The Student Room Group

I don’t feel like I can do well for GCSEs. Any help?

School already makes me feel emotionally drained. I’m in Year 11 and everyday I just become number and number - I can’t take it.

I procrastinate, I’m lazy and I’m a mess. Whenever I watch study youtubers giving advice on how to get grade 8s and 9s I feel like there’s hope but then immediately give up as I just can’t imagine someone as dumb and forgetful as me to be able to get good grades.

As the days go on I feel even dumber and inferior to everyone else as the more we learn in class the more I don’t understand and struggle whereas everyone else gets on with their work understanding it completely. When I talk about not understanding the work to my friends they either say “Ikr it’s so hard” even though they got all the questions right (-_- ) or they say “it’s either you get it or you don’t. I find it quite easy.” As the others would eagerly say “yea,yeah” and continue to brag about how they understand it.

I have my mocks in November and my German speaking mocks this month (October) . I haven’t started revising for any of them as I’m lost on what to do or how to revise for each subject and the main one that I’m lazy and procrastinate. Everyone in my Year loves to brag about how they started revising ‘since the start of Year 11’ or every single day they’ll update you about what they revised and for how long.

I sometimes just say “Okay. That’s nice.” or say “That’s great! I haven’t even started yet.” and then start laughing with them. Or sometimes I just lie and say that I started revising.

If I’m this much of a mess for my mocks I’m worried about my GCSEs. The amount of study YouTubers I watch that are in the same year as me but are studying everyday when they get home and are taking they’re life seriously really makes me envious or jealous idk anymore.

Sorry that this was long. I sounded quite spiteful. Please I just need any advice, I don’t really know what to start on for asking for advice - like an idiot I forgot what I mainly wanted to ask.
Sorry yet again.
What is your motivation?

What do you want to do in the future?

Work hard now and reap the rewards, obtaining GCSE qualifications give you sense of achievement and satisfaction. Make you parents proud.

Just try your best and if it doesn't work you can retake them, do an apprenticeship, BTEC etc.
I know what you mean, I'm only in year 10 and I'm already as worried and stressed as you, especially with all the pressure my school puts me in
Heya, search for my thread “how to get a grade 9” and see if that helps. All the best xx (and it really never is too late)
Hey!

First of all - don't get yourself in a panic yet. It is ONLY October. You have plenty of time to start revising! What I would say is focus the most on your Maths and English GCSEs - make sure you can get at least a B in both. If you're not feeling motivated, talk to your parents, your teachers, your friends, they can help you and maybe you should revise with your friends?

Don't waste your time watching YouTubers, and generally don't waste your life watching trash on the internet. Look at the specification for each subject and know what it is you need to learn. GCSEs are easy once you get the hang of it, and by the sounds of it you haven't really attempted to learn anything.

So, make small changes everyday, look/re-write your notes, practice exams, make a plan, write what you need to do, have organised folders and start now, it will get easier the more you do it and the more routine you have.

Don't mess your life up being lazy and having in your head that you cannot do it because well, why can't you? You can do anything you put your mind too. I believe in you! That's my advice :smile: I used to be like you and now I am studying at a top 25 university. You need to think long term, do you want a good job when you're older? So you can afford things and have a good life? Make your parents proud?

Of course you do, and you can! Just with time and effort. If you don't work hard now you will regret it when you're older and you're stuck in a low paying job with little job prospects. Work hard when you're young, your opportunities are endless. All the best Priya
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Analyst89
What is your motivation?

What do you want to do in the future?

Work hard now and reap the rewards, obtaining GCSE qualifications give you sense of achievement and satisfaction. Make you parents proud.

Just try your best and if it doesn't work you can retake them, do an apprenticeship, BTEC etc.

I have no motivation.

I don’t know what I want to be in the future.

I would like to make them proud but I don’t feel like it’s possibe. Thank you for responding though (^_^ )
Reply 6
Original post by pjethwastudent
Hey!

First of all - don't get yourself in a panic yet. It is ONLY October. You have plenty of time to start revising! What I would say is focus the most on your Maths and English GCSEs - make sure you can get at least a B in both. If you're not feeling motivated, talk to your parents, your teachers, your friends, they can help you and maybe you should revise with your friends?

Don't waste your time watching YouTubers, and generally don't waste your life watching trash on the internet. Look at the specification for each subject and know what it is you need to learn. GCSEs are easy once you get the hang of it, and by the sounds of it you haven't really attempted to learn anything.

