS, sorry. If you like it a lot, you could take a risk on cut offs dropping, but they have been stable for years and you have many safer options
Original post by RiaP123

GCSE- 8A* 2As
AS - 4As
A2 predicited - 3A*

Any suggestions???

This year ukcat will be lower cut off. If you really like the school and have other safe options go for it
Original post by GANFYD
You lose 2 points for SJT and probably 4 for UKCAT. This already means you cannot make the historical lowest cut offs, even if you score full marks on PS, sorry. If you like it a lot, you could take a risk on cut offs dropping, but they have been stable for years and you have many safer options

I disagree, I doubt she will lose 4 points for UKCAT as the UKCAT results this year were historically low, meaning the decile/octile cutoffs will be lower. If your personal statement is strong on the non-academic front I would definitely go for it RiaP123
Reply 70
Original post by Davo123
I disagree, I doubt she will lose 4 points for UKCAT as the UKCAT results this year were historically low, meaning the decile/octile cutoffs will be lower. If your personal statement is strong on the non-academic front I would definitely go for it RiaP123

Edinburgh use the scores of their own applicants to set their octiles, not Pearson Vue's deciles, and it is unlikely they will drop as far as the deciles as very few people with lower UKCAT scores will apply.
I have already based the scoring on an octile higher than that which 2530 would have fallen in 3 out of the last 4 years.
If we take the octiles down a whole 50 points, OP will lose 2 points for SJT and 3 for UKCAT, meaning she is still below the cut off score required in 3 out of the last 4 years even if scoring full marks for PS (which Edinburgh have suggested only 10% of applicants should do).

My original advice of "If you like it a lot, you could take a risk on cut offs dropping, but they have been stable for years and you have many safer options" still stands. To need to score full marks on PS and still hope the cut offs drop to "historical lows" is a risk that I would feel is only worth taking if @RiaP123 is very keen on Edinburgh
When grading your academic score, will they automatically account english within that whatever your predicted or will they take your best subjects. For example, I am doing 8 Higher Level Irish Leaving Cert Subjects but 6 is only required and 6 is marked on the application. I have been predcited 6 H1's and 2 H2's with a H2 in english. From what I gathered they give six academic points for 6 H1's, but only 4 for 4-5 H1's and the rest H2's. Which predcited grade will they use, because I fear if I drop 2 points by each selector for academic it puts me in a really bad spot. Also if someone has the points allocated for the different areas of the application could they please share it. Thanks!
Reply 72
Original post by GANFYD

Original post by Mothergoose
This year ukcat will be lower cut off. If you really like the school and have other safe options go for it

Original post by Davo123

Original post by GANFYD
Edinburgh use the scores of their own applicants to set their octiles, not Pearson Vue's deciles, and it is unlikely they will drop as far as the deciles as very few people with lower UKCAT scores will apply.
I have already based the scoring on an octile higher than that which 2530 would have fallen in 3 out of the last 4 years.
If we take the octiles down a whole 50 points, OP will lose 2 points for SJT and 3 for UKCAT, meaning she is still below the cut off score required in 3 out of the last 4 years even if scoring full marks for PS (which Edinburgh have suggested only 10% of applicants should do).

My original advice of "If you like it a lot, you could take a risk on cut offs dropping, but they have been stable for years and you have many safer options" still stands. To need to score full marks on PS and still hope the cut offs drop to "historical lows" is a risk that I would feel is only worth taking if @RiaP123 is very keen on Edinburgh

Thanks for all your help guys. I'm sort of in between glasgow, edinburgh and st. georges london for my final choice. The only thing holding me back is my UKCAT, even if the boundaries go down which one would I most likely get an interview from?? The other places I'm thinking of applying are QUB aberdeen and leicester.
Reply 73
Original post by slynch6020
When grading your academic score, will they automatically account english within that whatever your predicted or will they take your best subjects. For example, I am doing 8 Higher Level Irish Leaving Cert Subjects but 6 is only required and 6 is marked on the application. I have been predcited 6 H1's and 2 H2's with a H2 in english. From what I gathered they give six academic points for 6 H1's, but only 4 for 4-5 H1's and the rest H2's. Which predcited grade will they use, because I fear if I drop 2 points by each selector for academic it puts me in a really bad spot. Also if someone has the points allocated for the different areas of the application could they please share it. Thanks!

https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/mbchb_handbook_2019_approved.pdf
20 points academic, 6 points SJT, 8 points UKCAT and 6 points PS
Reply 74
Original post by RiaP123
Thanks for all your help guys. I'm sort of in between glasgow, edinburgh and st. georges london for my final choice. The only thing holding me back is my UKCAT, even if the boundaries go down which one would I most likely get an interview from?? The other places I'm thinking of applying are QUB aberdeen and leicester.

Of the 3 you mention, I suspect you have the best chance at SGUL, but you have safer options than all 3?
Cardiff (if your A*s are A*s or 9s), UEA, Plymouth, St Andrews, ARU, Aston would all be good choices for you. Also Nottingham should be OK if your GCSEs A*s are core subjects and your PS is good, and therefore Lincoln too?
Reply 75
Original post by GANFYD
Of the 3 you mention, I suspect you have the best chance at SGUL, but you have safer options than all 3?
Cardiff (if your A*s are A*s or 9s), UEA, Plymouth, St Andrews, ARU, Aston would all be good choices for you. Also Nottingham should be OK if your GCSEs A*s are core subjects and your PS is good, and therefore Lincoln too?

yeah I was thinking of cardiff but i chose leicester over it and both UEA and ARU rank by UKCAT for interview and ARU use it post interview rank too, so decided not to go with them I was hoping for scotland unis first as its a bit closer to home (NI) also whats the difference between nottingham- lincoln/ nottingham-derby do they have 2 medicine courses..?? They're website aren't too good telling them apart
Reply 76
Original post by RiaP123
yeah I was thinking of cardiff but i chose leicester over it and both UEA and ARU rank by UKCAT for interview and ARU use it post interview rank too, so decided not to go with them I was hoping for scotland unis first as its a bit closer to home (NI) also whats the difference between nottingham- lincoln/ nottingham-derby do they have 2 medicine courses..?? They're website aren't too good telling them apart

You can choose both Leicester and Cardiff?
UEA select on 66% GCSEs 33% UKCAT, but they do then use UKCAT post interview as 50% of scoring
There is a med school at Nottingham (Derby is one of their hospital sites) and this year, a med school at Lincoln which is being run in conjunction with Nottingham, and using the same selection scoring system. What is not clear is whether they wil have different cut offs (I suspect so), so that might be worth a phone call to clarify.
ARUs cut off last year was 620 and I don't think they use UKCAT post interview. They say "Offers are based solely on MMI ranking, as all applicants who have reached this stage will be considered to be academically able to complete the course."
I've tried using the pdf but it won't open could anyone calculate my score please thanks
I got:
4A*(including level 2 further maths) and 8As at GCSE
2A*s(maths and further maths) +2As(chem and Phys) at a level
790 Band 3(rip) in the Ukcat
Is it even worth me applying to Edinburgh?
Thanks in advance
Original post by Takeshi9980
I've tried using the pdf but it won't open could anyone calculate my score please thanks
I got:
4A*(including level 2 further maths) and 8As at GCSE
2A*s(maths and further maths) +2As(chem and Phys) at a level
790 Band 3(rip) in the Ukcat
Is it even worth me applying to Edinburgh?
Thanks in advance

It may depend slightly on your fee code, but if you’re RUK I think you would drop too many points on sjt and gcses
Hello! I'm an international student that is considering applying to Edinburgh medicine this year. I got 2940 for my UKCAT, Band 1 for SJT, 42/45 IB predicted and 7,7,7 for HL Chemistry, Biology and Psychology. I'm somewhat worried as I have seen people in other forums with scores 3000+ for the UKCAT and also since there are very limited seats for international students. Opinions on my chances are highly appreciated! Thank you!

Latest

Trending

Trending