So, make small changes everyday, look/re-write your notes, practice exams, make a plan, write what you need to do, have organised folders and start now, it will get easier the more you do it and the more routine you have.

Don't mess your life up being lazy and having in your head that you cannot do it because well, why can't you? You can do anything you put your mind too. I believe in you! That's my advice :smile: I used to be like you and now I am studying at a top 25 university. You need to think long term, do you want a good job when you're older? So you can afford things and have a good life? Make your parents proud?

Of course you do, and you can! Just with time and effort. If you don't work hard now you will regret it when you're older and you're stuck in a low paying job with little job prospects. Work hard when you're young, your opportunities are endless. All the best Priya

Thank you for your response (^~^ ) I felt happy and a little motivated - top 25 damn that’s awesome!

I can’t revise with my friends unfortunately or really talk to anyone about it. You’re right that I haven’t attempted to learn anything, you’re also right that I want a good job and want to afford things and make my parents proud - I just need to put in the effort.

Thanks for believing in me (^_^ ) I just need to care more about my life, which at the moment I definitely can’t do right now but hopefully I will (>~<👍)
Reply 7
Original post by zooxanthellae
Heya, search for my thread “how to get a grade 9” and see if that helps. All the best xx (and it really never is too late)

Thank you! Sure I’ll check it out.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
School already makes me feel emotionally drained. I’m in Year 11 and everyday I just become number and number - I can’t take it.

I procrastinate, I’m lazy and I’m a mess. Whenever I watch study youtubers giving advice on how to get grade 8s and 9s I feel like there’s hope but then immediately give up as I just can’t imagine someone as dumb and forgetful as me to be able to get good grades.

As the days go on I feel even dumber and inferior to everyone else as the more we learn in class the more I don’t understand and struggle whereas everyone else gets on with their work understanding it completely. When I talk about not understanding the work to my friends they either say “Ikr it’s so hard” even though they got all the questions right (-_- ) or they say “it’s either you get it or you don’t. I find it quite easy.” As the others would eagerly say “yea,yeah” and continue to brag about how they understand it.

I have my mocks in November and my German speaking mocks this month (October) . I haven’t started revising for any of them as I’m lost on what to do or how to revise for each subject and the main one that I’m lazy and procrastinate. Everyone in my Year loves to brag about how they started revising ‘since the start of Year 11’ or every single day they’ll update you about what they revised and for how long.

I sometimes just say “Okay. That’s nice.” or say “That’s great! I haven’t even started yet.” and then start laughing with them. Or sometimes I just lie and say that I started revising.

If I’m this much of a mess for my mocks I’m worried about my GCSEs. The amount of study YouTubers I watch that are in the same year as me but are studying everyday when they get home and are taking they’re life seriously really makes me envious or jealous idk anymore.

Sorry that this was long. I sounded quite spiteful. Please I just need any advice, I don’t really know what to start on for asking for advice - like an idiot I forgot what I mainly wanted to ask.
Sorry yet again.

Hey, coming from someone who procrastinated a *lot* during Year 11, I can totally relate to you. I can't even begin to tell you the number of Study with me's and How I got all 8/9's I watched to motivate me to revise.

All you need to do now is figure out what type of learner you are. Are you a visual learner (you see and can remember things), kinetic (you remember through writing out exam questions) or auditory (you remember through sound) ? Once you have that figured out (try an online quiz if you have to) go through different revision methods - flashcards, posters, podcasts etc. Try them all for a mini test coming up and see which ones worked the best. Then incorporate those methods (it may be a combination) into all of your subjects.
Sometimes sitting in a classroom for over an hour can seem worthless if you don't even understand the basic concepts. If so, stay a little longer after school and ask your teacher to go over the simple stuff. Sometimes tackling a simple idea or theory can lead you to begin to understand more complex ideas. For example, in geography once you learn how an earthquake forms you can then begin to understand how one might affect a country.

One method I used during my GCSE's was looking through a past paper, tackling some harder questions and then going through the mark scheme and looking at how and where the marks were rewarded. It may be conceived as cheating, but you'll already be prepared for the exam.

Some subjects may require different revision methods. For example, I revised Music through Mind Maps and Maths through practice papers and exam questions online.

Once you figure what revision works best for you, the motivation to revise will be there waiting for you. The hardest step is always the first step.

Good luck with your exams, I'm sure you'll smash them! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending